Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 6: Pre Game Palaver: Carlton vs. Essendon (Read 56020 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 6: Pre Game Palaver: Carlton vs. Essendon

Reply #45
. Weitering is a freak and an exception not the rule.  Patience is the key.
C Curnow can be thrown into the same boat, he has been pretty good. Initially it looked like it would be a while before he broke into the side.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #46
I heard that the club  over-looked Collins as they thought that JGM would be available late (rookie pick #1) due to his perceived "kicking issues".  If SOS couldn't pick a key defender, who could?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #47
I heard that the club  over-looked Collins as they thought that JGM would be available late (rookie pick #1) due to his perceived "kicking issues".  If SOS couldn't pick a key defender, who could?

As long as they are picking footballers and not athletes I don't care. Collins is a serious footballer, I don't know enough about JGM to confidently comment but sheez he's stacked on some size in a short period of time! Some clubs were concerned about Collin's perceived lack of closing speed / pace, but keep in mind Weitering is not that fast(Not that slow either!) but knows where to be so he often seems to have time, space and momentum on his side.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #48
In this case we are pinning our hopes on a young kid who was overlooked by every club in the main draft last year and was grabbed in the rookie draft. Check the NB coaches notes and watch the kid live.  Could be good in the future but far from near it yet.  As a key position player he probably needs 2 good preseasons. We are 'developing' a very good team not fast tracking one.  JMG and young SOS are our future not our present.  We killed off Krooze too early as did Melbourne with Watts.  Give them as taste at the right time but don't think they are ready to go. Weitering is a freak and an exception not the rule.  Patience is the key.

There is a bit of hope pinning going on but for what I understand good reason.

I have a heard a story that apparently he wasnt all that keen on footy till his final year of school and was playing basketball (good hands in close, big tick) up until 2014.  He was able to contain Josh Schache and wore him like a glove, and is a 198cm sized player who likes to run and create as well as stop his opponent.

Generally regarded as a "safe kick" if not a good one, which Im not entirely sure what that means, and he tested well at the combine.

Regarded as a raw AFL talent, but one with a future and has had exposure at either end of the ground.

Now, what that means for us is that he is tagged with the potential tag.  Will he get it together?  Who knows, but he has 3 years on our rookie list to show something, and people are likewise excited because its a bloke that Bolton will get his hands on rather than anyone else.

Based on that write up, at worst he is a replacement for Rowe and will give us similar.  At best he will be an upgrade on Rowe and will give us more.

Im happy with that.

Should he play soon?  no chance.

We will see how we go with him.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #49
Based on that write up, at worst he is a replacement for Rowe and will give us similar.  At best he will be an upgrade on Rowe and will give us more.

At worst, Glass-McCasker will be delisted without playing a senior game.  He has a long way to go before he is a chance to displace Rowe or get ahead of Jamison in the pecking order.  However, we do have a good record in developing rookies into capable defenders and using a rookie pick on Glass-McCasker was a good decision.  Time will tell whether it will pay off.

I can't really see any changes to our defence for the Essendon game.  I don't think Bolton is the type of coach who will gift games to fringe players and, from the reports of the NBs game, none of our new blokes are putting their hands up, with the possible exception of Tutt.

Of the established players, Armfield seems to be the only one who has done enough to merit senior selection.  I think he would provide more as a defensive forward than Buckley has so far, but Buckley is getting better as he learns the role.

I suspect that the only changes this week will be to the emergencies.  Team selection this week will reveal a little more about Bolton's thinking.

Seven's commentators effectively dismissed Essendon's chances of a win next week and I think they're right - as long as we don't revert to our NAB Challenge team. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #50
At worst, Glass-McCasker will be delisted without playing a senior game.  He has a long way to go before he is a chance to displace Rowe or get ahead of Jamison in the pecking order.  However, we do have a good record in developing rookies into capable defenders and using a rookie pick on Glass-McCasker was a good decision.  Time will tell whether it will pay off.

I can't really see any changes to our defence for the Essendon game.  I don't think Bolton is the type of coach who will gift games to fringe players and, from the reports of the NBs game, none of our new blokes are putting their hands up, with the possible exception of Tutt.

Of the established players, Armfield seems to be the only one who has done enough to merit senior selection.  I think he would provide more as a defensive forward than Buckley has so far, but Buckley is getting better as he learns the role.

