Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Pandemonium: AFL Rd 3: Carlton vs Fremantle (Read 9851 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Pandemonium: AFL Rd 3: Carlton vs Fremantle

Reply #45
Good solid team game, no real brilliance but a 45 point win, playing a bruising style. I don't see why we would change the team at all, sure we may have had some quite players, but I saw someone write that Newnes should be dropped, I don't understand why 23 disposals, none overly flashy, but provided a nice link player to help get the handball chains going. Can't see how you'd drop Newnes.

I also fell through the floor when I saw that someone said Williamson needs to come back in, WHY? He's been crap this season and Parks did more in his first game that Willo has this season.

As for dropping Plowman, who's going to be that defender who goes to the best small or mid. Sure he got beat last week, but we had just one AFL listed defender playing in the VFL this week in Williamson, who was playing worse and could shut down anybody, cause he wear roller skates and slips over continually. When you've finished so high in the B&F for continual years, you will get the chance to redeem yourself, which I though Plowman did today, 10 marks and 21 poss with 327 meters gained.

As mentioned Fogarty is a great get, possibly the best of all three or at least an equal to. 25 disposals, 7 tackles, 3 clearances, 440 meters gained playing mainly as a HFF, plus his lowering of the eyes was outstanding. He's a 200 gamer.

Harry won't get it much easier than that, ball coming in low and fast, with a third rate backman on him who gave up front position all day long. It a shame that he only got 7 goals, Harry has to kick the left hand side of the field goals where he can't snap round the corner.

I got into Cripps last week, this week credit where it's due, he was much better, and he also did the hand over to a HFF on occasions, he played well as a forward and straight kicking shows there is some future in attack on a more regular basis. 34 Poss, 11 clearances and 2 goals. But they had a better balance across the centre with starting square of Cripps, Williams and Ed, with Walsh on the wing who had to be best on ground today 37 touches with 4 tackles and they were hard possessions.

Jones was outstanding down back, playing his own game, Gibbons was very good as well, same with Jack. It was a team win.

The first half especially reminded me of a Richmond type playing style, running in numbers and just the will to get the ball forward any way and arriving in number at every contest, get it to the right player to kick it forward.

Reply #46

Laughable comment.

A small forward feeds when the ball hits the deck....

everything went harry's way - who should have kicked 12.

There simply wasn't enough crumb for any small foward/

What crap.   Levi and Harry early dropped plenty of marks early.   We scrapped plenty of goals from inside 50's.

Murphy who everyone wants gone was 78% forward, had 6 score involvements, 12 touches and kicked 1.1

Eddie was underdone and had 4 touches for the game.     In the worst 4 on the ground for the Blues

Long term Durdin and Honey will offer more.

Reply #47
Newnes plays wing and works pretty hard defensively.   Named in our best Round 1 and good again today.   Strange comment to call for him to be dropped

Reply #48
What crap.   Levi and Harry early dropped plenty of marks early.   We scrapped plenty of goals from inside 50's.

Murphy who everyone wants gone was 78% forward, had 6 score involvements, 12 touches and kicked 1.1

Eddie was underdone and had 4 touches for the game.     In the worst 4 on the ground for the Blues

Agree. Love Eddie but he is only going to be used when we have injuries. Shouldn’t get a game if fisher is available.
In the meantime I would prefer to see Cunningham given a block of games.

I mean if Cunningham played eddies game today (4 touches and one goal) most would say it’s not enough.

Reply #49

First game back, put plenty of pressure on....did his job.

stats mean jack sometimes.

you should know better.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #50
Good win but I'm a hard marker and Freo are rubbish. Its was a poor standard game IMO and while I thought we had some good players it wasnt a dominant crushing victory that had me willing to say we are back on track. Happy to get a win and the four points but plenty of improvement needed IMO.
My thoughts on a few players:
Docherty.....really good IMO, I thought he was back to his best and showed a lot of courage going back in flight with the ball
and it was his best game of the season.
Jones...BOG imo, took a heap of marks, smothered Taberner and was the rock down back.
Plowman...ok, Walters looked short of fitness and wasnt at his best but I'd call Plowman serviceable.
Weitering....did what he had to do, nothing outstanding required, Darcy was the other KP Forward and is a ruckman so his forward craft is limited and JW did his job.
Parks.....some good marks, kicking is a bit ropey with that two handed ball drop but he puts himself in and it was a decent debut.
Saad...class above most on the ground, handled the ball well and makes good decisions, very happy to have him onboard.
Newnes...continues to perform and  was solid again...
Cripps....best game for the season and looked better for the longer break. Got targeted and reminded me of Chris Judd with shoulder tape flapping but stood up well as Freo tried to upset him, one of our best today.
Cottrell.....like him in the team, he is better than LOB, Dow, Cuningham and a few others, he goes hard, plays within his limitations
and gives you a contest. Wont give you 30 possies but will give you tackles and chase like he means it which is important .
Jack....ditto to Cottrell, nothing pretty about the way Jack plays but we all know he has a go and will give you effort.
Levi.....not great, Freo have a midget backline but he didnt really trouble them and his kicking has gone backwards, as a part time ruck he is so so.
Eddie....quicker game doesnt suit those old legs and he cant get the take off for the Liam Ryan speccy either anymore.
He is cooked but while Fisher and Martin are out he has to play and he does take a good player to mind him.
Murphy...couple of good things but just treading water in the team IMO.
Harry... had a day out playing on the Freo little defenders....Cox is 194cm and Ryan 186cm so Harry did what Harry should do and that was out mark them easily...one of our best and could have kicked ten.
Pittonet....thought he was good...Meek and Darcy are big inexperienced kids but he looked in control and was a steady player all day.
Ed Curnow....typical Ed game, very serviceable.
Walsh....racked up the possies and was his usual consistent self, as with most Walsh games there isnt much to criticise other than his ball use by foot which could have been better.
SPS...interesting player as always, got plenty of ball , gave us some run, used it ok but why do I remain unconvinced?
Gibbons.....was ok, got plenty of ball and used it well most times, didnt have much to crumb up forward with Harry clunking everything and another reasonable game..
Dow...not great but I'd keep persisting with him, looks panicky with ball in hand and needs a big breakout game....
Fogarty.. Great, plenty of ball, used it well, goals and looks like a steal from the Cats.
Williams.. Got Injured and wasn't a factor..

