Skip to main content
Topic: Giants Trample Blues - Post Match (Read 48137 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Giants Trample Blues - Post Match

Reply #30
... and a bunch of coaches who just make you wonder who appointed them and why.

The current senior coach was appointed on reputation alone, the senior coach before him was appointed because he was a club legend and already working for us, the senior coach before him was appointed as a last gasp effort by a dying board and president and the senior coach before him was appointed by the coach who preceded him.
A recipe for success?
I think not.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #31
A horrible reality is that had the GWS been cleaner with their disposals etc they could have and should have won by 100+

Last week MM commented that we'd hit rock bottom... well, we're amazing at something... the ability to redefine rock bottom on a weekly basis.

PI2C... I won't be giving up on the club or tearing up membership or anything like that, but you have to face the reality that this club at just about every level oozes failure in just about every area you can fail in this business. And this, when you have a truly great brand is just beyond comprehension. Might be time for the AFL to step in.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #32
Good grief, where does one start with this mob. Must say i enjoyed watching the giants at times. They have some fine players and watching Cameron play is like seeing a young Carey.

Anyway, back to our VFL cast offs...

Little run made for no confidence going forward and spent much of the game trapped. We are the worst kicking side in the league bar none now. We win clearences and contests but give up the ball so easily. There were hardly any times we strung 3 plus posessions together when going forward, indicating a lazy midfield and a terrible paucity of options forward.

As for the better players, it is slim pickings. Gibbs was probably the stand out, winning plenty of clearences and laying tackles. He worked hard. Bell, Casboult,  Judd worked hard and got a few rewards. Menzel did ok. In hindsight, Rowe battled, and with the service to Cameron, only having 5 kicked on him was about even. Curnow ran hard, and created opportunities, but his poor kicking and decision making negates his running efforts. Yarran was angry and frustrated and hardly surprising really.

The lack of tackling and general pressure was awful today. Everitt is a one effort player. Wood, Carrazzo,  Armfield, Ellard had little effect or impact. And hopefully the Watson experiment is over for good. He is not and never will be a league footballer. He was an odd selection and confirms that draft as a bust for us.

As mentioned, the kicking is just deplorable. There was one passage of play when White delivered the ball low, fast and flat to Casboult who took a good mark and goaled. This was the only bit of genuine quality 2015 league footy. Most other kicks forward were high up and unders, giving forwards no chance. Terrible football.

Where to now? It's only round 7 and we are the league easy beats. Am glad I am living on the other side of the world so I have an excuse to not turn up each week. Watching it on the telly means other more pleasurable things can be done like cleaning the oven and tripping over the kids' toys.

Next week we try try again.

Reply #33
Gibbs was garbage....

Reply #34

Reply #35
Gibbs was garbage....

No he wasn't. He's improved dramatically over the past 2 weeks... funny bloke though in that his clearances and so on, though plentiful are without fanfare so you don't notice. He was good, very good today.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #36
No he wasn't. He's improved dramatically over the past 2 weeks... funny bloke though in that his clearances and so on, though plentiful are without fanfare so you don't notice. He was good, very good today.

I disagree...I was at the game which means I dont see things when yiu watch the tv...he was running in spaces and doesnt take the game by the scruff of the neck....like murphy. ..watch Treloar he killed em for speed and hardness

Reply #37
And hopefully the Watson experiment is over for good. He is not and never will be a league footballer. He was an odd selection and confirms that draft as a bust for us.

And yet we've persevered with him for 5 years, and now every other club knows he's no good so we can't get a cracker for him at the trade table.
It's the story of our life, keep duds on the books for so long that we become accustomed to them.

The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #38
Gibbs was good Mossie. 10 clearances. Most on the ground.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #39
And yet we've persevered with him for 5 years, and now every other club knows he's no good so we can't get a cracker for him at the trade table.
It's the story of our life, keep duds on the books for so long that we become accustomed to them.

Persevering would've been giving him a go.

I really don't see how this confirms him as no good, not exactly the best game to judge him on.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #40
Persevering would've been giving him a go.

I really don't see how this confirms him as no good, not exactly the best game to judge him on.

Successful clubs know when to cut their losses and trade players out while they still have currency, it's an absolute miracle we got anything for Hampson but we'll get nothing for Watson.

Reply #41
What crap me to tears was whenever a GWS player had the ball there were always numerous options for them. You could see their structures working to create those options.

Contrast with us who had the option of kicking it across the ground or to a contest which wasn't in our favour.

78 inside 50s. Is that close to a record?

Don't be confusing structures with simple hard running. They did it. We didn't.

Unfortunately i was at the game. Not a whole lot of positives to come out of the game for us.

We played a loose man in defence for a large part of the game, and it didn't help us.

I'm sure the kick to kick on the backline pissed everyone off watching it on TV, well blame the players further up the ground. Everyone simply standing there, nobody presenting.
It was either...
- kick to a 50-50 along the boundary
- kick to a 2-on-1 down the middle
- Kick sideways to a free man

We chose the last option more often than not, with a sprinkling of the second option.

IF for some weird reason we were able to get the ball out of defence quickly, we were caught with our pants down as all 36 players were in our backline. So many time we started to break the lines and looked up and had not a single person to kick too. We had to put the breaks on and kick sideways or try and kick it to space and run onto it. But, as mentioned earlier, we refused to run hard and GWS always were the first back to mop up....usually with plenty of extra numbers to help out.

Our run/spread from stoppages is pretty much non-existent.
GWS' run/spread would be on a par with the best in the game. Its no surprise that they beat the hawks last week.

I know it's depressing that we lost to the n00bs by so much, but if i could borrow a quote from Mick "We played a very good football side tonight"

Reply #42
@B4L

Successful clubs at least take the time to give a first rounder a fair crack at a career.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!