Skip to main content
Topic: Round 1 - Blues v Tigers (21 March) Pre-Game (Read 31575 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 1 - Blues v Tigers (21 March)

Reply #1
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/lynch-set-to-miss-pre-season-games-as-tigers-yet-to-make-ruck-call-20190218-p50yn3.html

Unlikely to play round 1 IMO...cocky Tigers probably think they can take us easy without him and will keep him on ice......just be nice to beat them and
start the season on the front foot..

Reply #2
Cannot underestimate the Nthmond playing list.

The reason they are so hard to coach or play against is that Dimma is almost just a figure head, the players run the show and they are very innovative when it comes to leveraging rule changes! ;)

The only thing that may be a problem for them is that they have been caught out a bit by the AFL's rule changes around rucks, stoppages and general play.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3
Cannot underestimate the Nthmond playing list.

The reason they are so hard to coach or play against is that Dimma is almost just a figure head, the players run the show and they are very innovative when it comes to leveraging rule changes! ;)

The only thing that may be a problem for them is that they have been caught out a bit by the AFL's rule changes around rucks, stoppages and general play.

I'll keep saying it - reckon they've (in recent times) got the best out of a motley bunch....reckon they've peaked well and truly - Lynch or no Lynch....ruck division non existent - a major weakness imo.

Best players - Dusty (almost 28), Rance (29), Riewoldt (30), Cotchin (almost 29) etc.

Negate Rance and Dusty (not easy granted) but they are entirely beatable.

Midfield - after the top 4 or so (who aren't getting any younger), meh!

- Higgins, Jack   20   19yr 10mth   19 Mar 1999   177cm   76kg   Oakleigh Chargers   Midfield
Forward
45   Naish, Patrick   0   20yr 1mth   15 Jan 1999   182cm   71kg   Northern Knights   Midfield
Forward
3   Prestia, Dion   130   26yr 4mth   12 Oct 1992   175cm   82kg   Calder Cannons   Midfield
4   Martin, Dustin   201   27yr 7mth   26 Jun 1991   187cm   92kg   Bendigo Pioneers   Midfield
6   Grigg, Shaun   214   30yr 9mth   19 Apr 1988   190cm   85kg   Nth Ballarat   Midfield
9   Cotchin, Trent   220   28yr 10mth   7 Apr 1990   185cm   85kg   Northern Knights   Midfield
26   Collier-Dawkins, Riley   0   19yr   3 Feb 2000   193cm   88kg   Oakleigh Chargers   Midfield
27   Ross, Jack   0   18yr 5mth   3 Sep 2000   186cm   88kg   Oakleigh Chargers   Midfield
28   Turner, Fraser   0   18yr 1mth   26 Dec 2000   187cm   76kg   Clarence   Midfield
32   English, Luke   0   18yr 5mth   20 Aug 2000   181cm   79kg   Perth   Midfield
34   Graham, Jack   23   20yr 11mth   25 Feb 1998   181cm   82kg   North Adelaide   Midfield
37   Menadue, Connor   33   22yr 4mth   19 Sep 1996   187cm   80kg   Western Jets   Midfield
10   Edwards, Shane   231   30yr 3mth   25 Oct 1988   182cm   81kg   Nth Adelaide   Midfield
Forward
22   Caddy, Josh   139   26yr 4mth   28 Sep 1992   186cm   88kg   Northern Knights   Midfield
Forward
23   Lambert, Kane   74   27yr 2mth   26 Nov 1991
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #4
In fairness, I think modern sports medicine has pushed back the boundary regarding peak performance versus age and career length.

34 is now the new 30 in terms of physical abilities, ignoring other factors like a person's mental ability to maintain and persist.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
I think one area they are exposed in is a backup ruckman.  With the new rules, Grigg wont cut it and they wont risk Lynch. They'll need another tall hanging around which might upset their balance. 

Reply #6
In fairness, I think modern sports medicine has pushed back the boundary regarding peak performance versus age and career length.

