Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 2: Post Game Prattle: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 63050 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 2: Post Game Prattle: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #120
Drop Jack Silvagni so that you can play Weitering out of position.

Madness.

We asked for this at the selection table - and we copped it. Absolute disgrace and Bolton can cop all the criticism coming his way because it is his alone.

I will reserve a bit of bile for Marc Murphy who we just need to move on from. He should not be captain. Nice flashy sort of player that floats around without ever really dominating or leading his team to a win - and has no interest in tackling.

The captain sets the tone and as he so often does he set the tone on this game. We got what we asked for.

Reply #121
Paddy Dow?

Why was he played in the 1s again today?

The kid is so far off senior level it's farcical....

Then there's Polson....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #122
Drop Jack Silvagni so that you can play Weitering out of position.

Madness.

We asked for this at the selection table - and we copped it. Absolute disgrace and Bolton can cop all the criticism coming his way because it is his alone.

I will reserve a bit of bile for Marc Murphy who we just need to move on from. He should not be captain. Nice flashy sort of player that floats around without ever really dominating or leading his team to a win - and has no interest in tackling.

The captain sets the tone and as he so often does he set the tone on this game. We got what we asked for.

Agree 400% re the Murphy comments, 200% th rest.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #123

Murphy got 30 possessions with no Carlton ruckmen of any sort, and he played 93% game time in the center! :o

What are you smoking?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #124
yep 30 lazy, ineffectual ones....

the bloke seemingly can't kick 30m these days....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #125

You haven't watched the game, and you make comments like that! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #126
Did folks notice that a number of times the umpires called for the Carlton ruck to nominate and were left with no response.
I think there was one time when Daisy went to contest and was told to stay out of it.

Yes I noticed that Lods. There were extended periods where nobody seemed to know who would ruck. That buggers up any stoppage strategy we may have had. We missed Bam Bam in this respect.
I kept thinking we looked disorganised. I suspect this applies to the series of events over the past 8 days, not just today.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #127
Would you call that progress? You’re easily pleased if you do.....

With such a young list, and a mediocre group in the mid range of games played, I just think we need to take a longer term view of progress. As I said previously, look at the Cats under Thompson and the Tigers under Hardwick. I wish we could turn it around in one pre season, but that's simply not possible.

2019/2020 I expect better.

Reply #128
Barnaby French would have made a massive difference let alone Kreuzer.

Mark Porter would have been a positive!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #129
That was pitiful. It started with Kruezer being out, with Poulson replacing him we weaken three positions, ruck, key forward and key back. Play de Koning who was listed as emergency and we only weaken one position. Both Levi and Weitering looked more comfortable when Jones played in the ruck.

Weitering was a gun in his first season because he was give a key back position to be his own, he was drafted as a key back and because we have a glut of bigger backmen he has been sacrificed because he is the least worst option up forward. Bolton came out and said that he needs to nail down a position this season down back for the sake of his development, but thanks to the stupid selection of Poulson we had to unbalance the team, especially after O'Shea got a call up as well.

We slag off Malthouse for what he did to the club, but he knew what he had with Jakovich at CHB, even though he was capable of playing forward he was a gun at CHB. Leave Weiters there and build around him. Have him and Marchbank intercept, Jones looking after the gorillas and if we need to sacrifice anyone, Plowman enjoy the VFL. The match committee is ruining Jacob Weitering and if it continues and I was JW's manager I'd be looking for a trade.

I know we have this "layered" approach to build the offensive game but why when the game is getting beyond us did we not play a 7 man backline like we have done for the past 2 years? That's the thing with layers, you can put one back on or take them off when required. 

Now here is the real funny thing, we dropped a marking forward in Silvagni (rightly so too) then when we lost Kruezer, we effectively lost another one with Levi having to ruck. Surely we knew that MK was touch & go, so why did we not list a McKay as emergency? Or at least Kerr if we weren't going to play de Koning? What will make the Carlton match committee look really stupid is if Krezuer doesn't come up for next Fridays game.

Unless we have injuries galore I do not want to see Mullet in a Carlton jumper again, he is selfish and crap. O'Shea not much better, Poulson has no tricks and Lamb should only come along when we play Hawthorn. I think back to when we were talking about depth....ha ha ha ha, about as much as a bird bath.

