Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW Season 8 - 2023 (Read 5955 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW Season 8 - 2023

Reply #15
Watched the AFLW practice match against Sydney on the live stream, again worrying signs early.  Last week the reigning premiers pantsed us, this week a team that struggled last year were well on top of us for the first half.  Unable to get the score on the board, blew a couple of good chances, but still in general play being beaten to my eye.

Different outfit after half time.  Q3 we finally got on the scoreboard and closed to within 8 points with the momentum our way.  Pressed hard in Q4, got to within a goal but lost by 9 after they goaled after the siren.

Much improved on last week, but the quality of opponent much reduced.  In particular we were much better outside the contest this week.

Moody huge as usual, usual suspects stood except for Vescio who I thought was generally quiet.  Mia Austin looked good as did the 2 new Irish girls especially Erone Fitzpatrick, they both add run and speed and if they are on an upward curve look out opposition.

Overall more light on the horizon than last week, or indeed half time, but we need to get value for our forward entries.  With Vescio, Austin and Skepper up forward and Moody drifting forward we have the talent, the defence is solid and the midfield has quality individuals so there is something to work with.

Reply #16
Moody going forward is going to be a thing this season.  I think that she could be quite effective, particularly with our back up rucks and increased run out of the midfield.

As Moods said, it was a practice match and they used the opportunity to practise some different tactics.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #17
Moody going forward is going to be a thing this season.  I think that she could be quite effective, particularly with our back up rucks and increased run out of the midfield.

As Moods said, it was a practice match and they used the opportunity to practise some different tactics.

I'd love to be able to clone Moody.....maybe get her sister?
One forward and one in the ruck would be a good start.

Reply #18
Sarah Black has done her top 30.

30    Alice Edmonds
29    Mimi Hill
28    Breann Moody
27    Breanna Koenen
26    Emma Swanson
25    Chelsea Randall
24    Chloe Scheer
23    Chelsea Biddell
22    Eilish Sheerin
21    Emma Kearney
20    Greta Bodey
19    Charlie Rowbottom
18    Ellie Blackburn
17    Tayla Harris
16    Liv Purcell
15    Jesse Wardlaw
14    Kiara Bowers
13    Tyla Hanks
12    Nat Grider
11    Maddy Prespakis
10    Emily Bates
9    Alyce Parker
8    Amy McDonald
7    Kate Hore
6    Georgie Prespakis
5    Ally Anderson
4    Anne Hatchard
3    Ebony Marinoff
2    Jasmine Garner
1    Monique Conti

Reply #19
So we've just lost our first round pick for the year. Recent pick #5 (2nd overall from vic draft) Lulu Beatty is gone.

Injury list
=============================================================================
Lulu Beatty   Leg   Scans confirmed a right tibia fracture. - Ruled out for the 2023 AFLW season: placed on the inactive list. (Update: 22 August)

Maddy Guerin   ACL   Has been placed on the inactive list. (Update: 22 August)

Phoebe McWilliams   Calf   Experienced a low-grade calf strain. - Availability will be assessed closer to Round 1. (Update: 22 August)

Tahlia Read   Ankle   Integrated back into running this week. - Aiming to be available in Round 5. (Update: 22 August)

Paige Trudgeon   Knee   Recovering from a meniscus injury. - Expected to be sidelined for another 3-5 weeks. (Update: 22 August)

Chloe Wrigley   Hamstring   Currently recovering from a high-grade hamstring strain. - Aiming to be available in the first few weeks of the season. (Update: 22 August)

Reply #20
Has anyone checked out the photo gallery from the practice match against Sydney?

Apart from duplicate images and several shots of the same bit of action, the captions give the wrong names and describe the players celebrating a try  ::)

Surely the club has a web master with some control over what gets posted to our site  :-\

Some of the photographs are very good captures though.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #21
Apart from duplicate images and several shots of the same bit of action, the captions give the wrong names and describe the players celebrating a try  ::)
Maybe it was the players celebrating a try hard! ;D

A lot of people on here lambasted me a year or two back when I called our club's online presence dead-set amateurish. I think I recall stating that I don't know who we pay for it but I hope it's not too much!

Or this could be one of those A/B traps, where they earn clicks just from people visiting to see the blooper, like viral feck-up marketing.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #23
Took me forever to locate it, but thats very poor.

And that's another problem; folk won't bother with websites if they're hard to navigate.

Reply #24
Good grief… what an own goal !
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #25
Good grief… what an own goal !

An own try?

Reply #26
TRYing a bit too hard maybe!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #27
The hits just keep on coming.
Captain Kez is out for a few weeks, which is basically 1/3 of the year.
https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/1419592

Reply #28
Player  Injury  Update
Lulu Beatty   Leg   Scans confirmed a right tibia fracture.   Ruled out for the 2023 AFLW season: placed on the inactive list. (Update: 22 August)
Phoebe McWilliams   Calf   Experienced a low-grade calf strain.   Availability will be assessed closer to Round 2. (Update: 30 August)
Kerryn Peterson   Knee   Had an arthroscope completed.  The timeline for her return will become clearer once she returns to running in the coming weeks, at this stage Peterson is expected to miss the first month of the season. (Update: 30 August)
Tahlia Read   Ankle   Integrated back into running this week.  Aiming to be available in Round 5. (Update: 22 August)
Paige Trudgeon   Knee   Recovering from a meniscus injury.  Expected to be sidelined for another 2-3 weeks. (Update: 30 August)
Chloe Wrigley   Hamstring   Currently recovering from a high-grade hamstring strain.  Aiming to be available in the first few weeks of the season. (Update: 22 August)

That's nearly a quarter of our list unavailable. :(
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #29
Player  Injury  Update
Lulu Beatty   Leg   Scans confirmed a right tibia fracture.   Ruled out for the 2023 AFLW season: placed on the inactive list. (Update: 22 August)
Phoebe McWilliams   Calf   Experienced a low-grade calf strain.   Availability will be assessed closer to Round 2. (Update: 30 August)
Kerryn Peterson   Knee   Had an arthroscope completed.  The timeline for her return will become clearer once she returns to running in the coming weeks, at this stage Peterson is expected to miss the first month of the season. (Update: 30 August)
Tahlia Read   Ankle   Integrated back into running this week.  Aiming to be available in Round 5. (Update: 22 August)
Paige Trudgeon   Knee   Recovering from a meniscus injury.  Expected to be sidelined for another 2-3 weeks. (Update: 30 August)
Chloe Wrigley   Hamstring   Currently recovering from a high-grade hamstring strain.  Aiming to be available in the first few weeks of the season. (Update: 22 August)

That's nearly a quarter of our list unavailable. :(

We've got more players on our AFLW injury list (with 30 players) than we do on our AFL injury list (with 46-ish) players.....possibly double-so.

Thats some good luck and bad luck all summed up in one sentence.