Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 2: Post Game Prattle: Carlton vs Gold Coast (Read 63066 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 2: Post Game Prattle: Carlton vs Gold Coast

Reply #360
It's really not that hard.

Kruezer out lets bring in a Ruckman.

Phillips returning after a long term injury is at least 2 weeks away.
Lobbe is out.
De Koning?   He is 90kg dripping wet.   Will get slaughtered.   Might has well concede the ruck and play an extra mid.
McKay will be smashed in the ruck and form hasn't been great.   Extra mid?

McKay could've played forward though with a run in the ruck. Only have Charlie there to take on the whole defence was a bad move.

Reply #361
Everyone said it before the game so it's not a hindsight thing. It was a terrible decision and it cost us any chance of winning and now Bolton for the first time in his short career has a little bit of heat on him.

BB gets the heat.

I don't think the old money floating around Carlton can be described as "a little but", that is where the heat will come from. The Judge must have a hot ear after last weekend.

Even though it may not be solely BB's fault, this has to be an MC issue, BB's the man with a plan!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #362
McKay could've played forward though with a run in the ruck. Only have Charlie there to take on the whole defence was a bad move.

Beyond stupid.

Harry was clearly the go to guy in the circumstances of no Lobbe and Philips....he is a forward who can ruck....

Insted we threw Polson in?!! WTF. Not even ripping it up in the 2s.

With Weiters out of sorts and Dow a bit roo in headlights, we essentially played the game three players short.

Outstanding effort from the MC.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #363
Outstanding effort from the MC.

Given how apparently obvious the selection requirement was to everyone before the actual game, what could be happening behind the scenes to cause this?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #364
Given how apparently obvious the selection requirement was to everyone before the actual game, what could be happening behind the scenes to cause this?

surely one must assume that - for whatever reason - Harry is quite out of favour with BB, the MC -or both?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #365

That's the thing that has me buggered.
It was so obvious a strange selection decision....what were they thinking?
What is the secret 'plan'?

Reply #366
That game was lost because of lack of midfield impact, poor mindset, and horrid skill errors. Kruezer + Kennedy is 2 very good midfielders. If Lobbe or Phillips were playing and all the other factors were equal, we still would have lost.

The emphasis on the ruck is misplaced IMO. Teams win games and lose the ruck contest every week.

Reply #367
I read the report on the website about our NB players and comments from the coach about their game on the weekend. I don't know specifically why, and maybe it's more about what gets talked about on here, but what was said about McKay suggested to me that they are not overly happy with the way he is going.

"It was a step in the right direction for 'H', but the next challenge is building consistency."

I dont know. I just reread it and it didnt sound bad the second time.

Reply #368
I have it on good authority that when Harry first landed on our shores and bunked up initially with one of our more senior players (and his partner) he was quite the spoilt, lazy brat. Expected to have everything done for him and was exceptionally rude and ungrateful. Apparently he was moved on from that place when patience wore thin.
Not sure if this is a reflection on his current work ethic but maybe he thinks he's a bit better than the rest?

Reply #369
I have it on good authority that when Harry first landed on our shores and bunked up initially with one of our more senior players (and his partner) he was quite the spoilt, lazy brat. Expected to have everything done for him and was exceptionally rude and ungrateful. Apparently he was moved on from that place when patience wore thin.
Not sure if this is a reflection on his current work ethic but maybe he thinks he's a bit better than the rest?

I guess the SOS Character Meter was set to Snooze Mode when they interviewed him.

Reply #370
That's the thing that has me buggered.
It was so obvious a strange selection decision....what were they thinking?
What is the secret 'plan'?

Ive got one scenario that makes sense (without any inside knowledge) but the selection of Dow, O'Shea and Mullet ahead of blokes like Cunningham and McKay might tell a little bit about the issue currently bothering our club.

The selection of Polson confirms it, but from what I have heard, we are prioritising blokes that will do what is asked of them, and play the role assigned to them, ahead of others who may be just going.

Silvagni is the only selection that debunks this theory, as young Jack doesnt strike me as a take it for granted sort of bloke and works his dot off, but the fact they pushed him onball against Port Melbourne might simply point to him learning a different role at the moment.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #371

Not a good start, that's for sure. First impressions and all that....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #372

Not sure it's reflected in his work ethic because the kids size and shape has improved significantly.

btw., In my experience at TAC Cup Development levels that is a pretty standard description of the kids being pushed through the system by their parents. Interestingly, a mate who is a senior TAC Cup coach tells me that is exactly the attitude many coaches and recruiters look for, they want kids with some arrogance and with an expectation of success as long as it is accompanied by a training work ethic. They want a Wayne Carey.

The thought is that if they are too timid and conformist they are unlikely to succeed at AFL level. But I don't agree, I think Bruce Doull is the perfect contradiction to those claims. FWIW, Weitering is more a Bruce Doull type than a Wayne Carey.

Doull is another excellent contrast for what has happened with Weitering. Look at Doull's first few seasons. I know I've posted this before but Doull was surrounded by Waite, Hall, Lofts, Goold, Pinnell, McKay and allowed to develop for 3 or 4 years before he became a key feature alongside Southby. Not a bad apprenticeship!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #373
I read the report on the website about our NB players and comments from the coach about their game on the weekend. I don't know specifically why, and maybe it's more about what gets talked about on here, but what was said about McKay suggested to me that they are not overly happy with the way he is going.

"It was a step in the right direction for 'H', but the next challenge is building consistency."

I dont know. I just reread it and it didnt sound bad the second time.

Interestingly we have a 'like for like' comparison with his twin brother working in another system. As yet, there has been no indication that North want to fast track Ben into the firsts, even though he has not had the injury problems that his brother has had.  Maybe we are expecting too much of a 205 cm kid still trying to work out his body and how best to use it against men.

Reply #374
Maybe we are expecting too much of a 205 cm kid still trying to work out his body and how best to use it against men.

Very true, but Norp have a settled, reliable and mature KPD structured around Tarrant and Thompson which is also a factor.

I'm sure if we had an equivalent KPF structure the calls to accelerate McKay wouldn't exist.

Next game our KPF structure could be full of 20 year olds! :o
The Force Awakens!