Skip to main content
Topic: Reset Rants (Read 65580 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Reset Rants

Reply #30
I suspect that if we're bottom 4 and looking as terrible as we currently do at year's end, then there'll be new faces in the coaching ranks in 2019.

You mean senior coach or assistants ?

Reply #31
I'm concerned that there is a lot of faith expected and no guarantees in the rebuild process.   We can all handle a couple more years of shee-it if success will come,  but if we aren't off the bottom by end of 2019 the natives will get very restless.

I agree, but as you can see, I think some of the natives are getting restless now.

Our women's team fell in a heap. Our 2's are ordinary. Our seniors likewise. The whole club is in some kind of malaise. How will sacking Bolton help ? (i'm not saying you endorse such a position btw.)

When Bolton talks about a reset, it's everything - board, women's, 2's, seniors, footy department, marketing etc. It's a massive, massive undertaking.

Reply #32
Make no mistake the reset is underway and already two years old.
Results should be starting to eventuate.
We can't keep saying..."Starting ...NOW!"

Reply #33
Make no mistake the reset is underway and already two years old.
Results should be starting to eventuate.
We can't keep saying..."Starting ...NOW!"

Yes, but lods, they're not eventuating. Not in the seniors, not in the 2's, not in the women's. Where to now ? Sack all coaches ? Tank, delist 20 players then ask for a Priority Pick ? Do we get Barassi out of his nursing home ? Do we try to lure Matthews, Parkin, Pagan out of retirement ? These tough old timers that don't mince words and will give these namby pamby millennials a bit of what for ?

Reply #34
I don't think that sacking Bolton would improve anything.   What we need to sort out is why blokes who can play footy are currently so out of form and why quality kids have stagnated in their development.  I also can't see how we can possibly have a strong senior side when the Northern blues are so awful.

Round six across three formats (men's,  women's etc) and we have collectively lost the last 15 games.   Losing is becoming ingrained and "normal".
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #35
Yes, but lods, they're not eventuating. Not in the seniors, not in the 2's, not in the women's. Where to now ? Sack all coaches ? Tank, delist 20 players then ask for a Priority Pick ? Do we get Barassi out of his nursing home ? Do we try to lure Matthews, Parkin, Pagan out of retirement ? These tough old timers that don't mince words and will give these namby pamby millennials a bit of what for ?

We desperately need a circuit breaker...a win or two.
It would make the world of difference.
If we don't get it expect the pressure to build.
It won't be terminal this year but if we don't get it we'll head into 2019 with a coaching group under siege. 

Reply #36
I don't think that sacking Bolton would improve anything.   What we need to sort out is why blokes who can play footy are currently so out of form and why quality kids have stagnated in their development. I also can't see how we can possibly have a strong senior side when the Northern blues are so awful.

Round six across three formats (men's,  women's etc) and we have collectively lost the last 15 games.   Losing is becoming ingrained and "normal".

THIS
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #37
I don't think that sacking Bolton would improve anything.   What we need to sort out is why blokes who can play footy are currently so out of form and why quality kids have stagnated in their development.  I also can't see how we can possibly have a strong senior side when the Northern blues are so awful.

Precisely why the Bolton Under Pressure thread is nonsense. The whole club (and I mean the whole club) is under pressure.

Reply #38
Precisely why the Bolton Under Pressure thread is nonsense. The whole club (and I mean the whole club) is under pressure.

The thread has a question mark attached to it.
It's valid to argue that he's not....and for the time being you would get a fair bit of agreement, even among the critics.

Reply #39
The thread has a question mark attached to it.
It's valid to argue that he's not....and for the time being you would get a fair bit of agreement, even among the critics.

I have less of an issue if fans get antsy - they can be easily spooked and need constant reassurance. That's fine.

If the club is spooked, then IMO, that's beyond absurd.

Reply #40
I have less of an issue if fans get antsy - they can be easily spooked and need constant reassurance. That's fine.

If the club is spooked, then IMO, that's beyond absurd.
The "old" Carlton would have pulled the trigger by now.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #41
Laj: Team selections are totally out of kilter with the modern game.

The modern game has been happening every year since footy was invented!  What is the modern game?  Depends on the team and opposition of the day.

What if we are in the midst of creating "the modern game" - a different style to everyone else that will win a flag.  IFF we had the full list in form, we are building a pretty good side, and there would probably be a fair bit of excitement and a few more wins on the board.  Our best 22 would still have Cas, Charlie, McKay as forwards with a couple of crumbers to keep the pressure on - Pickett, Garlett, Wright (egs only).

ATM, our worst enemy is our skill - dropped marks, handballs at the feet, fumbling balls in packs etc. and injuries - not making excuses, but we don't have any depth - we need our best 22 out there.

Reply #42
I've ditched the "reset/rebuild" lines for a "recreation", call me pedantic, but have a look at this team I threw together (Mrs Hanwell was being a bit noisey) at 3 am this morning and you should get the true extent of the exodus. As I stated earlier this is a ground up build and by definition will take four to five years.

This team contains one player who chose another team, one player who was under our nose at the Bullants and two who retired last year(*):

Rice*    Gowers    Laidler*
Toohey  Henderson  Lambert*
Buckley Gibbs  Bell
Yarren*  Waite  Betts
Hampson  Kennedy  Garlett
Jacobs  Grigg  Robinson

A little bit depressing at 3.18 am, I pray they know what they are doing because I don't think any other team (except GWS, second on the ladder!!!) could name a similar team. traded, or discarded away. Just look at the goal kickers we have ditched, no wonder we have not crossed the tonne for so long......
I was there, Blight missed!!!

Reply #43
Hanwell,

Sauce and Kennedy are very good players, Robbo and Gibbs would be handy around the clinches, and Betts is good goalsneak.

The rest are either on their last legs, or don't offer us anything we don't already have, or are just hacks or one trick ponies. Apart from those players I mentioned above, there's not one other player that I would lose sleep over.

Reply #44
Hanwell,

Sauce and Kennedy are very good players, Robbo and Gibbs would be handy around the clinches, and Betts is good goalsneak.

The rest are either on their last legs, or don't offer us anything we don't already have, or are just hacks or one trick ponies. Apart from those players I mentioned above, there's not one other player that I would lose sleep over.

I think the point Hanwell makes is they seem to be able to hold spots in teams further up the ladder and we had them on our list years earlier, I'll repeat that years earlier! And many currently on our list have shown nothing more or even les than many of those in Hanwell's team.

It's bit hard for fans to buy in when we've offload one bunch of apparently direction-less players, for another bunch of apparently direction-less players!

What you are basically accusing the club of when you make that statement is a form of stasis, we've been going nowhere at a phenomenal rate!

Are we on the rebuild to nowhere?
The Force Awakens!