I wouldnt make too many changes and would leave Levi in the team, be a No to McGovern coming back, prefer our present setup and he hasnt earned the right yet to be an automatic based on 3 goals vs a very ordinary Williamstown lineup.
Eddie stays in also....

Reply #51
I wouldnt make too many changes and would leave Levi in the team, be a No to McGovern coming back, prefer our present setup and he hasnt earned the right yet to be an automatic based on 3 goals vs a very ordinary Williamstown lineup.
Eddie stays in also....
Yes, subject to recovery I agree no changes.

I too think the win is not as good as the stats and scoreboard might suggest, but hopefully it helps a few find confidence and form. Jones, Doc and Cripps in particular.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #52
Only saw the extended highlights and not the whole game. But does seem like it’s a slightly easier game when you actually get paid a free or 2, especially in front of goal.
I reckon we got our first couple of holding the balls for the year and H his first couple of frees for the year.
Now they just have to do it for us v the tigs or the hawks or the pies

Good to see a 7 goal win where we really didn’t hit top gear.

Hopefully this last couple of weeks is the start of something huge for H (if he could start kicking straight, even better)

Reply #53
Generally agree with Elwood. Freo had a few big men unavailable and were down on rotations in game due to injuries. They had the better of us for some of the 3rd and the last. I wouldn't be getting carried away just yet.

Reply #54
I don’t think anyone’s getting carried away but confidence is huge, and wins build confidence so I dont care how we get them, but the bigger the win the better!

Reply #55
That was the most disappointing big win ive ever witnessed.

Kudos to Harry for kicking 7, should have kicked 10.

Leaked some scrappy goals.

Took the foot off the throat and took us half the first quarter to get going.

Don't get me wrong im happy to have won, but a proper side would have done what the bulldogs did to North on good Friday.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #56
We used Dow badly early in his career. Gave him all the tough jobs from the start rather than lesser roles for his development. Way to ruin a young player. Probably swap Stocker for him next week.

Gov in for Levi, who just didn't come into the season fit and needs a run in the twos to get his confidence back. Good player when confident, not much use to anyone when not. Just means Jones or McKay would have to relief ruck.

That's a recipe for disaster!

I wouldn't be promoting McGovern on the basis of average form in a VFL practice match.  I also wouldn't be undervaluing Casboult's contribution as back up ruckman and foil for Harry ... and he made a mess of a couple of Freo players.

I thought Dow was OK too and he was set up with a couple of hospital handpasses.  I'd like to see Stocker get a run  but, once again, patchy form in a VFL practice match shouldn't be enough to displace Dow.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #57
Whether us fans believe it or not Plowman must be highly respected by the club. I hated his game last week and his attitude post match topped it off but thought he was one of our bets in Round 1

He again this week played a solid game on a very dangerous opponent.

When i saw him go to Walters I like many i guess thought omg this could get ugly fast but not this week. Walters first goal was from a soft free with his usual staging working and I think he only kicked one other so our man takes the points IMO.

Also he intercepted very well this week and foot skills were clean.  Fair is fair he cops it hard when he fails he should receive the praise when he has a game like today.  
I also thought he was one of our best against the Tiggers and I think he is a good player. 

He isn't super-tall or super-fast or super-anything but he is consistently given jobs that test his capabilities and he is too often exposed when played in the last line of defence because he tends to panic and grab. Whenever he gets a bit further up the ground he looks poised and can contribute offensively.

Maybe Oscar McD could be used in defence to allow Plowman to play more at HB and shift SPS out of defence.

Reply #58
Jones went really well in the ruck before his recall a few years ago. Ran around like a madman killing opposition players, taking marks, getting a heap of touches and even kicking goals.
That was against VFL opposition - I wouldn't risk him.

Reply #59
Betts is better than Fisher by some margin as a small forward....

WAS not IS.  I really like old man Eddie but I doubt we can carry him and Murph in the same team.