Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 19 - Carlton vs Fremantle (Pre Contest Conundrums) (Read 54835 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 19 - Carlton vs Fremantle (Pre Contest Conundrums)

Reply #60
Injury prone this season, older body finding it a little harder to pick up the tempo. I watched the replay this arvo, he made one terrible error and was beaten one on one in a contest you would've backed him to win. He also did some very nice things. Far from awful as some mentioned but he's nowhere near his best, hopefully it all clicks for him soon.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #61
206 torched him at Paterson Stadium in 2011

Wasn't that back when Sandilands was suffering turf toe, even so I think at best he broke even?

Maybe you mean another year, but I think Sandilands has been close to BOG in 4 of our last six encounters! So perhaps a break even is a win!
No it was 2011, I went went over for the game, Robbie played very well more than matched it with Lurch. In fact, I gave Robbie the points and thought he was instrumental in our win that day.

Warnock smacked everyone in 2011. Had a good year.

Reply #62
We have some players in the best form of their careers- Simmo, Tuohy, Walker, Hendo. Yet we have a midfield that really has been an achilles heal against the good sides this year. Murphy, Judd, Carrazzo- our offensive midfilders have been ordinary. Gibbs was good early, but he is just 'another player' in our side. Gibbs has not even got close to his 3rd season in terms of SC points and is currently averaging 11% lower than his 2009 season. His SC points have slipped consistently and his output is no different to his output last year. His first game of the year has been his best, and has not even got close to those SC points since. ie. he showed us what he can do in that game, but like his whole career, he has not delivered it consistently in 2013.

At Etihad, without Pavlich, we are 4 goals closer, but we really cannot carry the passengers that we had against the Suns. Our bottom 3 players had less SuperCoach points than the Suns worst performer. That in a 7 goal win is pretty poor (The bottom 2, Rowe and Lucas, played all or a significant part of the game). Judd's decline is interesting. Last year, his average SC points dropped by 10% from the year before and this year it has dropped a further 5%. We all know that SC points are not an exact science, but I think this analysis reflects what we are all seeing from him. Three games ago, judd was superb- but in terms of SC points, it was an anomally, 15% higher than his previous best this year and 37% better than his average. To put that into persective, he had four higher scores than that game (saints) last year, 5 better games in 2011 and 7 better games in 2010. An indication that the best of Judd is far behind and we can only really expect one other 'vintage' Judd game this year.

Murphy is an interesting one. He is 20% down on his output last year, and surprisingly, he actually came back better after the Dangerfield bump (based on SC points). However, his last 2 games against GC and St Kilda last year were well down and that form (average SC) has continued into this year. Murphy has only scored SC points that matched his average last year against Essendon, Port Adelaide, Melbourne and Geelong. He has scored his lowest scores of his career this season against the Saints and and Collingwood. Even worse than his first year.

Robbo is another, 15% down on last year. Ed is up about 8%, but is a defensive midfielder. Brock is down almost 20% too. So all in all, our midfielders are down by an average of 10-15%.

What this all means is that we can not rely on Judd anymore and for some reason, our other gun midfielder is struggling. We need Judd to meet his average (100 SC is still a good output), but we clearly need Murphy to up his output by 20% this week. What it also shows, is that we probably need to start introducing more offensive midfielders who are going to rack up some possessions. Bell and Graham have not collected less than 30 possessions in the last 4 games that they have played in the VFL. These are the types of players that we require now. We need our hands on the pill in the middle, not simply limiting the opposition's midfielders.

Bell and/or Graham need to come in this week.

Good post...I'd like the bigger frame of Bell in the team, reckon Graham could wait for an easier game to debut in.

Agree... good post and we need bigger, stronger bodies against the D1ckers, but let's not sacrifice our speed... this mob will be worried by our speed. Dinger and Casboult in. Rowe out and ? out.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #63
We should not be aiming to make the 8, we should be aiming to take 6th from the Tiggers.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #64
We should not be aiming to make the 8, we should be aiming to take 6th from the Tiggers.

