Skip to main content
Topic: Trumpled (Alternative Leading) (Read 384915 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Trumpled (Alternative Leading)

Reply #2835
Person A commits a parking offence. Person B commits murder. Both are criminals. They’re the same.

Reply #2836
Biden said Antifa Is ‘An Idea, Not An Organization’ during the Presidential Debate

Believe that and you believe anything

Reply #2838
Again, the inferred meaning of fight in these contexts means violence and also profiles the standard Trump supporter, who it sounds like you think would raise fists at each and every opportunity just with the words written.

In actuality, the comments can mean varying different things, and the inference here is that Trump is inferring violence.

For the most part, I find myself restating my position here.  I am ambivalent, I really don't see the difference between praising one, and condemning the other.  Either you do both, or you do neither.  I see the commentary, and I hear the propaganda, and I laugh at the juxtaposition that people hold when commenating about all these things.  Trump should have conceded fair and square, he hasnt, and for the most part, I support his right to question whether or not the outcome was fair and ask for recount etc.  I would state the same for any other person in the same position because I am detached from the person.  Likewise, Twitter, Facebook etc.  If someone writes something on these social media platforms, they shouldnt be silenced.  That is not the society I want to live in.  An enlightened mind will entertain an idea without accepting it.

BLM had a bunch of people fighting for their rights to protest, fighting for their rights to be heard and stand up for their human rights.  Some did so violently, others did so peacefully, but all had the same goal.  They were simply fighting for their rights, no?

I hear varying degrees of the same sort of vitriol coming from people saying "its different this time" as I always do, which is the irony and hypocrisy I am pointing to.

I bet you, that the majority of respondents here are painting me as a Trump supporter.  I am not.  I don't really care, I choose my position to keep the bastards honest, as per a previous Aussie PM. 

But not in that context Thry.

An audience of Proud Boys and other militant right wingers, many armed, some with explosives and most spoiling for a fight.

And then there’s the body language of the POTUS and the other speakers.  Watch the videos.

The POTUS has been building this up since before the election.  He was determined to hang on to power and knew that his MAGA base and other disaffected nutters would do his bidding, and do his bidding they did. 

I know that you’re not a Trump supporter Thry; you’re too smart for that.  But you can be contrary at times 😇
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #2839
Both the Democrats and Republicans are totally complicit in the rise and acceptance of a figure like Trump. Both have left the majority of Americans for dead, and they have both directly created the desperation and nihilism that had its most visible expression on Capitol Hill.

Trump is awful, and I’m as glad as most sane people that he is almost gone. Whilst I prefer a more gentlemanly and honourable approach to politics, as exemplified by the Democrats, they aren’t the answer, not even close. I expect some kind of civility will return, but any improvement in the lot of working people will be minor at best.

I find it laughable that a frankly tepid figure like Sanders would generate such hostility and hysteria, when his policies do not amount to anything more than trying to make the lives of most Americans a little better. You’d think he was trying to start a mad commie revolution.

A joke of a country, similar to the UK, looking for easy populist solutions (read : scapegoats) to justify gossamer policy making. 

Reply #2842
Here’s a pretty horrifying look into the sewer that is the Alt-Right:
Inside the Alt-Right Meltdown After Failed Capitol Putsch, Yahoo/Daily Beast.
In fairness, the author of that article is very far from neutral, he's probably as close to being one of McCarthy's Commis as you can get, but that fact does not invalidate his commentary it just questions his motive and exposes how difficult it is for the neutral majority to be heard.

The media, both commercial and social, loves conflict.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2843
But not in that context Thry.

An audience of Proud Boys and other militant right wingers, many armed, some with explosives and most spoiling for a fight.

And then there’s the body language of the POTUS and the other speakers.  Watch the videos.

The POTUS has been building this up since before the election.  He was determined to hang on to power and knew that his MAGA base and other disaffected nutters would do his bidding, and do his bidding they did. 

I know that you’re not a Trump supporter Thry; you’re too smart for that.  But you can be contrary at times 😇

Look DJC, I can appreciate that people are inferring meaning in his comments, we have had to the whole way through, but the same people who inferred meaning now, didnt in the past.

They made lists like the following without even worrying what the inference was about.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/12/20/politics/trump-lines-of-the-year-the-point/index.html

Im going to point at this one line.

35. "You know, with Biden, you go like this -- whew -- and he goes down."
No big deal! Just the President of the United States saying he would knock out the former vice president of the United States with one punch!

Things are sometimes mentioned literally, figuratively, and with Trump, often preposterously.

In this case, its looking at what he has stated, how he has stated it, and to whom he was aiming the comments, whilst profiling that audience and equating it to making violence happen.

Thats a quantum leap for a man, who has not been known to make statements well. 

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #2844
Time to cut Islamic extremists some slack? If we judged them as some would judge Trump, it’s hardly their fault if their audience fails to realise that they’re speaking rhetorically. Maybe they’re just doing it ironically to troll the Christians. Who are we to infer any malice? And yet Western governments crack down on their online communications. Whatever happened to freedom of speech?

Reply #2845
Peaceful protest!

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #2846
@madbluboy I'm confused by this thread/debate, some posts seem to be discussing BLM and others Capitol Hill.

I don't get the relevance of the above image from May, it's a BLM protest, and BLM bears no specific relationship to GOP or Conservative as it bridges both sides of politics. Which is in no way a commentary about the validity of actions, all violent protests are wrong.

Is there some attempt to paint BLM as political ideology specific?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #2847
Sunrise were discussing it the other day. Said Trump took stronger action on what was a peaceful protest.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #2848
Haven’t you got the hang of this false equivalence thing yet LP? Here’s a quick lesson. Black and white are both colours, so black = white.

You’d think if you really were trying to find true equivalence b/w Trump inciting a deadly attack on the US Government and the BLM protests, you’d think there’d be some thought put into tying The Democratic Party to any riots. Sadly, the first problem that arises is that Biden unequivocally condemned anything but peaceful protesting.

I guess the fallback is to say that supporting peaceful BLM protesting was wrong, First Amendment be damned (cancel culture anyone?), as criminals and extremists may take advantage of them. But that would be inconsistent with the defence of Trump that you can’t hold someone responsible for the actions of extremists even when inciting violence.

Damn, it’s so hard to put together a false equivalence that isn’t obviously bogus.

Reply #2849
Trump said he wanted a peaceful protest too.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!