Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 12: Post Game Purgatory: Carlton vs St. Kilda (Read 34793 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 12: Post Game Purgatory: Carlton vs St. Kilda

Reply #105
By far the worst thing about the game was that obnoxious line by line deconstruction of the saints theme song after every goal.......felt like throwing up

Reply #106
Watching on TV, so don't get to see play develop, it appeared that at least we didn't just get the ball and kick to to 1 on 3 or 4 in our forward half like we used to (apart from the first 10 minutes when the ball was exclusively in their forward line).

Disappointing, yes, but we haven't had a whole lot to complain about recently.

Reply #107
Effort was poor and reminded me of our 'bad old days'. Horrible to watch and extremely frustrating!

I'm concerned, yet again mind you, for Bryce Gibbs that he gets a hard tag and then becomes quite ineffective. Young Patrick Cripps seems to be able to really work hard inside and wok his way through.

Whilst our bottom end players have been giving effort of recent times, when they don't or our team as a collective if 'off', we get caught our with limited resources in the midfield and talent pool.

Kreuzer looked really lame and reckon he just was a tad off in movement and mind.

Phillips Id like back in, but am a little hesitant in leaving Gorringe out. Can we play them both with Kreuzer and Casboult, with Everitt and White out....or does that limit our flexibility?

Gibbs had it 27 times in a midfield that GOT NO SERVICE from the ruckman.

He did fumble a bit and shanked a couple. Other than that he was far from our worst.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #108

He did fumble a bit and shanked a couple. Other than that he was far from our worst.

At times Gibbs tried too hard to create something out of nothing.  For example, he attempted to centre the ball to Byrne and it resulted in a turnover.  The kick was a little short but Byrne was bumped and that hindered his ability to get to the ball.  It was a low percentage kick but someone like Docherty or Simpson would taken the mark.  High risk, high reward but punishing when it doesn't come off.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #109

Yeah I know he touched it 27 times. Never said he was our worst.

His impact was low IMO. You cannot rely on the our ruckman for silver service each week. Gotta find other ways to impact games if you want to be called an A-grader permanently. I'd love for him to have a higher impact when getting tagged. That Geelong style game more than not.

Reply #110
Gibbs spent too much time trying to knock Steven over.  The coach may have instructed Gibbs and others to target Steven but it would have been more effective if they had smashed him when he had the ball.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #111
By far the worst thing about the game was that obnoxious line by line deconstruction of the saints theme song after every goal.......felt like throwing up

That came through on both the radio and the tv as well. Very annoying.

Reply #112
Gibbs spent too much time trying to knock Steven over.  The coach may have instructed Gibbs and others to target Steven but it would have been more effective if they had smashed him when he had the ball.

Maybe the coach figured we couldnt catch him so slowing him up when he didnt have the ball was the way to go.....I'd prefer if a skilled player like Gibbs stuck to doing what he does best by being creative and leave the
Steven Baker routine to less talented players...

Reply #113
Maybe the coach figured we couldnt catch him so slowing him up when he didnt have the ball was the way to go.....I'd prefer if a skilled player like Gibbs stuck to doing what he does best by being creative and leave the
Steven Baker routine to less talented players...
I just like the fact that we are talking about this thuggery in our team.
Finally we might have a little mongrel and unsociable football in us. >:(
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #114

It is a very Hawthorn-like tactic to target one opposition player.  While it's good to see us dishing it out rather than being the submissive recipients, I would prefer to see us going harder when the ball is in play rather than when it's in the umpire's hands.

Reply #115
It is a very Hawthorn-like tactic to target one opposition player.  While it's good to see us dishing it out rather than being the submissive recipients, I would prefer to see us going harder when the ball is in play rather than when it's in the umpire's hands.

The 3-peat era Lions were skilled practitioners of this tactic.

Reply #116
The 3-peat era Lions were skilled practitioners of this tactic.

They certainly had the personnel who were well equiped for the task like the Pirhana Twins, Chris Johnson, Copeland, Pike at al.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #117

But Gibbs as the thug?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #118
Yeah I know he touched it 27 times. Never said he was our worst.

His impact was low IMO.

Fairly accurate assessment. Nothing new though - most of Gibbs' career has been too much as a low impact accumulator. The stats sheet has been his best friend, not to mention the fanboys coming up with ridiculous excuses for his shortcomings. Like, his game was affected because he spent too much time knocking Stevens over, when this happened only once and in the second half (of course, if anyone can come up with evidence that he spent the whole game doing this, I'm all ears). And his dinky little turnover kick - sideways to a contest that missed the target - was Byrne's fault, not Bryce's (he was, apparently, pushing the envelope). 

Reply #119
Fairly accurate assessment. Nothing new though - most of Gibbs' career has been too much as a low impact accumulator. The stats sheet has been his best friend, not to mention the fanboys coming up with ridiculous excuses for his shortcomings. Like, his game was affected because he spent too much time knocking Stevens over, when this happened only once and in the second half (of course, if anyone can come up with evidence that he spent the whole game doing this, I'm all ears). And his dinky little turnover kick - sideways to a contest that missed the target - was Byrne's fault, not Bryce's (he was, apparently, pushing the envelope).

Fanboy?

No, just a supporter who watches games with an open mind and without an agenda.  Everyone who pulls on a Carlton jumper gets my support first and foremost, and praise or criticism as deserved.

I also quite enjoy baiting Gibbs haters  :)