We should be focusing solely on winning every game from here on. Nothing less.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #65
I have the view that Dinger is all bash and crash with too little sophistication.
I love Rowe,  I would have him as CHB in the Northern Blues.  That is where we may need him. I have serious doubts that Watson can stand up against serious opposition. With Hendo needed up forward, we need a competitive tall CHB
I would bring LeviC back in. He is a seriously good clunker in the marking duels.
A little weak in the ruck, but he has the potential to nullify good ruckmen.   
I would fit Nick Graham into next week's team.  We run with good stoppers in Carrazzo, Curnow and Carcia but we need dashers as well.  Nick is ready for a game and time for giving a new guy a run is almost at an end.

Reply #66
I will bet money that either Bell or Graham comes in this week. I doubt both will against Freo. Bell is the hardened body, graham may get a chance against the bulldogs.

carrazzo will get one more. Robbo or Lucas will go. I suspect Robbo. I know Robbo is a hard nut, but he doesn't get enough of it to worry oppositions. The hit on ablett was the first I can remember that didn't result in robbo getting concussion. Oppositions just don't respect him. Bell obviously can find the ball, so he will hurt opposition midfielders physically, more often.... Maybe just not as spectacularly. Rowe will find it very difficult to hold his place based on last week. Levi has been outing his hand up each week in the VFL. Could hendo Rowe and cas play up there? Risky but with Waite unlikely to be back anytime soon, then maybe. Especially if we can sub one of them early if required.

Reply #67
I would bring LeviC back in. He is a seriously good clunker in the marking duels.

But precious littl;e point being a seriously good clunker if you can't finish on the scoreboard...... Levi remains a WIP granted.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #68
I will bet money that either Bell or Graham comes in this week. I doubt both will against Freo. Bell is the hardened body, graham may get a chance against the bulldogs.

I've mentioned this before somewhere, Bell doesn't seem to be MM's fav and has hardly set the world alight in the chances he's been given. I reckon we give Graham a shot for sure but I can't see him getting a game ahead of Lucas or Robbo. He may need to wait for an injury to have his turn.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #69
206 torched him at Paterson Stadium in 2011

Wasn't that back when Sandilands was suffering turf toe, even so I think at best he broke even?

Maybe you mean another year, but I think Sandilands has been close to BOG in 4 of our last six encounters! So perhaps a break even is a win!
No it was 2011, I went went over for the game, Robbie played very well more than matched it with Lurch. In fact, I gave Robbie the points and thought he was instrumental in our win that day.

Warnock smacked everyone in 2011. Had a good year.

It is amazing how the mind can play tricks and also the effects of Navy Blue goggles!

GTC, are you sure you voted you can check HERE

Warnock only got a single vote on our site, Rnd 21 2011 and wasn't listed in the media archives I can find, Sandilands was listed by some media among Freos best even though they lost!

As for 206, he did have a good 2011 but not against Sandilands.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #70
Interesting to hear Cam Mooney saying that they always were told when playing against Carlton that if you beat them in one-on-one contests, their mids won't run back into defence with much vigour.  That's an area he says MM is working on, but it is still an issue.  More specifically on Bryce Gibbs, he notes that he has to get far more ball on his own. 

Reply #71
Interesting to hear Cam Mooney saying that they always were told when playing against Carlton that if you beat them in one-on-one contests, their mids won't run back into defence with much vigour.  That's an area he says MM is working on, but it is still an issue.  More specifically on Bryce Gibbs, he notes that he has to get far more ball on his own.

Not sure that I agree with that Mav; Malthouse seems to be using Gibbs more in a defensive, shut down role. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #72

Not sure that I agree with that Mav; Malthouse seems to be using Gibbs more in a defensive, shut down role. 

I know I saw someone suggest Gibbs on Mayne this week and sort of shook my head (not at the poster) at the fact that our number one draft pick full of skill and class but with little or no heart has been developed into a run with player.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #73

I've mentioned this before somewhere, Bell doesn't seem to be MM's fav and has hardly set the world alight in the chances he's been given. I reckon we give Graham a shot for sure but I can't see him getting a game ahead of Lucas or Robbo. He may need to wait for an injury to have his turn.

Malthouse singled Bell out for his performance on Sunday and, unless he's laying a smokescreen, I expect Bell will be in the 22 for the Freo game.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #74
Replacing who DJC?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!