I suspect that the only changes this week will be to the emergencies.  Team selection this week will reveal a little more about Bolton's thinking.

Seven's commentators effectively dismissed Essendon's chances of a win next week and I think they're right - as long as we don't revert to our NAB Challenge team.

Won't be a blow out as we won't ever get that far in front. Just hope we don't give these cheats too much of a sniff.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #51
back to back?

Reply #52
I would bet their will still be a couple of changes... might help freshen us up on the back of the trip to Perth, and we have a few guys who are playing on limited preparations.

And we didn't really play that well.

Looks like Everitt, Walker, Armfield & Boekhorst could all be available.

Reply #53
I would bet their will still be a couple of changes... might help freshen us up on the back of the trip to Perth, and we have a few guys who are playing on limited preparations.

I think we'll definitely be strongly selecting for another win v. the Bummers and so a bit more experience may well be in the selectors minds.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #54
I think we'll definitely be strongly selecting for another win v. the Bummers and so a bit more experience may well be in the selectors minds.

Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing what is in the selectors' minds but, apart from Armfield, our experienced players didn't put their hands up in the NBs.  Perhaps White is in with a chance.

As to who would go out, Buckley, Lamb and Sumner would have to be most likely.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #55

All calves and hamstrings.

Wonder if there was something in our pre-season?. Even SOS had  a string.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #56
All calves and hamstrings.

Wonder if there was something in our pre-season?. Even SOS had  a string.

Yep, running, less interchange and no sub rule! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #57

I was thinking more long term DJC.  When I look at our playing group, I see two 22's.  The one that is for the now, and the one that is what we transition to moving forward.  In any given week we will mix these teams up, and some of our best 22 moving forward will be the same as the one that plays now, whilst some of our blokes are in neither.

Thats the sort of forward planning we have been missing, and most likely due to having too many holes in the side.

You can't have contingencies for everyone, but if we look at what replaces our oldest players now, we can worry about the other missing links later and not free fall like we did in case a replacement doesnt work and we can also get them up to speed whilst they have someone to learn their role off, and then they can pass that knowledge on to the next crop of youngsters.

So for me we have the following with the future of our best 22 in Brackets  these should ebb and flow based on who is ready sooner or who has improved immensely:

FB:----Weitering(Weitering)---------Jamison(Plowman)------------Simpson(Docherty)

HB: White(Byrne)--------------Rowe(Glass-Mckasker)-----------------Tuohy(Skittles)

C:   Murphy(Graham)--------------Kerridge(Cunningham)---------------------------Thomas(Boekhorst)

HF:  Everitt(Silvagni)---------Casboult(Mckay)-------------------Gibbs(Sumner)

FF:   --Walker(C. Curnow)--------------Jones(Jaksch)----------------------Wright(Lamb)

F:  Kreuzer(Korcheck)---------Cripps(Cripps)----------------------------E.Curnow(Whiley)

*INT: Tutt, Armfield, Phillips(Gorringe), Buckley (Smith)

*I have put some current interchange players into one or the other best 22 for a purpose else they would be there instead of our future best 22.  Im looking longer term than just 3 years away as we want to win multiple flags rather than just one and to do that we need to forward plan much better than we used to, and not just fling blokes to fill a perceived need without looking at the overall effect of it.

Guys like Foster, Gowers, Wood, Sheehan, Dick need to get a move on and establish themselves as a future replacement for one of our current elderstatesmen as they will be pushed out for someone who will be.

Thats not to say that we wont fling anyone else either who currently is in our best 22, but I get the idea that this is how we should think of our team moving forward.

Paul Hewson

Reply #58

Everitt for Jones should be a no-brainer, so should Walker or Boekhorst for Buckley.
We need our forwards getting their hands on the ball.
A win on the weekend shouldn't guarantee any spots, Essendon are an above average VFL team this season.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #59
Everitt for Jones should be a no-brainer, so should Walker or Boekhorst for Buckley.
We need our forwards getting their hands on the ball.
A win on the weekend shouldn't guarantee any spots, Essendon are an above average VFL team this season.

Everitt cant replace Jones.

It sends the wrong message.

Jones actually tries.  Everitt just coasts around waiting to kick a couple of goals.

Paul Hewson