Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge RD 2 : Carlton V Adelaide (Prior Poncing & Punting) (Read 69608 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NAB Challenge RD 2 : Carlton V Adelaide (Prior Poncing & Punting)

Reply #135
Results dont matter but Individual perfomance and improvement does....

So what's the prognosis 2014, Elwood?

If Henderson and Waite can play the Key forward positions for most of the year then we can make the eight and maybe win a final or two, if that doesnt happen then we will struggle to kick goals and will be relying on the likes of Essendon or some other steroid happy club to allow us finals entry by default again.
Casboult and Rowe dont cut it, also Henderson playing forward leaves a large gaping hole down back which Watson will have to fill and his improvement , form and fitness will also have a bearing on how we go.
Of course the Malthouse game plan is still in the embryo stage as far as learning goes and maybe he can fine tune that to make up some ground on the leading teams.
2014 is more about putting some more peices of the puzzle together but I dont expect to see the puzzle finished....

PS..Nice to see you posting Java and look forward to your offerings in 2014....

Reply #136
The good news

No (serious) injuries !!!! I did see Yarran limping around the rooms at 3 qtr time.

Daisy's ankle is fine !! He played a good debut game, nothing flashy, just a solid contribution with good skills.

I like the look of Cripps, I was concerned he may be a bit 1 dimensional, but I saw tonight that as well as his clearance work, he has a good kick and can link up reasonably well too. I was pleased to see it !!

Ellard, 3 goals, he is quite a handy small forward, he just seems to be able to find the right place to be on a fairly consistent basis.

What I didn't like

Our marking. Both players and the ball.

Marks inside forward 50 were 11 - 6 Adelaide's way
Contested marks were 8 - 4 Adelaide's way
Around the ground and especially inside our own forward 50 we have to make sure thast if we do not mark the ball that the ball comes to ground. Allowing the opposition to mark in a contested situation happened tonight too easily for me. And the other frustrating part was that they seemed to mark in our F50 with ease. :(

I actually think the club could do with a marking coach or something !

And then, they would run the ball out with apparent ease. It looked like we were playing some kind of loose zone, which all too often they ran and kicked through with way too much ease, and yet it seemed every time we went to go forward we would have to kick to a contest !!!
It was a very frustrating game for me to watch !!
1 + I guess was that I did notice that we were trying to at least some extent kick the ball to advantage when going forward. Adelaide were playing with a spare man back and the ball was often coming into a 2 on 1 contest which didn't help us.

I know it's only pre-season but in future I would like to see more pressure applied when we don't have the ball, and more structure when bringing the ball into our F50.

I'm not asking much am I ??!!!

I like EB's comment on Buckley, it seems he has been given instruction to take the game on, and my goodness does he have a crack !!
At the moment he's getting caught a little too much, but hopefully experience will teach him when to run and when to use 1st option.
He's worth persisting with IMO.

Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #137
Gibbs....went of early for a shower, hopefully to get a decent haircut and remove that headband he stole off some little girl.

With all due respect EB I think you are letting your personal opinion of appearance deflect from the actual performance. Gibbs was very good tonight (more so than Murphy) and I think MM had seen enough to give him a deserved rest

21 disposals (incl. 3 clearances) from 56% game time. Gibbs was very good. Don't know what game EB was watching.

Reply #138
Kruezer.....cant mark the ball, teases you with the odd grab but just drops too many he should take...as a forward you can forget it.
Jacobs beat both him and Wood in the hitouts that mattered and we were slaughtered at the clearances....

Gibbs....went off at end of 3/4 for a shower, hopefully to get a decent haircut and remove that headband he stole off some little girl....didnt really have much impact IMO..

Kreuzer actually got his hands to the ball which was an improvement but if you watch him he drops his eyes before the ball reaches his hands which is a surprise because he's not a pussy but it is the act of one. Saw him do it 3-4 times and he dropped all of them. Must watch the ball into the hands.

Thought Gibbs was excellent.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #139
Of the others Cripps looks to be another Jab Watson in the making the way he moves and will certainly pay a lot this year. Could have sworn the commentators said he is 193cm and 91kg that is some serious size for a mid. You can see how he has it over blokes like Murphy and Gibbs in traffic already, does the right things, releases the ball at the right time.

Buckley looking very exciting took it up another cog again from last week. Heaps of dash and a nice long kick on him I think both he and Yarran will provide great run this year out of defence.

Menzel just love this kid's hardness, is there anything better than a hard skilled player that tackles with intent? Has won me over already. Easily the best tackler in the team already a few of our 'prettier' players could take a leaf out of his book.

Thomas just looks all class, does the right thing, makes few errors, another A-grader out there.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #140
Results dont matter but Individual perfomance and improvement does....

......Looking for improvement in players but hard to find.

This is the key for me... Results in these games aren't important. I'm looking for improvement from some of the fringe players from last year. Improvement that would see them step into a starting 22.
Unfortunately I'm not seeing a lot.

