Skip to main content
Topic: "The Reality Check" Leads To "The Trenches At Gallipoli"  (Read 4439 times) previous topic - next topic

"The Reality Check" Leads To "The Trenches At Gallipoli"

On the weekend, Carlton were belted by the best team in the competition. We were all expecting a loss and to some extent, the margin wasn't entirely out of most people's range of numbers.

Many people are lamenting the state of where we are but if you look at it honestly, the Hawks had just touched up the Swans & Frockers by 70-80 points each. Therefore, given they are the next two best teams in the league, the smacking we copped should not have come as a complete surprise.

What was on display for everyone to witness was the stark difference between our playing list and that of the acknowledged league leaders. We were given the biggest reality check we have ever had and hopefully, some of our supporters will look at our players without the navy-blue goggles on from now.

Yes, we do have a nucleus of decent players from which to build from but the simple fact is, we cannot keep persisting with anyone who would be ranked as a "fringe" player. We need top shelf players with a killer attitude and a set of skills to match if we want to get anywhere in this business.    

Something that did stand out to me in this recent match was that we have too many players who just don't want to keep fighting. For some, it just gets too hard so they stop chasing, shepherding, tackling etc.

Unfortunately, this is a culture that has been brewing for many years and is a genuine reason why we are behind the rest of the competition. Just look at Andre Everitt, when he first arrived, he worked his ring off all game. Now he too picks and chooses when to go because that is the norm amongst his team-mates.

If I look at the playing list, I think about if I was in the trenches at Gallipoli, how many of them would I want around me to cover my back ??

Sadly, that list isn't very long.

"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Re: "The Reality Check" Leads To "The Trenches At Gallipoli"

Reply #1

Yes, we do have a nucleus of decent players from which to build from but the simple fact is, we cannot keep persisting with anyone who would be ranked as a "fringe" player. We need top shelf players with a killer attitude and a set of skills to match if we want to get anywhere in this business.    

Something that did stand out to me in this recent match was that we have too many players who just don't want to keep fighting. For some, it just gets too hard so they stop chasing, shepherding, tackling etc.

A great many reasons have been put forward to explain the record defeat, but we didn't field a VFL side. We had on the park a team of AFL listed players, many of which have a few years under their belts. I saw this game differently from some of our previous record defeats from the pagan era in that the players were putting in effort. We failed to make tackles because the ball had been disposed of before the tackle could be made. I fear we are often critiquing players for poor efforts when it is more the result of the gulf in skills and ability. A gulf that no amount of effort can hope to bridge. Barker alluded to it in the press conference.

It's going to take another 2 to 3 years to build a core that can challenge for a finals spot. Anything less is overestimating the quality on our list. The only players on our list that in all seriousness could get a game with the current premiers (and there is no point comparing to anyone else) are murphy, docherty, cripps and gibbs.

Cripps is our only young player that is a genuine A grade talent. KJ is the only young tall prospect with long term potential. Outside of them, we have alot of players that are either bit part, fringe or have some potential to maybe become regular senior players but hardly world beaters. It's too early to judge the first year players but the early signs are not great.

Reply #2
My concern is more over the limited number of players who are always prepared to make sacrifices for the betterment of the team. Hawthorn have a stack of them, in fact you don't get to play there if you don't !!

Let's look at who our  "real" trenchmen are :

Kade Simpson
Sam Docherty
Mathew Kreuzer
Clem Smith
Dylan Buckley
Nick Holman
Patrick Cripps

You know without fear or favour, those guys are never going to give up and will battle against the odds.

The rest of the list have shown flaws that make us vulnerable under pressure.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #3
The worst of it is when one of our soldiers get hit they get no backup or support from their teammates..ie Boekhorst gets a cheap shot from Gibson and no one flys the flag..
Its a fundamental concept that you support your team-mates..I dont care if you cant play but when one of your mates go down you get around him and you have his back.
This group dont fly he flag and any young kid coming to play for us had better be warned you are free game for snipers because the senior players wont get in there and help...

Reply #4
The worst of it is when one of our soldiers get hit they get no backup or support from their teammates..ie Boekhorst gets a cheap shot from Gibson and no one flys the flag..
Its a fundamental concept that you support your team-mates..I dont care if you cant play but when one of your mates go down you get around him and you have his back.
This group dont fly he flag and any young kid coming to play for us had better be warned you are free game for snipers because the senior players wont get in there and help...

This ^^^

But generally you do see some of the young folk flying the flag also Woods does it well.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #5
It was also well and truly behind the play so hard to know if any of our boys were even around at the time to do anything anyway.

Reply #6
i remember seeing on the weekend, dustin martin giving away a 50m penalty which resulted in a goal.
after the goal, reiwoldt, came in close to martin and pushed away all the frockers that came remind him how much of a fugwit he is
it was an act of leadership that is almost unimaginable at carlton atm

Reply #7
On the weekend, Carlton were belted by the best team in the competition. We were all expecting a loss and to some extent, the margin wasn't entirely out of most people's range of numbers.

Many people are lamenting the state of where we are but if you look at it honestly, the Hawks had just touched up the Swans & Frockers by 70-80 points each. Therefore, given they are the next two best teams in the league, the smacking we copped should not have come as a complete surprise.

What was on display for everyone to witness was the stark difference between our playing list and that of the acknowledged league leaders. We were given the biggest reality check we have ever had and hopefully, some of our supporters will look at our players without the navy-blue goggles on from now.

Unfortunately, this is a culture that has been brewing for many years and is a genuine reason why we are behind the rest of the competition. Just look at Andre Everitt, when he first arrived, he worked his ring off all game. Now he too picks and chooses when to go because that is the norm amongst his team-mates.

If I look at the playing list, I think about if I was in the trenches at Gallipoli, how many of them would I want around me to cover my back ??

Sadly, that list isn't very long.

Well said, Ye Sheikness.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #8
This ^^^

But generally you do see some of the young folk flying the flag also Woods does it well.

Kreuzer needs to develop a nasty streak and Levi should ne TOLD to crunch a few people as often as possible - and legally.
Finals, then 4 in a row!