Skip to main content
Topic: Round 1 - Blues v Tigers (21 March) Pre-Game (Read 31600 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 1 - Blues v Tigers (21 March)

Reply #16
This 6-6-6 rule has to benefit us surely.

In the middle we have Crippa / Kennedy / Setterfield to get the hard ball. 

Samo / Fisher / Dow to get a clean break away. 

For a few moments we have an open forward line with Harry / Charlie / Gov to lead to space or clunk a contested mark.

Have we finally lead the way and got ourselves into prime position to take advantage of the new rules?  Maybe a fluke, maybe good planning, but I can't see how this doesn't helps us.

What we really need to also take advantage of is the kicking in from a point.  Not sure who our best option is there.  We want someone fast, with good decision making, and nice foot skills. I dunno - just chucking a few names out there, but maybe O'brien / Simmo / Newman ?

Reply #17

For a few moments we have an open forward line with Harry / Charlie / Gov to lead to space or clunk a contested mark.

Have we finally lead the way and got ourselves into prime position to take advantage of the new rules?  Maybe a fluke, maybe good planning, but I can't see how this doesn't helps us.

What we really need to also take advantage of is the kicking in from a point.  Not sure who our best option is there.  We want someone fast, with good decision making, and nice foot skills. I dunno - just chucking a few names out there, but maybe O'brien / Simmo / Newman ?

Schumacher....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #19
Yes lovely kick, a bit inexperienced but has the skills.

Maybe the day will come when the kicker in (ala NFL footy) kicks and does nothing else!  :o
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #21
A few people on here seem to rate Angus.  Highlights look good (thanks for posting that link).  Anyone seen him play and think he might make it?

Reply #22

There was some discussion of the impact of the 6-6-6 rule during the AFLW game.  It was suggested that good centre clearance teams will have an advantage if they can get the ball out of the square before the opposition gets more players behind the ball.  It will be only a matter of seconds so our defensive option must be to keep the ball in the square.

I would expect Simmo to continue to take the bulk of the kick ins.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #23
For me the tactics will simply evolve slightly from the get go.

What will be interesting is what happens mid game as players tire and what that means for where they start at the next bounce.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #24
The coaches who want 7 in the back line have probably already worked out how to make it happen pretty much straight away anyhow.

Reply #25
I expect teams will send "tackling crews" in after the opposition score a goal, especially if they have a couple in a row and they need to arrest the momentum. These guys will just ensure the ball is killed and by the time the secondary ball up occurs they will have 7 or 8 in defensive 50

Reply #26
The coaches who want 7 in the back line have probably already worked out how to make it happen pretty much straight away anyhow.

Just get your 7th defender to stand on the 50m line.

However, it seems that the major consequence of 6-6-6 is that only four extra players will be able to get into the square immediately the ball is bounced.  That should give good clearance teams an extra couple of seconds to get the ball into space and kick inside 50.  Having one of your centre 6 rushing into the defensive 50 will create another advantage for the opposition.

The make up of the four players who start in the square will be interesting - and we will have an advantage if Kreuzer can get back on the park.  Our other rucks just don't have a second effort when the ball hits the ground.  I am thinking that most teams will play only one defensive mid - unless they are leaking centre clearances - and I'm not sure that being too defensive will pay off.

It will be interesting to see what tactics have been developed over the off season and even more interesting to see which coaches have come up with tactics that work.  I suspect that club operatives have spent a bit of time at other clubs' training sessions.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #27
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/fasolo-on-fast-road-back-set-to-play-jlt-20190219-p50yw2.html

Carlton recruit Alex Fasolo has made a remarkable comeback from his fractured arm and is now set to play for the Blues in the JLT series.

Fasolo has had the brace removed from his arm and has joined in match simulation at the club in recent days. He is expected to play in the JLT practice match series, most likely in the second week of the practice matches.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #28
"Carlton recruit Alex Fasolo has made a remarkable comeback from his fractured arm and is now set to play for the Blues in the JLT series.

Fasolo has had the brace removed from his arm and has joined in match simulation at the club in recent days. He is expected to play in the JLT practice match series, most likely in the second week of the practice matches."

Remarkable recovery!  I wonder what treatment he was on ... or does he just have fast knitting bones?

That means we're missing Doc, Pickett, Kreuzer and Marchbank ... and we're not sure about Williamson.  Kreuzer and Marchbank should be right to go by Round 1, if not in the JLT series.

Reply #29
Faz available for JLT..... is that a speedy recovery or what?
I'm not complaining of course. I hope this is a sign for things to come.
How would it be if our boys returned sooner rather than later (and fully fit) from injury instead of vice versa  ::)
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.