Reply #141
happy with Watto's inprovement. Whilst it hasnt by any means translated into certainty as yet, he is miles ahead of where he was at the same time last year.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #142
Gibbs....went of early for a shower, hopefully to get a decent haircut and remove that headband he stole off some little girl.

With all due respect EB I think you are letting your personal opinion of appearance deflect from the actual performance. Gibbs was very good tonight (more so than Murphy) and I think MM had seen enough to give him a deserved rest

21 disposals (incl. 3 clearances) from 56% game time. Gibbs was very good. Don't know what game EB was watching.

I'm not disputing his stats, he always gets stats.....my beef is he doesnt effect games, Dangerfield probably had it less but wins games......

Brodie Smith had it 25 times for the Crows, Wright had it 30 times...did I think they were great players on the night...handy would have been my description....
Mckernan probably had it a dozen times only but probably won them the game along with Dangerfield and Talia who beat Waite.

Gibbs has to produce more of the big plays to win us some games rather than just being a collector of stats, thats why he will continue to be under the microscope from not just me but the media and supporters...

Reply #143
Agree with Elwood on Casboult and Rowe. They, at this stage, are not close to up to it so more pressure goes onto the other big blokes. Those two along with Wood are our backups.

Watson needs to get time at CHB and play there. We need to see where this blokes is at over a sustained period of time. If he's not up to it we look to another alternative(s).

Key backs - Jamison, Watson
Key forwards - Waite, Henderson
Rucks - Warnock, Kreuzer

That'll have to be our no.1 setup re big blokes I think and we'll hopefully have them fit and healthy for the year to give us any chance of success.

I'm liking the output of Everitt, Ellard, Buckley and Cripps. Doing well those blokes. Would be good to see Docherty get a gig soon also. I think Ellard, Buckley and Cripps - all different types - give us something at AFL level which is great.

Reply #144
From what little I heard on SEN, it sounded like Bell won a lot of the ball but butchered it badly....

comments?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #145
From what little I heard on SEN, it sounded like Bell won a lot of the ball but butchered it badly....

comments?

Id agree with that.

He's seems hard to get down in a tackle which I love and he just 'sees ball get ball' which is greta agin but he needs a little more finesse and fine tuning but plenty to work with.

I do like him playing forward I must say, hard matchup. I wanted this to happen last year and good to see him spend time there. Could be a sort of mobile CHF, albeit smaller, but he is so robust at any contest and just gut runs.

Reply #146

comments?

Fair comment......I'm a fan of Tom Bell and the way he goes about it and it was interesting to hear Chris Judd who was a guest commentator saying he has a role mentoring Bell but he doesnt seem to have had much effect as yet. Bell attacked the ball well, but also ran past it a few times and as SEN suggested delivered it in a hap hazard fashion.

He doesnt have that edge of class required at the moment and when you pair him with Robbo you get get great attack on the footy but your forwards have little hope of ever getting a decent pass..

Reply #147
Hard to know what to make of it... Really scrappy, ugly game (the North game was a much better standard), leading at 3/4 time and Mick pulls the pin. 

Reply #148
Both Bell and Robbo without doubt are hard nuts and go in for the ball/man without hesitation. However both are not instinctively smart or highly skilled and so their disposal and ability to make telling plays are limited. OK, we may get some improvement from them over time but essentially they will always be bullocking ball winners rather than silky play makers.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #149
The negatives probably slightly outweighted the positives last night for mine. Up until 3/4 time it had been a real defensive arm wrestle, and then they broke it open it the last and ran all over us.

Things that worried me;
- smashed in the centre clearances
- kicking turnovers
- forward structure and inability to hold the ball in our 50.
- Bootsma, Rowe, McInnes, Casboult. Players on the fringe who I hoped might have improved over the pre-season and press for selection. On the last 2 weeks performances it is very hard to see any of these 4 pushing for selection or having any impact. We have pumped a lot of game time into the Bootsma experiment and he is still miles away from being an AFL standard player; it is actually embarrassing to watch him out there against real footballers.
- Waite and Kruz are only just going. At least they got a run under their belts and came through injury free. Cam Wood has been our most effective big man in both games.

Things that impressed me;
- tackling and contested pressure for the first 3 qtrs. Just wish the umps would reward good tackles.
- Thomas looks very polished after a long lay off
- Cripps showed more in qtr than a lot of our recent recruits have shown in their whole careers
- Gibbs in and under and laid 5 tackles in just half a game
- Buckley has a red hot go, and leaves nothing behind. Still raw, but shows he has some hope of making it. Got it 16 times, wasted it a fair bit, but his intensity and effort are first class.
- Ellard was a very handy contributor and a smart footballer [kicked 3 of 9 goals]. Just wish he was 6 inches taller and he would be a gun. Just not sure where he fits into the structure.
- Menzels kicking and tackling. His kick for goal was sublime. Just needs to get more involved over 4 qtrs.
- Watson was probably our best defender
- No major injuries

Deleted the tape as soon as the game ended. Not something you'd want to watch a second time!