Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 1 Carlton vs Richmond Post Game Prognostications (Read 48740 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 1 Carlton vs Richmond Post Game Prognostications

Reply #180
Levi is a coach killer...he can take 10 marks and you would eb lucky to see 2 goals next to his name, Everitt is everything you say, lazy, just wants easy ball, takes his eyes offf the footy when theri is heat in the area but if you give him 4 marks near goal he will kick three goals....

Levi will stay in the team by default for a while but he has to go..I'd rather see Jaksch developed as a leading FF and McKay as our CHF and have Philips or Gorrings as the 2nd ruckman....

Everitt will be traded out IMO at seasons end....

They used to say SOS had to kick 6 goals as a forward to  make up for the defensive effort you lost by taking him out of the backline.

Reckon Everitt is thr same equation  but backwards.  He needs to kick 3-4 goals to make up for the softness he brings to the team.

Reply #181
They used to say SOS had to kick 6 goals as a forward to  make up for the defensive effort you lost by taking him out of the backline.

Reckon Everitt is thr same equation  but backwards.  He needs to kick 3-4 goals to make up for the softness he brings to the team.

That's possibly true. If Eveitt can kick 3-4 goals pr game, he'd be practically a Coleman Medalist, and I'd give him express permission to be as soft as a bag of marshmallows

Reply #182
Was a strange atmosphere at the game.

After Q1 the Tigers' fans went very quiet - even the dumb ones (the greater majority granted) had realised that there was a game of footy on out there - and that they were no certainty to win.

That they did was more our bad than their good. A small win for we Baggers!

We can (and very much will) improve on last night too - don't forget that fact - but at least the intensity and effort was there from most players for most of the match.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #183
If only we could splice Casboult and Everitt together.

Why would we want someone who can't kick and is soft?

Reply #184
I think Martin was the difference between the 2 teams last night. Stepped up when we threatened to stretch the lead beyond 3 goals (still our Achilles heel - the inability to get that extra crucial goal). The best 'fender offerer' in the game which crapes me to tears.  Teams should start anticipating this move as he does it every time - maybe the would be tackler should drop their knees Selwood-style so that, instead of Martin pushing you in the chest, he inadvertently pushes you in the face which is a free kick every time.

I was thinking along the same lines.  Another tactic may be to focus on grabbing the fending arm and giving it a good chicken wing.

Kreuzer put him down in the last quarter but I'm not sure if it was an arm sling or body tackle.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #185
Can we call this a victory anyway?

I'm not one for honourable losses, a loss is a loss, but we're talking about a team that finished last got rid of talent, lazy and flawed it may have been, rung the changes with coaching, players, admin, and game plan and we went up against a club that has had a coach and a game plan for 6-ish seasons.

Richmond have not had the turmoil that we've had in the 2010's, they have had the same core players, same coach and the same message. They have a steady administration and a great membership, yes they were missing a couple of pieces, but they should have depth through a decade of high picks that they have kept.

Richmond are being spoken about in the 4th - 6th bracket of teams, yet the "basket case" from last season made them look second rate and bewildered as a wave of blue kept sweeping the ball forward with organisation and dare, highlighting our need for quality forwards, which will come. I wonder if David Parkin wants to retract his comments yet?

Bolton got his assessment right, a lack of poise or "polish" stopped us from getting the 4 points, no time to rest on laurels though Sydney will be much harder than this lot next Sunday

Reply #186
Anyone else irked by all the missed tackles last night? I thought it was a major issue.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #187
The Tigers fans had to sit through 4 quarters of nail biting tension and you could certainly feel that. The main emotion coming from them at the final siren was pure relief, tinged with doubt. I was just slightly disappointed we had lost but greatly encouraged by our efforts.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #188
Anyone else irked by all the missed tackles last night? I thought it was a major issue.

Especially in the last quarter. I think there may have been a couple just a little underdone (Cripps and Murphy) and just couldn't maintain their pressure without the ball plus Weitering who was caught out a couple of times.

Reply #189
Can we call this a victory anyway?

I'm not one for honourable losses, a loss is a loss, but we're talking about a team that finished last got rid of talent, lazy and flawed it may have been, rung the changes with coaching, players, admin, and game plan and we went up against a club that has had a coach and a game plan for 6-ish seasons.

Richmond have not had the turmoil that we've had in the 2010's, they have had the same core players, same coach and the same message. They have a steady administration and a great membership, yes they were missing a couple of pieces, but they should have depth through a decade of high picks that they have kept.

Richmond are being spoken about in the 4th - 6th bracket of teams, yet the "basket case" from last season made them look second rate and bewildered as a wave of blue kept sweeping the ball forward with organisation and dare, highlighting our need for quality forwards, which will come. I wonder if David Parkin wants to retract his comments yet?

Bolton got his assessment right, a lack of poise or "polish" stopped us from getting the 4 points, no time to rest on laurels though Sydney will be much harder than this lot next Sunday

yET fummily enough the Tiges have head the measure of the Swans in recent matches?!!

Go Blues.

Wait till we settle and get Plowman (will be AA by 2017 imo), Sumner (I reckon he'll cut the mustard) and Charlie into the mix.

Gorringe showing he wants to play senior footy too.

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #190

Irked by the fact Martin scared our players and they didnt want to tackle him......we still lack sufficient -players who can play the game when it gets physical....

Reply #191

I thought that some of our tackling was pretty good; we generally tackled with intent and let the Tigers know that they were in for some treatment.  Our tackling in the forward 50 was good; 8 to 4.  However, we lost the tackle count 51 to 60 and the seven players who spent most of the game in defence had seven tackles between them.

The midfielders led the way and, while I wouldn't want them to ease off, we really need others to contribute, particularly the blokes who aren't touching the pill.  Someone like White should really be using his size and strength to bring opponents down and everyone should be working harder to make their tackles stick.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #192
I thought that some of our tackling was pretty good; we generally tackled with intent and let the Tigers know that they were in for some treatment.  Our tackling in the forward 50 was good; 8 to 4.  However, we lost the tackle count 51 to 60 and the seven players who spent most of the game in defence had seven tackles between them.

The midfielders led the way and, while I wouldn't want them to ease off, we really need others to contribute, particularly the blokes who aren't touching the pill.  Someone like White should really be using his size and strength to bring opponents down and everyone should be working harder to make their tackles stick.

Fair post DJC. I saw some terrific tackling, and some slack / non existent tackling as well.

Reply #193
Fair post DJC. I saw some terrific tackling, and some slack / non existent tackling as well.

BB will see all this in the reviews and highlight the NON-TEAM actions and compare them to the selflessness actions.
The passengers will be weeded out and be playing in the magoos.

ALL FOR ONE AND ONE FOR CARLTON!
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #194
Why would we want someone who can't kick and is soft?

Or, on the other hand, someone who can take a mark and kick straight.