Skip to main content
Topic: Reset Rants (Read 67368 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Reset Rants

Reply #225
A decent midfield covers a lot if sins.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #226
We do have Fisher (finding his feet quickly), Lang (should be in the 1s next week), SPS (presently on holidays), Garlett (needs to get involved more but oozes class) and Pickett (cursed) to provide outside run....

O'Brien will be a beauty.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #227
The midfield is already sorted, it just needs the time and stability, any reasonable person can see that!

I started a post earlier today to argue against this and ended up scrapping it because I came around to the opinion that it was looking pretty promising.

We have known quantities in Cripps, Murphy, Ed Curnow

Kennedy and Lang we'll have to wait until they're fully fit.

Fisher looks like a long term player for us.

SPS Cunningham Polson have potential... it depends on their development.

Dow and O'Brien the same.

Throw Docherty into the mix, which may possibly have been the intention if he hadn't been injured, and it doesn't look too bad.

With the one qualification that our development of these young players has to be better than it's been in the past.

...and a tilt at an available elite midfielder wouldn't go astray ;)

Reply #229
Positively masochistic!
;D Been in pain since the early 2000's, with a brief breath of fresh air when Judd came across, then back to more pain since Ratts was given the boot. Although not having won a game in our last 14? Outings I am sticking fat and being patient.
The amount of top end talent we have is absurd. Another 50-60 games together and we will be rewarded.

Problem that we will deal with as does every bottom club is player retention. Free agency has sorted it good and proper. Our jury list atm is concerning as well. But this "reset" is going to have its ups and downs and right now we are in a very down period. Only way is up from here. Must sign Cripps to a 9 year $8 million deal  >:D and give him the captaincy with Doc next year

Reply #230
;D Been in pain since the early 2000's, with a brief breath of fresh air when Judd came across, then back to more pain since Ratts was given the boot. Although not having won a game in our last 14? Outings I am sticking fat and being patient.
The amount of top end talent we have is absurd. Another 50-60 games together and we will be rewarded.

Problem that we will deal with as does every bottom club is player retention. Free agency has sorted it good and proper. Our jury list atm is concerning as well. But this "reset" is going to have its ups and downs and right now we are in a very down period. Only way is up from here. Must sign Cripps to a 9 year $8 million deal  >:D and give him the captaincy with Doc next year
Agree with except:
- No more fat cat deals for anyone no matter what. Creates instability amongst the group when one or two are taking the majority of the cap. History tells us this. Need to to create a environment where players want to stay and be part of something special. Financial reward becomes secondary (refer Geel and Haw). Fellas like Cripps and Charlie fit this profile.
- Dont agree with multiple captains. With Murph out, Crippa has had a chance to strut his stuff and he is captain material personified IMO. Shame Doc isnt available to have a go and show his wears. I dont dont he has the right stuff, would like to see it though. At seasons end, I think it will come down to Murph wanting to pass the baton and then players picking either Doc or Crippa.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #231
I started a post earlier today to argue against this and ended up scrapping it because I came around to the opinion that it was looking pretty promising.

We have known quantities in Cripps, Murphy, Ed Curnow

Kennedy and Lang we'll have to wait until they're fully fit.

Fisher looks like a long term player for us.

SPS Cunningham Polson have potential... it depends on their development.

Dow and O'Brien the same.

Throw Docherty into the mix, which may possibly have been the intention if he hadn't been injured, and it doesn't look too bad.

With the one qualification that our development of these young players has to be better than it's been in the past.

...and a tilt at an available elite midfielder wouldn't go astray ;)

All this sounds fine until Cripps says he wants to go home.  :o

I am very nervous he hasnt resigned......if it happens we are well and truly stuffed and no amount of spin from the club will get us out of the sh1te we will be in....

Reply #232

I am very nervous he hasnt resigned......if it happens we are well and truly stuffed and no amount of spin from the club will get us out of the sh1te we will be in....

There's actually nothing there that's a guarantee.
Injury, lack of recovery, lack of development, player discontent could all decimate the midfield we're setting up.
Some things are out of our control.
But you're right Shawny....we control the things we can, and re-signing Cripps is a priority.
They will come for him in waves.

Reply #233
There's actually nothing there that's a guarantee.
Injury, lack of recovery, lack of development, player discontent could all decimate the midfield we're setting up.
Some things are out of our control.
But you're right Shawny....we control the things we can, and re-signing Cripps is a priority.
They will come for him in waves.
I have no intel but its just my personal belief he wont go anywhere. If by some chance though he has decided to put contract talks off, then there is nothing the Club can do about it. I have no doubt they are trying to tie him up long term, if he doesn't want to (I think he wants to be a 1 club player), what can the club do? If he is driven by money and/or go home factor, there is nothing we can do.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #234
I have no intel but its just my personal belief he wont go anywhere. If by some chance though he has decided to put contract talks off, then there is nothing the Club can do about it. I have no doubt they are trying to tie him up long term, if he doesn't want to (I think he wants to be a 1 club player), what can the club do? If he is driven by money and/or go home factor, there is nothing we can do.

I agree there's nothing we can do if he wants out but imagine the media and fan uproar.

The rebuild will be seen as a farce if the one true superstar we have leaves before we even become competitive.

By the time Cripps contract is up Murphy will be pretty much gone and Ed will be in his last few years and he is no A grader.

That means our midfield will be led by who? Its a disaster if this eventuates.  

No matter how positive we can be one thing is certain, we will go backwards again if we cant get his signature. Have to retain Cripps and get in a Gaff, Wines, etc to be able to compete well with the better midfield groups. 

Reply #235

If I were Cripps I would be keeping my powder dry for now and keeping a close eye on how the rebuild is panning out. I would think he would prefer to be a one club player but if it becomes apparent to him that the rebuild is not going to amount to anything he may move on rather than spend the rest of his career on struggle street. What he does decide will be a very good indicator.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #236
If I were Cripps I would be keeping my powder dry for now and keeping a close eye on how the rebuild is panning out. I would think he would prefer to be a one club player but if it becomes apparent to him that the rebuild is not going to amount to anything he may move on rather than spend the rest of his career on struggle street. What he does decide will be a very good indicator.
Cookie I'd bet the family jewels he knows right now whether its on the right track and he wants to be part of it or not.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #237
Cookie I'd bet the family jewels he knows right now whether its on the right track and he wants to be part of it or not.

I don't know GTC but he's certainly putting his heart and soul into it so let's take that as a vote in!  8)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #238

He should be pretty wary of jumping ship too soon.

Buckley was in a hurry to get home back in the day, to play in a more competitive side. Missed the Lions 3-peat as a result.  :-[ >:D

Reply #239
Cripps probably has a better idea than any of us as to the state of the club.
His decision will go along way to determining opinions of where we're really at.

It would be a blow to confidence should he choose to go and a big boost should he decide to stay and be a part of any success.