Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 2: Carlton vs. Sydney: Post Game Passion (Read 60028 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 2: Carlton vs. Sydney: Post Game Passion

Reply #197
To all the people on here that claim ' I don't get the criticism of Murphy and Gibbs' it's quite simple. Chuck on the replay and watch the centre bounce when it is 2 goals all and watch what both Murphy and Gibbs do when they get their hands on the ball. Then go back and as painful as it may be, watch the Carlton Richmond replay as well and watch them do it again. The pull out a replay each year from the past 2-3 years and watch them do it all over again. If you can't be bothered or don't wish to actually see if you're right or wrong, well, as they say, sweet ignorance is bliss.

If you guys think that is acceptable from two highly paid players that have almost two decades of experience between them then I do not want to hear you complain about where the club is ever again because quite simply, you are willing to accept mediocrity. We will never get anywhere with these two running our midfield, mark my words. And yes I'm sure Murphy will come out and play a blinder and everyone will go 'oh great game Murph' but that should be the rule, not the exception as it seems to be. 
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #198
Posts reads like our former contributor Mosquito Fleet.
 :o

It's not mossie guys, the use of words and conjugation is completely different. Trust the site detective. ;D
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #199
The Age Carlton vs Swans:

Best Carlton: Wright, Weitering, Thomas, Gibbs, Docherty, Kerridge.

The other site I checked was the AFL website summary again with Gibbs in the best four.  No independent article I have read, has been critical of this game or has given a 'Cotchin' type review of his game.

Interesting what different sets of eyes see.

Yeah, especially when they look at the stats sheet and not the game.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #200
Yes I understand Murph has his limitations ie he's a bit small and not very strong so okay that's fair enough but why then is he the highest paid player and captain of our club? I mean look at our top three earners, Murphy, Gibbs and Daisy (who was okay on Sunday but not 700k okay). And you guys wonder why we struggle. Go look at every other club's top 3 paid players and see the huge gulf in hunger and hardness. We will always be soft with Gibbs and Murphy running our midfield, they have shown themselves to be incapable of what we need from them time and time again. Just look at the one constant throughout this whole mess, they are it.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #202
I don't think that anyone has mentioned that Cripps got a corky early in the game and had limited mobility.

Possibility 'cos no-one knew??? I didn't......

10 tackles though, shows he can still have an impact even when not able to cover the ground as well as he'd like. Love him more every week.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #203
Thats the average persons opinion not just your own?
Cool.
Thanks

Viv's on the money, if not for Daisy we would have lost by 4 or 5 more goals, he never stopped trying unlike some others on our list.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #205
No Carlton player in the coaches' votes.  Seems fair.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #206
What would they know B4L?

Not only has Gibbs never been dropped but each of those coaches, except perhaps Barker, have singled Gibbs out for high praise.  I'm not sure what it is about Gibbs that raises the ire of some supporters but I suspect that I may have stumbled across it during the Swans NAB game.  A supporter seated not far from me was critical of Gibbs throughout the game and, after one passage of play that we stuffed up, launched into a tirade of abuse about how weak Gibbs was; he was actually on the interchange bench at the time  ::)

Supporters see what they want to see, coaches see what they are paid to see.

I've had the same thing happen to me, I sat next to a significant club benefactor last season watching a game and he let rip a massive rant about Murphy when it was actually Boekhurst who squibbed some contests. Ironically it was the Collingwood game last year at The G when Murphy was clearly BOG. This supporter is obviously fixated on Murphy for some reason, and even when Murphy was at his very best the supporters brain still blames him for a defeat. During the same game he leaned across and asked me who Cripps was!

Unfortunately this was a bloke who f0rks out big dollars to support Carlton but in my estimate he probably could not tell SpecialK from Gallucci. All he is interested in is Carlton winning and being associated with a winning club, when we don't he cuts loose with massive rants. The really sad part of this, some of them are big enough dollar donors that the club and it's other high end support groups have to sit tough and listen to their complaints. If something is spoken often enough it can be perceived as true even if it is baseless.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #207
@LP

Funny!

I was invited to a Hawthorn game last year by someone who presents himself to me as one of their ardent supporters. About halfway through the first quarter he leaned over and asked me who the Hawks #15 was! I was gobsmacked.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #208
agreed. its not mosquito fleet.

Im mosquito fleet ;)

Classic  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #209
Everyone seems to focus on our mid-field, particularly Gibbs, Murphy & Thomas. I think Murphy is a fabulous leader. I think he leads from the front, puts his body on the line and never stops running. His problem is we do not have enough good followers. We do not have enough players who can do their jobs. With Murphy it is not the leadership that is the problem, it is the lack of followship.
With Thomas, I think we paid too much for him and he has been injured. I think he he can keep fit and stay on the field, he will be a lot better and make a positive contribution to the team. He has great leadership and is a excellent team player. But at his best he may not be now value for money. So i think we should judge him on what he does rather than what the previous administration did to get him here.
With Gibbs, the reason the Coaches love him is that he does his job. He has the ability to stay disciplined and not get caught up in the emotion of the game. It was only under Malthouse where he was allowed to go out and consistently hunt the ball. The consequence was he won the B&F.
I actually think our problem is that we do not have dominant key position players. We have Jamison down back who is competitive but is past his best and Casboult up forward who is problematic. Our key position players may beat their opponents, or reduce their effect on the game, but they do not dominate the games. Weitering Curnow, Plowman, McKay, Silvagni, Glass-McClasken could all be part of the future solution to this issue. You will be surprised how good our running players will be come if we developed a good spine.