34 is now the new 30 in terms of physical abilities, ignoring other factors like a person's mental ability to maintain and persist.

Yes, tend to agree with that....look at tennis for example....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #7
I think one area they are exposed in is a backup ruckman.  With the new rules, Grigg wont cut it and they wont risk Lynch. They'll need another tall hanging around which might upset their balance.

Let's hope so, of course our guys have to cross the white line fit and healthy!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #8
I'm probably echoing most people's thoughts in saying that I can imagine us winning this, but can equally imagine getting trounced.

If Kreuzer plays, you'd think that would give us an edge over them with the new rules and our good centre clearance record from last year. Obviously, having first use and the extra space to get it forward should help the three talls to actually kick a score.

On the other hand, our defence really worries me. I re-watched last year's round 1 game again last night and, jeez, we let them have such an open forward set up and Weiters, Jones, Marchbank and Plowman looked completely lost, out of position and slow for much of the time. I'd be going with more of a man-on-man approach this time, which means having some pacier smalls. I'd actually try Polson down there, rather than forward, and O'Brien. Newman will also be crucial. If we can give Richmond the idea that the ball can come bouncing back out with some purpose, that might make them play less frenetically.

Reckon it will be a high-scoring game. We'll win if we stick tight in defence. If they open us up there, we'll get flogged.

Reply #9
I'll keep saying it - reckon they've (in recent times) got the best out of a motley bunch....reckon they've peaked well and truly - Lynch or no Lynch....ruck division non existent - a major weakness imo.

Best players - Dusty (almost 28), Rance (29), Riewoldt (30), Cotchin (almost 29) etc.

Negate Rance and Dusty (not easy granted) but they are entirely beatable.

Midfield - after the top 4 or so (who aren't getting any younger), meh!

Ponder this. We had them 5 goals to nothing rnd 1 last year, got a few injuries and ran out of steam. We will be a better side round 1 this year, will they? If we can stay in games longer and score more goals from fwd entries. we may just surprise/trouble a few sides.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #10
Ponder this. We had them 5 goals to nothing rnd 1 last year, got a few injuries and ran out of steam. We will be a better side round 1 this year, will they? If we can stay in games longer and score more goals from fwd entries. we may just surprise/trouble a few sides.

I reckon (yes, always a glass 3/4 full type) but we will be a much better side this year.

A better,stronger, deeper midfield, some good new mature types (Newman, fasolo, McGovern) who fill recognised gaps in our list, the younger blokes a year older, wiser and stronger and some serious targets up forward who can play footy.

And a tough as, man mountain of a Captain.

I hope Matty K gets up for Rd 1 but don't want him playing if underdone.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #11
(Fit) Kreuzer, Cripps, (Fit) Kennedy and Setterfield is going to be a very strong centre bounce proposition.

Having said that Nank, Dusty, Edwards and Cotchin isn't too bad either.

Will be interesting to see how our midfield unit progresses over the course of the season... provided they can all stay fit.

Ruck is a big advantage for us as Nank is not that tall (or good) and he is on his own. Even Phillips would dominate him in centre hitouts.

Also really looking forward to seeing how our forward line goes with the new rules in place. Not being outnumbered (at least at centre bounces) will be a different experience for those guys.

Reply #12
he is listed at 199cm, Matty K at 200!

But agreed, Kreuzer is a few classes above...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #13
Matt Kennedy and Setterfield will both become bloody good players, the latter potentially elite...

Kennedy had a crappy preseason last year (shoulder issues) then did his foot? in Rd 1 in Q2 - wasn't any good again till the last handful of games.

People who assess CFC on their 2018 'form' are missing the point.

2017 is right benchmark (Doc out notwithstanding) - 2019 will be a step up from 2017 imo. And some.

I expect a 10-12th finish.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #14
he is listed at 199cm, Matty K at 200!

But agreed, Kreuzer is a few classes above...

And Kreuzer had a shocker of a season last year and a knee this preseason. Need a bit to go our way even on this front.