Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 2: Carlton vs. Sydney: Post Game Passion (Read 60110 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 2: Carlton vs. Sydney: Post Game Passion

Reply #120
Gibbs has bucketloads of talent but is soft as butter.. Murphy just doesn't have the strength or physicality to be a force in a struggling line up. Both give it up way too easily for senior blokes that the whole team revolves around. They are the problem, make no mistake.

I agree on Gibbs but Murphy gets this free pass with this physical strength excuse. He's our captain, he has to be strong, he has to be able to tackle. There are smaller guys than him in the comp who have no problems sticking a tackle, Hannebery embarrassed him yesterday. Last week against the tigers he was our best player but there were a couple of time when he cost us goals from feeble attempts to tackle.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #121
Part of Murph's issue may be technique, but you can't win with a losing hand. No matter how you cut it, he's not that strong, and not that big. Which, around the stoppages, is a big problem.

Although, it has to be said, our tackling in general is pitiful.

Reply #122
On Gibbs : his softness has been discussed / debated ad nauseam on here and elsewhere. References abound to him looking for easy receives, following the pack, picking and choosing when to go etc.

My possibly stupid question is this :

he's had Pagan, Ratts, Malthouse and Bolton as senior coaches. Included in these coaching changes are also a couple of changes in the senior admin, board etc. of the club. If his various issues are reported accurately here and elsewhere, how is it that he is still on our list ? And not only still there, but one of our highest paid players ? How is it possible that he has managed to flim flam one coach and admin after another ?

Are there mitigating circumstances, or is it possible that our analyses are either inaccurate or one sided ?

And that is a huge indictment on our club. Paying a soft c*ck like Gibbs top dollar is bordering on criminal. The guy should have been traded years ago. I honestly can't see what he brings to our club. He's a shyte player, not media savvy and costing us a sh*tload. What's to like?

I don't know how many times I've almost destroyed my television because of him. 2 remotes so far have gone to the place where remotes go to die...
Drugs are bad, mmmkay...

Reply #123
I agree on Gibbs but Murphy gets this free pass with this physical strength excuse. He's our captain, he has to be strong, he has to be able to tackle. There are smaller guys than him in the comp who have no problems sticking a tackle, Hannebery embarrassed him yesterday. Last week against the tigers he was our best player but there were a couple of time when he cost us goals from feeble attempts to tackle.

Season 2015, Murph 19 games, 65 tackles. Hannebery 24 games, 123 tackles.

Hmmm............

Reply #124
Gibbs  had a great year when his contract was winding up and we got him at a good rate IMO. There's somethink like 100 players earning 500k and at his best he is easily in the top 50. I didnt see him yesterday though but reverting back to old ways was always a risk. Hopefully he's just warming into the season.

In other news, apparently Murphy was a million dollar player last year (thanks to front loading)

Reply #125
With Murph's tackling, is it fear ?, is it based on medical advice ? is it tackle phobia ?............

Hard to figure out from outside the club.

Reply #126
HE's had three shoulder reco's.

Might have something to do with it.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #127
It could just be crap shoulder issues.

He had an operation that restricted him from any real action till 2 weeks ago and its a problem he has had on and off during his entire career beginning against the Brisbane Lions in his first season.

We are reaping the fruits of not having nursed him into his career until he was ready to compete physically.

Mind you we have been fairly unlucky in that regard with our first rounders.  Most of them have been able to play but all of them have suffered a significant setback.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #128
Yes, it seems as though he's either spooked or has had medical advice re tackling.

Reply #129
He can tackle okay, seen him do it before plenty of times. It's all about intent.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #130
Murphy does appear to be protecting one side.  But he did have 4 tackles for a total of 10 for the year... suggests some intent.

He didn't have his best game, our entire midfield group got collectively smashed.

Reply #131
With Murph and Gibbsy and who ever else is not as hard as we want and with what BB is thinking.
Just think would that player be of the Hawthorn mould? With that thought you would get an idea whether BB wants them in his team. ???
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #132
With Murph and Gibbsy and who ever else is not as hard as we want and with what BB is thinking.
Just think would that player be of the Hawthorn mould? With that thought you would get an idea whether BB wants them in his team. ???
Was talking to a mate who was at the game, reckons Gibbs and Everitt looked particular bad (in terms of effort and hardness) live. I saw one passage of play where Gibbs bullocked his way through two tacklers just fwd of centre and got the ball out to someone who kicked a goal. I thought to myself thats the first time I have ever seen (or at least recalled) Gibbs do that since he started at our Club. I am growing very tired of him to be honest. He is what I call a coach killer or uncoachable. I don't believe he can be coached into the player we (and others) want him to be. BB has come from the Clarkson school, I don't reckon he can coach Gibbs to be the type of player he want, I don't think any one can. I may be wrong and may be proven wrong, but at this stage thats what I think. I also think he will be traded at the first available opportunity. We cannot continue to carry blokes like him any longer. Senior experienced blokes like Gibbs, Murphy, Everitt, Jamo, Simpson, Rowe et al should be taking games by the scruff of the neck and bringing the young kids with them. Not one of those blokes is capable of doing it. Murphy maybe if he rekindled some of the early career form. The rest, pfffft.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #133
Was talking to a mate who was at the game, reckons Gibbs and Everitt looked particular bad (in terms of effort and hardness) live. I saw one passage of play where Gibbs bullocked his way through two tacklers just fwd of centre and got the ball out to someone who kicked a goal. I thought to myself thats the first time I have ever seen (or at least recalled) Gibbs do that since he started at our Club. I am growing very tired of him to be honest. He is what I call a coach killer or uncoachable. I don't believe he can be coached into the player we (and others) want him to be. BB has come from the Clarkson school, I don't reckon he can coach Gibbs to be the type of player he want, I don't think any one can. I may be wrong and may be proven wrong, but at this stage thats what I think. I also think he will be traded at the first available opportunity. We cannot continue to carry blokes like him any longer. Senior experienced blokes like Gibbs, Murphy, Everitt, Jamo, Simpson, Rowe et al should be taking games by the scruff of the neck and bringing the young kids with them. Not one of those blokes is capable of doing it. Murphy maybe if he rekindled some of the early career form. The rest, pfffft.

Who are the "steel" at the core of our team presently? I can think of people like White, Rowe, Tuohy but they have major shortcomings in other areas. Cripps is still very much developing. I think BB will have realised by now that that is probably the very first area he needs to address. Without a tough and solid core to build around, progress will be difficult and we can never aspire to be a Hawks or Swans.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #134
The hate for Gibbs here is astonishing, I wish we had another half a dozen as good as him.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.