Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 7: Post Game Pleasure: Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 51564 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 7: Post Game Pleasure: Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #180
I have posted before, if we can come away with a solid back half after year 1 of a rebuild we're doing very well.

Docherty, Weitering, Plowman and Byrne. That's a 10 year backline, we need to add a lockdown small defender and another big and we have a group that will grow together.

With the forward line, they are mostly speculative - Curnow, McKay and Silvagni could be anything or nothing, add in Boekhurst as a HFF/Wing and we have building blocks. Again need another big and two small forwards, and this draft seems to be full of small forwards with pace who can pinch hit in the midfield.

Mids is where we need the most help, quality ball users with speed and grunt x 4, cause they're soooo easy to get   ::)

I think its easier to lure across a key forward when you label him as 'the missing piece of the puzzle' via free agency than it is to get a key backman.
Backs you want to learn and grow together and to know what each of them are going to do in any given situation. Plug and play backs are very hard to make work.
Key forwards just need to do the basics well. As the music men put it....
"Lead, mark, kick a goal, kick a goal, kick a goal.
Lead mark kick a goal, kick another goal"

Also, mids can be gotten relatively cheap by comparison. Kerridge cost us 1/5th of Menzel. Slots straight in. A couple more like him and you are halfway there. Use the odd pick on the best mid available and rebuild complete. Any pockets/flankers you pick up via free agency if needed, or later round selections.

Re: Rd 7: Post Game .........: Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #181
Jeza, as I was watching the final stages of that last quarter, i was thinking back to some of the great half backers of past great Carlton eras to compare Docherty to.  I went back to mid 90s...Mackay, hmm......sort of , but not quite, seems silkier than Macca...similar to Secca ? in his composure, yes, but his delivery is better.

So, what about back another 15 years to the late 70s/early 80s ?  McConville ?  nope........., Hunter (when he was at half back)...yeah, closer to the mark, Geoff Southby......well....now I think we're getting pretty close to the mark...he was composure personified, a brilliant reader of the play, great runner & pinpoint kick up the field.....

But, then I saw how much time Doch seems to have at times, almost as if he's pressed a slo-mo button on the rest of the game....and there was only one other bloke I've seen who could look like that.....Doull.  The thought entered my head almost against my will, I mean surely that's a ridiculous (almost sacreligious) comparison.  He's got along way to go of course, but in those few moments of the game, that's the player who Docherty most reminds me of among those greats of the past.....

And it's been a long time since I've been as confident about someone in our back half !!!

cheers

Mal.
Cant argue with the logic malo. ;)
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #182
Not sure what the stat is called but we seem to give away very few goals from turnover due to errors coming out from our back 50.

Can someone get that stat for me as I'm keen to see where we sit in comparison to the rest of he comp.

We are very clean in moving the ball out of our back 50
and even under pressure we clear it. Wasn't long ago that we would cough up several goals a game from terrible turnovers from out of defence. Everyone we were in a game late you could count on one of our defenders to make a poor decision or skill error and hand the opposition a goal for them to take the game.

Not anymore.

Reply #183
Docherty now known as Doullherty? :o ;)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #184
It's amazing how much better players appear to be when they can play with some freedom.

It looks like they know what they are supposed to be doing, bizarre, just bizarre! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #185
It's amazing how much better players appear to be when they can play with some freedom.

It looks like they know what they are supposed to be doing, bizarre, just bizarre! :o

Also amazing how much better they play when all the team has a crack for 99% of the game.
If you have 2 or 3 guys that are lazy and won't chase it becomes infectious

Reply #186
Also amazing how much better they play when all the team has a crack for 99% of the game.
If you have 2 or 3 guys that are lazy and won't chase it becomes infectious

Especially if those guys are continually allowed to get away with it!
Reality always wins in the end.

Re: Rd 7: Post Game .........: Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #187
Jeza, as I was watching the final stages of that last quarter, i was thinking back to some of the great half backers of past great Carlton eras to compare Docherty to.  I went back to mid 90s...Mackay, hmm......sort of , but not quite, seems silkier than Macca...similar to Secca ? in his composure, yes, but his delivery is better.

So, what about back another 15 years to the late 70s/early 80s ?  McConville ?  nope........., Hunter (when he was at half back)...yeah, closer to the mark, Geoff Southby......well....now I think we're getting pretty close to the mark...he was composure personified, a brilliant reader of the play, great runner & pinpoint kick up the field.....

But, then I saw how much time Doch seems to have at times, almost as if he's pressed a slo-mo button on the rest of the game....and there was only one other bloke I've seen who could look like that.....Doull.  The thought entered my head almost against my will, I mean surely that's a ridiculous (almost sacreligious) comparison.  He's got along way to go of course, but in those few moments of the game, that's the player who Docherty most reminds me of among those greats of the past.....

And it's been a long time since I've been as confident about someone in our back half !!!

cheers

Mal.

Mal, reading this post gave me goose bumps. Doull is such a legend of the game. Maybe Doc is the love child he never talked about. Then again Doull never talked that much, just let his football do the talking for him.

Reply #188
Docherty now known as Doullherty? :o ;)

Doullherty and ROWEVAGNI!!!
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #189
The Filth and their supporters are really shattered after this loss.
They honestly thought we d be a pushover like Essendon were on Anzac Day.
They did not see this loss coming.
That's why Nafan and McChins are copping grenades from the ferals now lol

Reply #190
@ Malo

The guy I always think of when I see Doc is Peter Dean - even looks like him from a distance I think.

Reply #191
@ Malo

The guy I always think of when I see Doc is Peter Dean - even looks like him from a distance I think.

Yep, another bewty.  I'm loving that back 6 development in general.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #192
i think Saturday showed exactly the gulf between Weitering and Jamison - the latter a shadow of the player he was 54 years ago.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #193
i think Saturday showed exactly the gulf between Weitering and Jamison - the latter a shadow of the player he was 54 years ago.

Yep, the game starts catching up with you as you are getting into your late 70s.  :o

Reply #194
Great to see Kreuzer run round all day.  I know people will correct me if I'm wrong, but Madden needed to ruck all day and struggled a bit if Matty Allan had too much time running around.  Madden retired, Allan comes good and struggles when Porter? had too much ruck.  There are other examples around other clubs as well, I'm sure - some of the big fellows just need to go and go and go to work and they love it.  Sauce was another - he was coming good when he had his chance and then saw a better opporutnity elsewhere.

I hope to see less of the two ruckman and more Kreuze.