Skip to main content
Topic: RD 1 - Blues Lose To Tigers (Aftermatch Angst & Teeth Gnashing) (Read 117569 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 1 - Blues Lose To Tigers (Aftermatch Angst & Teeth Gnashing)

Reply #166
We didn't get rid of Betts, he left just like Dasiy left Collingwood, Buddy left the Hawks etc.

Pretty sure he was a RFA ie. we could keep him if we wanted to. The club signaled very early they weren't going to give him a payrise and they also planned very early to get Thomas. Regardless, you said it was a good thing he's gone and now you're complaining about forward pressure, and blaming an 18 year old first gamer for our loss.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #167
Pretty sure he was a RFA ie. we could keep him if we wanted to. The club signaled very early they weren't going to give him a payrise and they also planned very early to get Thomas. Regardless, you said it was a good thing he's gone and now you're complaining about forward pressure, and blaming an 18 year old first gamer for our loss.

Garlett was bigger loss as far as forward pressure. Ellard is very good in this role too but appears out of favour, he is always in my best 22.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #168
Garlett was bigger loss as far as forward pressure. Ellard is very good in this role too but appears out of favour, he is always in my best 22.

Either way we are forked in that department for this year at minimum. Tutt and Ellard are not the answer.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #169
Maybe we need to throw Yarran down forward for this year.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #170
Garlett Fevola Betts
Menzel Waite Robinson

Seems like a decent forward line to me with plenty of pressure and goal kicking ability (throw Walker there as well).
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #171
Garlett Fevola Betts
Menzel Waite Robinson

Seems like a decent forward line to me with plenty of pressure and goal kicking ability (throw Walker there as well).

OMG, we have given five of those six away, four of them under Mick!
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #172

Hey at least we have no "bad boys" anymore. How's our culture looking?
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #173
As a small aside to all this, I really hope Walks plays forward this season (when he's over his injury). Can't bear to see him playing down back - he's terrible.

Reply #174
Hey at least we have no "bad boys" anymore. How's our culture looking?

OMG I think I'm going to be ill.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #175

and the best of the bunch was under Ratten, do you expect Mick to go clubbing with the boys to make sure they behave?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #176
As a small aside to all this, I really hope Walks plays forward this season )when he's over his injury). Can't bear to see him playing down back - he's terrible.

Expect the stubborn one to slot him straight back down back. Anyway, I'm not sure he'll be able to regain that form from 2011, all our forwards struggle under this gameplan with slow ball movement and long bombs inside 50m.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #177
and the best of the bunch was under Ratten, do you expect Mick to go clubbing with the boys to make sure they behave?

I don't MBB. All I know is that Mick didn't like two of them at all, Betts he wouldn't let play to his strengths. Garlett went off the rails. Did Robbo and Garlett have any history under Ratts? Serious question.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #178
I don't MBB. All I know is that Mick didn't like two of them at all, Betts he wouldn't let play to his strengths. Garlett went off the rails. Did Robbo and Garlett have any history under Ratts? Serious question.

Ratten put a big focus on sorting out our off field stuff ups. We had regular bad press which was mostly sorted by the end of Ratten's tenure except for a flare up in 2012. Not sure Mick cared so much about that side of things and it seems some of our guys needed a short leash.

Reply #179
Expect the stubborn one to slot him straight back down back. Anyway, I'm not sure he'll be able to regain that form from 2011, all our forwards struggle under this gameplan with slow ball movement and long bombs inside 50m.

Fair point Chris - he is older, had injuries, and certainly lost some pace. But given that we've lost our three leading goal kickers in quick succession, and given that Mick called for a few players that can kick 20-30 goals per season in his presser, I would have thought he'd be a natural for the role. Not the solution to our woes, but certainly a step in the right direction.