Our skills we ordinary as a whole with only Fisher, SPS and Cripps able to hold their heads up. Cunningham was decent, I like his game and think it can improve but it won't if he's going back and forth from the VFL.

If we were fair dinkum about our injuries and how much they effected this game, play Kruezer in the ruck, Kennedy and Lang in the middle, Pickett up forward and A.Silvagni, Docherty and Williamson down back, and we would have a very different result. Take out Mullet, O'Shea, Byrne, Dow, Lamb, Plowman and Poulson if you were wondering. But that's not going to happen and injuries are all part of the game so we are stuck with a 36 point loss, bad skills, bad team balance and a beaten coaching team.

Reply #130
We won 6 games last year and lost 2 out of our best 4 players.   We can't afford to have anyone out and need to unearth a few midfielders.

Reply #131

Agree....kicks were more high than long and gave his teammates no hope, he gave effort and tried but his disposal and decision making was ordinary and often sold his mates into
trouble...tries to do too much, gets caught and then turns it over even though he finds a teammate but usually under pressure and manned up...

Reply #132
That was pitiful. It started with Kruezer being out, with Poulson replacing him we weaken three positions, ruck, key forward and key back. Play de Koning who was listed as emergency and we only weaken one position. Both Levi and Weitering looked more comfortable when Jones played in the ruck.

Weitering was a gun in his first season because he was give a key back position to be his own, he was drafted as a key back and because we have a glut of bigger backmen he has been sacrificed because he is the least worst option up forward. Bolton came out and said that he needs to nail down a position this season down back for the sake of his development, but thanks to the stupid selection of Poulson we had to unbalance the team, especially after O'Shea got a call up as well.

We slag off Malthouse for what he did to the club, but he knew what he had with Jakovich at CHB, even though he was capable of playing forward he was a gun at CHB. Leave Weiters there and build around him. Have him and Marchbank intercept, Jones looking after the gorillas and if we need to sacrifice anyone, Plowman enjoy the VFL. The match committee is ruining Jacob Weitering and if it continues and I was JW's manager I'd be looking for a trade.

I know we have this "layered" approach to build the offensive game but why when the game is getting beyond us did we not play a 7 man backline like we have done for the past 2 years? That's the thing with layers, you can put one back on or take them off when required. 

Now here is the real funny thing, we dropped a marking forward in Silvagni (rightly so too) then when we lost Kruezer, we effectively lost another one with Levi having to ruck. Surely we knew that MK was touch & go, so why did we not list a McKay as emergency? Or at least Kerr if we weren't going to play de Koning? What will make the Carlton match committee look really stupid is if Krezuer doesn't come up for next Fridays game.

Unless we have injuries galore I do not want to see Mullet in a Carlton jumper again, he is selfish and crap. O'Shea not much better, Poulson has no tricks and Lamb should only come along when we play Hawthorn. I think back to when we were talking about depth....ha ha ha ha, about as much as a bird bath.

Our skills we ordinary as a whole with only Fisher, SPS and Cripps able to hold their heads up. Cunningham was decent, I like his game and think it can improve but it won't if he's going back and forth from the VFL.

If we were fair dinkum about our injuries and how much they effected this game, play Kruezer in the ruck, Kennedy and Lang in the middle, Pickett up forward and A.Silvagni, Docherty and Williamson down back, and we would have a very different result. Take out Mullet, O'Shea, Byrne, Dow, Lamb, Plowman and Poulson if you were wondering. But that's not going to happen and injuries are all part of the game so we are stuck with a 36 point loss, bad skills, bad team balance and a beaten coaching team.

Have we nominated a rookie to replace Docherty yet?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #133
Weitering is as slow as treacle and the first injury he got to his shoulder has made him timid at the ball, he doesnt want contact and that hit he took today(Bowes I think it was ) probably took what confidence he had left out of him. He need 3 weeks at least in the twos learning how to attack the ball and how to use his smarts to overcome his lack of pace..

Reply #134
You haven't watched the game, and you make comments like that! :o

i watched the game, what are you smoking fella?

The Captain who shouldn't be...
Finals, then 4 in a row!