Skip to main content
Topic: Trumpled (Alternative Leading) (Read 385221 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Trumpled (Alternative Leading)

Reply #2610
They come from a base that's lost billions / trillions!

At the moment, it's a bit like buying a $100 lottery ticket, and celebrating that it's won $5.
Corp Travel Management(CTD) went down to around $4 during Covid and is around $20 now....thats a 5 bagger, not many investments where you can make 5 times your initial investment in such a short space of time. Like I said thats based on sentiment and confidence, nothing practically has changed for the company to justify that rise other than a feeling travel will return sooner than later and that the economic landscape will be steady as Thry suggested.

Reply #2611
Corp Travel Management(CTD) went down to around $4 during Covid and is around $20 now....thats a 5 bagger, not many investments where you can make 5 times your initial investment in such a short space of time. Like I said thats based on sentiment and confidence, nothing practically has changed for the company to justify that rise other than a feeling travel will return sooner than later and that the economic landscape will be steady as Thry suggested.
Meh, it's a good story, I don't know enough about CTD. But if they are like the entities I've used for brokering corporate travel or offering security and advice I think they are more comparable to the regional / local vendors than a monolith like a Qantas, Virgin or Singapore Airlines owned booking agency. A new business jet appearing in the market can boost a boutique company or division, and won't even deliver a ripple to the big boys, reminds me of the rumours surrounding Boom boosting Little's fortunes with his boutique terminal project.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2612
Meh, it's a good story, I don't know enough about CTD. But if they are like the entities I've used for brokering corporate travel or offering security and advice I think they are more comparable to the regional / local vendors than a monolith like a Qantas, Virgin or Singapore Airlines owned booking agency. A new business jet appearing in the market can boost a boutique company or division, and won't even deliver a ripple to the big boys, reminds me of the rumours surrounding Boom boosting Little's fortunes with his boutique terminal project.

CTD have a market cap of 2.33 Billion which compares to Flight Centre @around 3 Billion.
You would have doubled you money on Flight Centre and Webjet if you had bought in at the Covid lows.....so CTD was the favorite travel stock with punters.

Reply #2613
CTD have a market cap of 2.33 Billion which compares to Flight Centre @around 3 Billion.
You would have doubled you money on Flight Centre and Webjet if you had bought in at the Covid lows.....so CTD was the favorite travel stock with punters.
Fair enough EB1, but again you can find those that profit relative that those who don't.

If a Flight Center shareholder bought in a year ago today, at this moment they've lost 80% of their money, the reports paint them a Rembrandt using their own blood! Most of these losing are Mum and Dad investors, people who can't afford the loss, they probably bought in off the back of identical booster language a year ago!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2614
The power of distribution tools (GDS) and cornering the market are just massive.  Not the storefront at all.  Backend commissions and APIs rule sales.  Hectic business

Reply #2615
Fair enough EB1, but again you can find those that profit relative that those who don't.

If a Flight Center shareholder bough in a year ago today, at this moment they've lost 80% of their money, the reports paint them a Rembrandt using their own blood! Most of these losing and Mum and Dad investors, people who can't afford the loss, they probably bought in off the back of identical booster language a year ago!
The ASX was badly over valued last year and due for a pullback, Covid was the catalyst, Flight Centre was way too expensive at around $40....a lot of mum and dad investors would have had it for the dividend and be very light on this year.

Reply #2616
Yep.  I missed FLT at 9.80.  Im not interested in it after it started to run, and I am staying away as their next couple of years will be turbulent and they are raising capital to stay solvent.

It could go pear shape, and its why I chose them as the example of just how much sentiment can flick on hopes and dreams, let alone stability and a certain future.

I am not interested in getting bags.  I poured roughly 20k into the asx since march as i recognised an opportunity, and I avoided consumer discretionary, info tech, and travel like the plague.

Where did I go heavy?  Oil, and financials.  Completely smashed for no reason, pay dividends representing ROI, and will get back eventually.

