Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 19 - Carlton vs Fremantle (Pre Contest Conundrums) (Read 54863 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 19 - Carlton vs Fremantle (Pre Contest Conundrums)

Reply #45
Are we going to hear about "boo-gate" this week when everyone gives Ballantyne a spray?  (Provided he plays of course)
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #46

If he wasn't asked to Ruck such a large portion of the game, it wouldn't be an issue. Warnock and Kreuzer rotating in the ruck and Casboult and Henderson up forward? Lacks a rotation, but you can always activate a midfielder as a sub if it becomes an issue.

Me thinks Big Nockers will come in to take on the Bohemoth.

Can't see either Rowe or Casboult having any impact against Sandilands & Clarke. And it would be nice to go into a game with a full array of key position players.

I like the idea, but it would be a change from how the team has been selected in recent weeks.

Reply #47
I think we've left our run too late for Finals personally. All the remaining games are season defining now and I feel we cannot keep winning week after week. If I have to pluck two games out it's Fremantle this week and Essendon as the games we must win if we're any chance. We have to beat Port over there as well although a win over Essendon and all our other games means we could drop it and still make it.

I ve done a conservative Ladder Predictor in which we lose to Freo and the Tigers, but can still sneak into 8th if we beat Port in Round 23.
This is because Port will drop games against Geelong at Symonds, and Freo at Subi.
I have done the not so conservative one and have us winning every game and playing Sydney in the GF.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #48

If he wasn't asked to Ruck such a large portion of the game, it wouldn't be an issue. Warnock and Kreuzer rotating in the ruck and Casboult and Henderson up forward? Lacks a rotation, but you can always activate a midfielder as a sub if it becomes an issue.

Can't see either Rowe or Casboult having any impact against Sandilands & Clarke. And it would be nice to go into a game with a full array of key position players.

I like the idea, but it would be a change from how the team has been selected in recent weeks.
Knockers cant go with Sandilands.  Too slight.  Would rather we go with a combination of Kreuzer, Casboult and Rowe.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #49
Are we going to hear about "boo-gate" this week when everyone gives Ballantyne a spray?  (Provided he plays of course)

Pretty sure Ballantyne was a three week hamstring, the third being this week.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #50
Everyone is too slight for Sandilands... he's 120 kgs!

Reply #51

Knockers cant go with Sandilands.  Too slight.  Would rather we go with a combination of Kreuzer, Casboult and Rowe.
206 torched him at Paterson Stadium in 2011
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #52
We have some players in the best form of their careers- Simmo, Tuohy, Walker, Hendo. Yet we have a midfield that really has been an achilles heal against the good sides this year. Murphy, Judd, Carrazzo- our offensive midfilders have been ordinary. Gibbs was good early, but he is just 'another player' in our side. Gibbs has not even got close to his 3rd season in terms of SC points and is currently averaging 11% lower than his 2009 season. His SC points have slipped consistently and his output is no different to his output last year. His first game of the year has been his best, and has not even got close to those SC points since. ie. he showed us what he can do in that game, but like his whole career, he has not delivered it consistently in 2013.

At Etihad, without Pavlich, we are 4 goals closer, but we really cannot carry the passengers that we had against the Suns. Our bottom 3 players had less SuperCoach points than the Suns worst performer. That in a 7 goal win is pretty poor (The bottom 2, Rowe and Lucas, played all or a significant part of the game). Judd's decline is interesting. Last year, his average SC points dropped by 10% from the year before and this year it has dropped a further 5%. We all know that SC points are not an exact science, but I think this analysis reflects what we are all seeing from him. Three games ago, judd was superb- but in terms of SC points, it was an anomally, 15% higher than his previous best this year and 37% better than his average. To put that into persective, he had four higher scores than that game (saints) last year, 5 better games in 2011 and 7 better games in 2010. An indication that the best of Judd is far behind and we can only really expect one other 'vintage' Judd game this year.

Murphy is an interesting one. He is 20% down on his output last year, and surprisingly, he actually came back better after the Dangerfield bump (based on SC points). However, his last 2 games against GC and St Kilda last year were well down and that form (average SC) has continued into this year. Murphy has only scored SC points that matched his average last year against Essendon, Port Adelaide, Melbourne and Geelong. He has scored his lowest scores of his career this season against the Saints and and Collingwood. Even worse than his first year.

Robbo is another, 15% down on last year. Ed is up about 8%, but is a defensive midfielder. Brock is down almost 20% too. So all in all, our midfielders are down by an average of 10-15%.

What this all means is that we can not rely on Judd anymore and for some reason, our other gun midfielder is struggling. We need Judd to meet his average (100 SC is still a good output), but we clearly need Murphy to up his output by 20% this week. What it also shows, is that we probably need to start introducing more offensive midfielders who are going to rack up some possessions. Bell and Graham have not collected less than 30 possessions in the last 4 games that they have played in the VFL. These are the types of players that we require now. We need our hands on the pill in the middle, not simply limiting the opposition's midfielders.

Bell and/or Graham need to come in this week.

Reply #53
IMO Rowe must be dropped.. He was terrible against GC and not much better the week before.. 
I'd be bringing in Casboult or Warnock for him.. preferably Casboult..

