Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 8: Pre Game Judgements St Kilda vs Carlton (Read 24665 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 8: Pre Game Judgements St Kilda vs Carlton

Reply #30
Agreed. Same line up.

Cuningham for, say, Graham, would be very hard on the latter who has more than held his own in his 2 games thus far....

SOJ and Fisher could no doubt do with more rest. When did a hammy 'strain' (?) come up in  2 weeks in any event?

Daisy, Kerridge and Smedts add such much needed maturity to the team - noting the latter two aren't at all old in footy life terms.

Still think Smedts will become a very good player for us.

I have taken a liking to Smedts but he was very ordinary vs the Pies and reckon his position could be more at risk than Grahams IMO...

Reply #31
It's a bit hard to drop players after last week's effort but we'll definitely need both pace and determination to stick tackles this week. Any possible changes will be focused on that IMO.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #32
I have taken a liking to Smedts but he was very ordinary vs the Pies and reckon his position could be more at risk than Grahams IMO...
I think he needs a decent go in the 1s to show if is a can or a cannot, ditto Graham as its make or break time.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #33
Nick Graham stays 100%. Busted his ass in the 2's to earn a recall and playing more than serviceable role at the moment. The message is clear, play well and get a game and it shows by bringing form players into the 1's.

He is providing a great link man around teh contest (10 marks) which I prefer as he runs all day, but is a bit slow of mind in and around the contest. Pushing forward nicely as well and finding space.

Keep going Nick.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #34
Nick Graham stays 100%. Busted his ass in the 2's to earn a recall and playing more than serviceable role at the moment. The message is clear, play well and get a game and it shows by bringing form players into the 1's.

He is providing a great link man around teh contest (10 marks) which I prefer as he runs all day, but is a bit slow of mind in and around the contest. Pushing forward nicely as well and finding space.

Keep going Nick.

x2. Agree.

Never going to be a 'A grader' but he provides the support for our first line mids which is an area we have been lacking in recent times.

As supporters IMO, too often we underestimate the importance of the second stringers like Graham as they are not star quality and therefore we discount their qualities as they never win a game or stand out but they are vital part of the team make up. They provide the pressure needed around the ball in blocking and tackling. In turn their work makes life so much easier for the A graders to hurt the opposition. (see the big No8 as another example of these qualities).

He's also been more careful this year with his ball use and as a result doesn't turn it over like previous years. Plus has a knack of going forward and finding space and can kick an unexpected goal. 

I will be shocked if he doesn't keep his spot.

Reply #35
I'd consider giving Kreuzer and Thomas the week off too.

These guys have struggled at etihad with the foot injuries and we go West to Freo next week which is a much more winnable game IMHO and a much more winnable game for us.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #36

These guys have struggled at etihad with the foot injuries and we go West to Freo next week which is a much more winnable game IMHO and a much more winnable game for us.

Not sure I agree.

We are not playing to just snare the points - Kreuzer is vital how the teams preforms and his work in the centre is vital for all our mids. See the Port game to see the difference when his big body is not in the way of opposition mids breaking from stoppages. The saints have good quality mids and without Kreuzers inclose work,  we will likely suffer another Port margin loss. 

He was rested only 3 weeks ago and so was Thomas. While both seem to have ongoing issues both should not require another 'rest' IMO just yet. 

Regarding whether its winnable. only have to look at last week results to know practically every game is winnable depending on how hard you come to play.

Reply #37
Guys of Kerridge / Graham / Daisy's pace will most likely get destroyed against quicker sides like St Kilda.

Fine if you want to be loyal to a winning team but you may as well send out witches hats.

I'd bring Fisher straight back and go for Pickett. Leave Kerridge and probably Graham out. Nothing against Graham who has been really good - it's just horses for courses. Part of playing with the grown ups.

Reply #38
Agree we need a bit more pace against the Saints at ES this Sat.

Not sure we need as many tall defenders either - Rowe, A.Silvagni, White, Plowman and Marchbank seems a little too big for mine. Being working OK though. Just wondering, however, if we may bring in another runner for say someone like Simon White. BUT, what we have is some decent structure, strength and toughness down back now. And, I'm loving Alex Silvagni and also Sam Rowe with their fierceness. Loving Tom Williamson coupled with Sam Docherty. Simpson and Doch having more midfield minutes is smart also.

Reply #39
I was thinking about playing ACOS on the wing against Riewoldt but I doubt whether the latter will play. He could only run in a straight line against GWS.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #40
x2. Agree.

Never going to be a 'A grader' but he provides the support for our first line mids which is an area we have been lacking in recent times.

As supporters IMO, too often we underestimate the importance of the second stringers like Graham as they are not star quality and therefore we discount their qualities as they never win a game or stand out but they are vital part of the team make up. They provide the pressure needed around the ball in blocking and tackling. In turn their work makes life so much easier for the A graders to hurt the opposition. (see the big No8 as another example of these qualities).

He's also been more careful this year with his ball use and as a result doesn't turn it over like previous years. Plus has a knack of going forward and finding space and can kick an unexpected goal. 

I will be shocked if he doesn't keep his spot.
Fair post Ol' Boy.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #41

WTF is all the rest stuff all of a sudden. Go hard or go home.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #42
Agree we need a bit more pace against the Saints at ES this Sat.

Not sure we need as many tall defenders either - Rowe, A.Silvagni, White, Plowman and Marchbank seems a little too big for mine. Being working OK though. Just wondering, however, if we may bring in another runner for say someone like Simon White. BUT, what we have is some decent structure, strength and toughness down back now. And, I'm loving Alex Silvagni and also Sam Rowe with their fierceness. Loving Tom Williamson coupled with Sam Docherty. Simpson and Doch having more midfield minutes is smart also.

The good thing is all but Rowe can play small or tall....all bar White and Rowe quick enough....suppose it depends on what the match ups are....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #43
If, and its a massive if, but if we can grind out a win this week, plenty will sit up and take notice. The confidence will get and added boost, I reckon the Cocker would really love a win against this mob. There is no reason why we cant knock them off, if we plan and execute as well as we have the last few weeks, I see no reason why we can be a good chance.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #44
If, and its a massive if, but if we can grind out a win this week, plenty will sit up and take notice. The confidence will get and added boost, I reckon the Cocker would really love a win against this mob. There is no reason why we cant knock them off, if we plan and execute as well as we have the last few weeks, I see no reason why we can be a good chance.

Some teams just seem to have our measure... the aints are one. A win against a team like that would show real progress.