2 to 3 years tops and if I can triple my cash Im good. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #2617
Yep.  I missed FLT at 9.80.  Im not interested in it after it started to run, and I am staying away as their next couple of years will be turbulent and they are raising capital to stay solvent.

It could go pear shape, and its why I chose them as the example of just how much sentiment can flick on hopes and dreams, let alone stability and a certain future.

I am not interested in getting bags.  I poured roughly 20k into the asx since march as i recognised an opportunity, and I avoided consumer discretionary, info tech, and travel like the plague.

Where did I go heavy?  Oil, and financials.  Completely smashed for no reason, pay dividends representing ROI, and will get back eventually.

2 to 3 years tops and if I can triple my cash Im good. 
I bought some more banking stocks while they were cheap and also some Magellan.
Did invest in some  IT with Dicker Data which I owned already and had a nibble at some Sydney Airport which I preferred to picking a individual travel stock. Not a fan of cyclicals like Oil, Iron ore etc but did add to a few other positions like utilities, REITS while they were cheap. I'm looking more for reliable dividends than growth stocks these days...

Reply #2619
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/sam-newman-slammed-over-vile-tweet-about-joe-biden/news-story/8d0b61312259f88fe4f03e811a3f2dcc

Yep, a class act right there.
Sam is missing the footy show and struggling without the attention, not sure if he actually says the stuff he says
with malice, its more about him being in the headlines again and trying to stay relevant. Think he needs a hobby....

Reply #2620
Sam is missing the footy show and struggling without the attention, not sure if he actually says the stuff he says
with malice, its more about him being in the headlines again and trying to stay relevant. Think he needs a hobby....

Hmm, I think it's more of a case of a leopard never changing his spots - granted I never watched it, but I'll confidently assert he was as big a knob head back when the show was on.

Reply #2621
Sam once had a motor vehicle accident with a car driven by my now late brother in law, Jim.  Sam leapt out of his car and stormed towards Jim's car.  Jim was a decent size, say 185cm and 95kg, but relatively small compared to Sam.  Jim got out of his car and Sam turned and ran back to his car, locked the doors and refused to get out.

He's a malevolent bully with attitudes that would fit right in with the worst of the Dark Ages raiders.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #2622
I bought some more banking stocks while they were cheap and also some Magellan.
Did invest in some  IT with Dicker Data which I owned already and had a nibble at some Sydney Airport which I preferred to picking a individual travel stock. Not a fan of cyclicals like Oil, Iron ore etc but did add to a few other positions like utilities, REITS while they were cheap. I'm looking more for reliable dividends than growth stocks these days...

There have been some solid companies way oversold and some dogs the other way.

For the most part I've gone for solid blue chip companies that have a history of paying dividends.   Some health, a staple, some materials,  solid companies.  Household names the lot, and even some that manufacture plasterboard and property.

At one point i was getting nervous because some of them are underperformed, but this is my 20 year retirement plan and im going to compound interest off dividends along the way. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #2623
After losing over 100k during the big fall I rejigged and sold off some and went heavily with those that pay fully franked dividends and are solid long term, one bank and mining then some funds. I find my broker fairly useless now and shy away from anything he recommends. lol Fortescue, who he told me to avoid, have been brilliant and I get over 100% return per year from my original investment.

Reply #2624
There have been some solid companies way oversold and some dogs the other way.

For the most part I've gone for solid blue chip companies that have a history of paying dividends.   Some health, a staple, some materials,  solid companies.  Household names the lot, and even some that manufacture plasterboard and property.

At one point i was getting nervous because some of them are underperformed, but this is my 20 year retirement plan and im going to compound interest off dividends along the way. 
I'm heavily in the Blue Chips, Utilities, Reits/trusts, supermarkets and the big LIC's and ETF's, still keeping a good portion of cash as well not that you get much in the banks these days but I sleep better than being 100% in stocks.