Skip to main content
Topic: Trumpled (Alternative Leading) (Read 389722 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Trumpled (Alternative Leading)

Reply #2625
I'm heavily in the Blue Chips, Utilities, Reits/trusts, supermarkets and the big LIC's and ETF's, still keeping a good portion of cash as well not that you get much in the banks these days but I sleep better than being 100% in stocks.

I think you need about two years of spending in cash so you can ride out the inevitable storms.  It crossed my mind to sell everything before it hit the fan here but because of that buffer I decided not to..  Whilst I've recovered most of the losses there were some real bargains at the height of the storm.

The sharemarket is gambling and highly capitalist which would have made my leftist uni self disown  or even shoot me. lol

Reply #2626
The sharemarket is gambling and highly capitalist which would have made my leftist uni self disown  or even shoot me. lol
You don't have to be left, you just have to be honest and observant to understand the impact of investments. I've had so many opportunities to build a fortune that have been scuppered by social morality that I dread reviewing the history. If you are happy to be a bastard you can make crap loads, but it always comes at somebody or somethings expense. My biggest "miss" was refusing to buy shares at $0.01 each when Rupert wanted to make a takeover of the company I worked for. They basically gifted shares to the employees of the company and asked them not to sell, thinking the price would be too high for Rupert to buy enough of them, but it wasn't and he bought them at $16.50 to gain control. I've several former work-mates who became multimillionaires overnight from that one deal. The price was, thousands of unskilled workers ended up redundant losing their jobs, replaced by automation.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2627
Jerry Rubin became a stockbroker and got runover jaywalking.  I've still got a copy of Steal this Book.

Reply #2628
I'm heavily in the Blue Chips, Utilities, Reits/trusts, supermarkets and the big LIC's and ETF's, still keeping a good portion of cash as well not that you get much in the banks these days but I sleep better than being 100% in stocks.

Agree. 

I could have put more in, but I thought, best not to in case it all goes to hell in a handbag.  If COVID was as bad as they first said, my initial strategy would have seen me lose a fair amount of that initial investment but I was prepared to double down to average down the purchase price on each stock in case the recovery was short lived, or COVID protracted.

FWIW, this week has been the first real sign of recovery, but I think there are heaps of headwinds ahead, and scope for that to change once the share market works out that even if the vaccine were ready to administer today, it would take almost a year to vaccinate enough of the worlds population to provide the required amount to resume normality in earnest.

The fact that we are still in a testing phase, they need to manufacture it to a level where it can be administered.  IMHO, best case scenario sees at least another 12 months of restrictions to normality.

Markets are optimistic and forward looking though.  If I didnt have capital gains tax to consider plus larger long term gains to think about, I would likely take profits and buy back in once the market inevitably realises we have a long way to go by then though, its hard to know just how high things will lift.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #2629
The POTUS is implementing his scorched earth strategy as a final gift to the American people.  He is lower than sharksh1t 😡
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #2630

Keeping up the bullcrap always gets the better of people, eventually they talk themselves into a sweaty dead end!

FMD, how old is this guy, hair dye, confidence in a can? :o

I suppose there is no age that is immune to vanity, and vanity just makes admitting you are wrong so so much harder! ;)

I suppose that is why some religions, have Vanity ( aka Vainglory ) as one of the big ones ( Seven Deadly Sins )!

It has occurred to me that the reason some of the legal teams are bailing might be because there is no money in it for them, they aren't being or won't be paid! Sort of makes sense of the begging emails. While those that cling on to Trump's coat tails are unable to let go the promised carrot, the promised pot of gold, the golden egg, but they seem to me to be a tad foolish if they think that licking the Trump Goose bum is going to deliver a golden surprise, examining his history it appears delivering golden turds isn't part of Trump's  DNA, but there will be other types of turd delivered a plenty from all openings!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2631
What a bunch of B-graders.

Holding press conferences outside adult book stores, laughed out of court the next - now works himself into such a sweaty frenzy his hair dye runs down his face.

Credibility off the charts.

Reply #2632
Forgive my ignorance but why does how old someone is or how they look have anything to do with the price of fish??

Paul Hewson

Reply #2633
Forgive my ignorance but why does how old someone is or how they look have anything to do with the price of fish??

It doesn't ... I'd ask Joe but he'd take a week to reply.  THAT'S way more important

Reply #2634

Age is a factor when it’s associated with the natural decline of intellectual capacity and judgement.

More telling is Giuliani’s use of cheap hair dye and his obvious discomfort with a fairly straightforward line of questioning.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #2635
We’ve all met eccentrics who are good people. When you get to know them, you ditch your initial impression.

But unfortunately, there are those whose eccentricity ends up being a pretty good indicator of the evil lurking within. That’s Guiliani. He presents as an evil clown and that’s exactly what he is. He’s as corrupt and dishonest as they come and he’s attempting to assist in a coup against a democratically-elected leader. Forgive us if we don’t treat him with respect.

Reply #2636
Age is a factor when it’s associated with the natural decline of intellectual capacity and judgement.

More telling is Giuliani’s use of cheap hair dye and his obvious discomfort with a fairly straightforward line of questioning.

Sorry mate I'm drawing the line at the hair dye.

Being ageist isn't ok either, he's the same as his peers.

Paul Hewson

Reply #2637
Confidence in a can is a tell about someone who has years of public speaking confidence, previously he was clearly setup up yet quite willing to doodle his noodle in front of a young fake reporter, though never seemed to break a sweat in that circumstance, then appears to hyperventilate towing the Trump Goose line!

He doesn't believe what he is saying, the proof is running down the face of a lifelong career public speaker, and it shows due to the confidence in a can!

If at his age he's making those mistakes, and selling his soul to the highest bidder leaving his vanity exposed, he deserves derision!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2638
When you start ridiculing people for hair dye or simply being old, you've lost your argument irrespective of how valid it might be.

You don't even need to do this with these guys so why do it?

Paul Hewson

Reply #2639
I cant see a problem with folks dyeing their hair.
Half of my family of a similar age to me do it. ;)  ;D