Also Graham needs to come in.. Great form must be rewarded..

Watson looks sooooo sloooow.. He does some good things but im still not convinced.. His pace is just awful.

The only suggestion I can think of keeping Rowe in, is if Waite/Casboult comes in, then Rowe goes down back and tried there, and Watson gets dropped..

I dont think this will happen though..

Its hard trying to fit everyone in now.. There will be some good players not playing seniors..  

Reply #54

Wasn't that back when Sandilands was suffering turf toe, even so I think at best he broke even?

Maybe you mean another year, but I think Sandilands has been close to BOG in 4 of our last six encounters! So perhaps a break even is a win!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #55

What's the big deal?

The big deal is Fremantle and Essendon are the toughest games of us in this run. If we want to play Finals these are the games we have to win.

Freo - over rated big time..... won't be easy but very very beatable.

We can beat them but it won't be easy.

Doggies - again. let's see if MM has actually put some ticker into our troops - should be a 8 goal win ++ .....

We have to beat sides like this if we're serious about moving into the upper echelon of teams. Not sure I agree with 8 goals but I think 3-5 more likely.

Tigers? Meh, at best. We owe them a belting.

Tigers are much better than the side from earlier in the year and we're still not clicking yet. I think it will be closer than many think.

Essendon will likely be post penalty or not fielding a team by that week?

And if they do field a side? They'll win because they are currently better than we are and shouldn't be. We have to beat them if we want to improve and this is the major season defining game in my view.

Port in Adelaide - i think they'll lose to the Crows next week, then smashed by the Cats at Skilled, then GC (not easy) then Freo in Perth another belting..... they'll be damaged goods come Rd 23.

You may be right although we still may have to play off over there for a spot in the eight and it will be out of us and them.

Reply #56
We have some players in the best form of their careers- Simmo, Tuohy, Walker, Hendo. Yet we have a midfield that really has been an achilles heal against the good sides this year. Murphy, Judd, Carrazzo- our offensive midfilders have been ordinary. Gibbs was good early, but he is just 'another player' in our side. Gibbs has not even got close to his 3rd season in terms of SC points and is currently averaging 11% lower than his 2009 season. His SC points have slipped consistently and his output is no different to his output last year. His first game of the year has been his best, and has not even got close to those SC points since. ie. he showed us what he can do in that game, but like his whole career, he has not delivered it consistently in 2013.

At Etihad, without Pavlich, we are 4 goals closer, but we really cannot carry the passengers that we had against the Suns. Our bottom 3 players had less SuperCoach points than the Suns worst performer. That in a 7 goal win is pretty poor (The bottom 2, Rowe and Lucas, played all or a significant part of the game). Judd's decline is interesting. Last year, his average SC points dropped by 10% from the year before and this year it has dropped a further 5%. We all know that SC points are not an exact science, but I think this analysis reflects what we are all seeing from him. Three games ago, judd was superb- but in terms of SC points, it was an anomally, 15% higher than his previous best this year and 37% better than his average. To put that into persective, he had four higher scores than that game (saints) last year, 5 better games in 2011 and 7 better games in 2010. An indication that the best of Judd is far behind and we can only really expect one other 'vintage' Judd game this year.

Murphy is an interesting one. He is 20% down on his output last year, and surprisingly, he actually came back better after the Dangerfield bump (based on SC points). However, his last 2 games against GC and St Kilda last year were well down and that form (average SC) has continued into this year. Murphy has only scored SC points that matched his average last year against Essendon, Port Adelaide, Melbourne and Geelong. He has scored his lowest scores of his career this season against the Saints and and Collingwood. Even worse than his first year.

Robbo is another, 15% down on last year. Ed is up about 8%, but is a defensive midfielder. Brock is down almost 20% too. So all in all, our midfielders are down by an average of 10-15%.

What this all means is that we can not rely on Judd anymore and for some reason, our other gun midfielder is struggling. We need Judd to meet his average (100 SC is still a good output), but we clearly need Murphy to up his output by 20% this week. What it also shows, is that we probably need to start introducing more offensive midfielders who are going to rack up some possessions. Bell and Graham have not collected less than 30 possessions in the last 4 games that they have played in the VFL. These are the types of players that we require now. We need our hands on the pill in the middle, not simply limiting the opposition's midfielders.

Bell and/or Graham need to come in this week.

Good post...I'd like the bigger frame of Bell in the team, reckon Graham could wait for an easier game to debut in.

Reply #57

Freo have an ordinary record of winning clearances when Sandilands plays. Opposition clubs just simply rove to him. We may as well do the same. No point bringing in Warnock for the sake of a few tapouts. Go for blokes that can take a few marks

Reply #58
@laj
Tend to agree. I think Warnock would only come in now if Kreuz and/or several of our other tall options were injured.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #59

Wasn't that back when Sandilands was suffering turf toe, even so I think at best he broke even?

Maybe you mean another year, but I think Sandilands has been close to BOG in 4 of our last six encounters! So perhaps a break even is a win!
No it was 2011, I went went over for the game, Robbie played very well more than matched it with Lurch. In fact, I gave Robbie the points and thought he was instrumental in our win that day.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th