Skip to main content
Topic: The Front Half (Read 4965 times) previous topic - next topic

The Front Half

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2014-10-07/forwardthinking-brad-talks-blues-front-half-prospects

“Then you look at Lachie Henderson and you think, ‘Gee, if Lachie can get in a full pre-season and came into the year fully fit then we’ve got a very good player, a four or five-goal-a-game player there – and everyone knows how capable ‘Hendo’ is in playing both forward and back,” Green said.

Henderson has had a couple of injury affected pre-seasons during his time at Carlton..... 2011 and last year
He has struggled in each of those seasons despite the odd good game.
He's a player that  seems like he needs a good preparation.
Hopefully he gets that this year.

Re: The Front Half

Reply #1
Henderson and Menzel need to get the best prep they can for the next season and step it up on the field. Levi cannot be our only forward option as the other two damage the scoreboard more effectively.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #2
Don't see hendo getting a Coleman medal myself. I feel a bit uneasy with him holding the number 1 spot actually.

Reply #3
Four to five goals.....that's a hundred goals a year. Keep dreaming. He's a great player but just how great we will have to wait and see.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #4
Hopefully we see him getting 2 or 3 a game rather than 4 or 5, and the rest get a couple a game as well.  Id rather have 5 forwards kick 40+ goals a year than one coleman medalist anyway.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #5
Hopefully we see him getting 2 or 3 a game rather than 4 or 5, and the rest get a couple a game as well.  Id rather have 5 forwards kick 40+ goals a year than one coleman medalist anyway.

How about a Coleman medalist and four >40 goal forwards?  ;)

Henderson does a lot of work up the ground and I can't see how he could consistently kick 4-5 goals per game with that role (he's not really in the Buddy or Roughy class).  No-one on our list stands out as a potential Coleman medalist and I don't think any of the touted trades or draft picks will either.  Our best chance of improving our position on the ladder is to have a good spread of goal kickers, say 3 or 4 forwards with 150 goals between them and 3 or 4 midfielders/rucks/defenders contributing another 60-80 goals.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #6

Agree with that. Although I still feel if we are going to do anything next year Hendo needs to be in the 40-50 goals range atleast, Menzel 20-30, Walker 20-30 if he is played forward (praying) another 20+ from whoever else is the key forward and our mids, Gibbs, Murphy and Yarran need to be aiming for 20+ years as well.

Reply #7
Hendo needs to work into games. He's not a contested marking animal, nor is he particularly quick, but he's a smart player who works up the ground well and is a good kick. If he can get a good perpetration under his belt we might see more strings to his bow. Ideally not the number one banana up forward, but so valuable as a swingman.
Eat more chooks

Reply #8
Hendo needs to work into games. He's not a contested marking animal, nor is he particularly quick, but he's a smart player who works up the ground well and is a good kick. If he can get a good perpetration under his belt we might see more strings to his bow. Ideally not the number one banana up forward, but so valuable as a swingman.

Agree with everything you wrote..Henderson is more comfortable at CHB IMO than making the play up forward but he is going to have to learn the Key Forward position's and be the main man now Waite has gone.
I think he is an excellent footballer and one of our best when fit and firing and if we are too succeed a lot of the goal-kicking responsibility will fall on him being a more reliable player than our other options...
Casboult, Watson and Liam Jones have no game below their knees and rely on their marking only  and cannot be played together IMO, we need Henderson, Walker etc down forward to give us some different options and variety.