Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 2: Post Game Prattle: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 63058 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 2: Post Game Prattle: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #75
It doesn't necessarily mean he can't turn it around...but he doesn't get the free pass anymore.
The blowtorch is on!

IMO the blowtorch should be on the whole match committee. We've lost the last 2 games at the selection table.

First week...
i've been very vocal about Weiterings selection being counterproductive to winning. Very few agreed with me before the match. Got a bit more support when he was indeed a liability on the night.
2 touches in the first half.

This week...
Again, with Weitering (1 touch in the first half this week - only 4 for the match, 1 given to him courtesy of a free kick.) but lets bring in another key defender because....?  :o
Also lets drop Silvagni, a forward for that spot too.
Oh, and Kreuzer was almost never going to get up, so lets use our other forward in the ruck all game, and bring in a mid.
So now we are 2 forwards short, 1 extra key defender heavier than the heavy key defender backline we had last week.....and our last minute replacement was a kid playing his 2nd game.....on the back of a game last week in which Crash said he was not ready for AFL.

I heard Rowe is back soon, might as well bring him and A. Silvagni into the side next week. Reckon we should drop Charlie and Wright to fit them in.
Thoughts?

Reply #76
Did you expect to win today?

Did you expect to replace Kreuzer with Polson?

I expected to win.

If we can't beat sides like Gold Coast in Melbourne, i'm not sure how many teams we will be able to beat.  :-[

Reply #77
S. Dew

turning out to be a good find.
Post ablett, 2 from 2, playing a brand of footy, we should be playing.

Weitering, im afraid aint up to his no 1 draft status and might be a dud in the making
too slow, seems disinterested, crapt kick

Reply #78
Shocking selection blunder by including Poulsen, and not including a tall ie McKay to help Casboult. WTF were they thinking...Witts deserved some respect and we got burnt in the ruck bigtime.
Sick of how the same players from respective clubs burn us every game ie Lynch, can we at least have a plan B or C for these players, it was so obvious he was going to get the footy every time they went forward, we were out of position with too few defenders in his area and leaving him one out with Jones was madness.

Cunningham cant hit targets by hand or foot
Samo by foot also undercooks the footy and half volleys his passes.
Mullett see what Prof wrote...soft...
Murphy....up and under kicks give other players no hope of marking the ball...

Weitering...the kid is shot mentally and looks miserable playing footy.
Byrne..poor disposal and loose on his man.
Jones...great intent but poor decision making with these across the ground kicks..

Woeful performance and the blowtorch has to be on Bolton and the selectors....

Positive....Jarrod Garlett...good attack on the footy and for a little bloke he tackles well...

Reply #79
I expected to win.

If we can't beat sides like Gold Coast in Melbourne, i'm not sure how many teams we will be able to beat.  :-[

I agree there. 3rd year in time to be winning these types of games, no ifs or buts. And yes, team selection, I have no idea what the hell they were thinking.

Reply #80
Shocking selection blunder by including Poulsen, and not including a tall ie McKay to help Casboult. ETF were they thinking...Witts deserved some respect and we got burnt in the ruck bigtime.
Sick of how the same players from respective clubs burn us every game ie Lynch, can we at least have a plan B or C for these players, it was so obvious he was going to get the footy every time they went forward, we were out of position with too few defenders in his area and leaving him one out with Jones was madness.

Cunningham cant hit targets by hand or foot
Samo by foot also undercooks the footy and half volleys his passes.
Mullett see what Prof wrote...soft...
Murphy....up and under kicks give other players no hope of marking the ball...

Weitering...the kid is shot mentally and looks miserable playing footy.
Byrne..poor disposal and loose on his man.
Jones...great intent but poor decision making with these across the ground kicks..

Woeful performance and the blowtorch has to be on Bolton and the selectors....

Weitering look a gun in his first year, looked good last year despite a flat patch. This year has got me stuffed. Think he'll turn out a very good player but right now he needs time in the VFL. Alex Silvagni would be alot more benefit because of his size, pace, and strength. Capable of playing on different types.

Reply #81
I think the thing that worries me the most is that I cant see where the improvement will come from in the short term...yep Kreuzer and Kennedy would be handy but I doubt they'd have made the difference.
Long year ahead :(

Reply #82
Barnaby French would have made a massive difference let alone Kreuzer.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #83
I'm beginning to wonder if anyone at all can make a difference! I feel like we're at the centre of a black hole. :(
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #84
Just got home from that debacle, wow. I really need someone from Match Committee to explain why we chose to go into the game without a ruckman. Witts did as he pleased and we decided to use one of our only two marking forwards as a ruck? Ludicrous decision. Our skill level was worse than woeful. Simple kicks and handballs missing targets, and when one did get within reach we fumbled. It really was back to the dark days. Even worse, they worked much harder than us and outnumbered us at most contests. Going to have to work hard to turn this around

Reply #85
I think the thing that worries me the most is that I cant see where the improvement will come from in the short term...yep Kreuzer and Kennedy would be handy but I doubt they'd have made the difference.
Long year ahead :(

Not sure about that. We need to go back to the efforts we produced last year. If they do the rest will look after itself. Today wasn't about ability, it was about effort.

Reply #86
Today was more about skill tha effort IMO, our skills were just about the worst I've ever seen

Reply #87
Not sure about that. We need to go back to the efforts we produced last year. If they do the rest will look after itself. Today wasn't about ability, it was about effort.
..and we dropped a bloke that provides it unconditionally in Silvagni.

Hope he is back next week. More blokes putting in, the better the team plays.

Reply #88
Don't know why we can't get players like Lyons: cheap and effective.

Instead we chase discards from sh1t clubs and wonder why the likes of Mullet are so disappointing.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #89
IMO the blowtorch should be on the whole match committee. We've lost the last 2 games at the selection table.

First week...
i've been very vocal about Weiterings selection being counterproductive to winning. Very few agreed with me before the match. Got a bit more support when he was indeed a liability on the night.
2 touches in the first half.

This week...
Again, with Weitering (1 touch in the first half this week - only 4 for the match, 1 given to him courtesy of a free kick.) but lets bring in another key defender because....?  :o
Also lets drop Silvagni, a forward for that spot too.
Oh, and Kreuzer was almost never going to get up, so lets use our other forward in the ruck all game, and bring in a mid.
So now we are 2 forwards short, 1 extra key defender heavier than the heavy key defender backline we had last week.....and our last minute replacement was a kid playing his 2nd game.....on the back of a game last week in which Crash said he was not ready for AFL.

I heard Rowe is back soon, might as well bring him and A. Silvagni into the side next week. Reckon we should drop Charlie and Wright to fit them in.
Thoughts?

I owe you an apology.

Last week I backed play weitering (I still do because the kids need games).

This week our coach outcoached himself.

Dew didn't need to do much to win today.  We beat ourselves before his team did.

I back playing polson, but maybe this was the wrong week for that.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson