Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs Hawthorn in Launceston (Read 27170 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs Hawthorn in Launceston

Reply #165
If you have 22 talls, with some that can move like Cripps, McKay and Charlie when they are in form, it's not going to be an issue.

I think the idea you can have too many of one type is highly over-rated, Leigh Matthews said he want a team of 22 Koutafides yet Kouta had some significant deficiencies in parts of his a game.

Horses for courses is a much better policy, with form based selection taking priority over a type!

Formulaic selection and coaching is a long term tactical dead end, it's what brought MM undone! No matter how good your plan, if the opposition know it they will bring you undone!

Yep form is a good guide but class is permanent.   You can from chocolates to boiled lollies all in one game and vice versa.

For reference see fevola when he got stuck on 99. He started the game with 92 goals, had 5 or so shots before half time to convert once, then kicked 6 in the second half.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #166
Yep form is a good guide but class is permanent.   You can from chocolates to boiled lollies all in one game and vice versa.

For reference see fevola when he got stuck on 99. He started the game with 92 goals, had 5 or so shots before half time to convert once, then kicked 6 in the second half.

Eleven shots at goal is good form, whether you are kicking straight or not makes no difference.

I suppose that tells you it's possible to be in good form and still play bad football, perhaps that was the point some had made about Charlie having a midfielder type work rate despite some poor returns.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #167
Eleven shots at goal is good form, whether you are kicking straight or not makes no difference.

I suppose that tells you it's possible to be in good form and still play bad football, perhaps that was the point some had made about Charlie having a midfielder type work rate despite some poor returns.

The point is fevola who is one of the games best ever forwards had weitering form all in one match.

Sometimes players can play through a form slump and be more valuable than others who are in cherry ripe form.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #168
The point is fevola who is one of the games best ever forwards had weitering form all in one match.

Sometimes players can play through a form slump and be more valuable than others who are in cherry ripe form.

True, all in one match, not four or five weeks in a row and while carrying an injury!

Media was all about what magic happened last week with McKay, but he was already at the top of the contested marking table which they just hadn't noticed. So they report his game last week like it's a miracle form reversal!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #169
For reference see fevola when he got stuck on 99.

With 6 / 6 /6 Fev would have got the ton that day.  Very hard to forgive Sniper Clarkson for his actions that day.  Hawthorn players were embarrassed to follow his orders.

Reply #170
With 6 / 6 /6 Fev would have got the ton that day.  Very hard to forgive Sniper Clarkson for his actions that day.  Hawthorn players were embarrassed to follow his orders.

Yes, I recall Roughead saying a couple of years back that he initially refused the request, I assume before being threatened with consequences!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #171
Final Team:  C Curnow IN      C Polson   OUT

I'd say CC is still doubtful as the radio said that he will be given 'every chance to prove his fitness' which is code for 'Get your gear on Matty Kennedy!!"

Reply #172
Too tall and too slow.

Reply #173
Crazy that LOB keeps a spot....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #174
Too tall and too slow.

Hawks left Ceglar out so maybe they agree with you, reckon Charlie wont play and Kennedy could be in, maybe he can help us with the weather...

Reply #176
This game is there for the taking...

The Dawks are in indifferent form, even unimpressive form (bar R1). This is one we should win and maybe, like last week, win well. They are unlikely to make as many mistakes as the Dishlickers did but still shouldn't be able to beat us.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #177
Box Hill Hawks play 1 pm Saturday.  It will be interesting to see if Ceglar turns up or whether he's shipped down to Launceston to cover for 'Big Boy'

Reply #178
Reading into what Bolts said (and how he said it) at his presser, I reckon Cunners will come in for Charlie (ie he seemed not certain CC would get up, seemed excited at the prospect of Cunners being able to come in).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #179
Crazy that LOB keeps a spot....

Why?  He did a great job on Hunter last game.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball