Skip to main content
Topic: 2024 Practice Match Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 3317 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2024 Practice Match Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #105
I don't think Boyd will get plenty of games as his off the ball game has been woeful past two weeks.

Maybe he is out of form or his ceiling is reached - if his ceiling is reached then he is deadwood and need to give youngsters a game instead with a higher ceiling. He is good with ball in hand but geez he needs to be better off the ball.

Reply #106
BTW our mids did our backs no favours at all - they were obliterated to such a level that it was inexcusable. Hopefully its blowing out cobwebs. If we bring that game next week - then the players better buy some shares in Vaseline because they will need plenty of it.

Reply #107
My biggest concern with the pre season games is that I don’t think Acres had an OOB with his first disposal in either game…
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #109
My biggest concern with the pre season games is that I don’t think Acres had an OOB with his first disposal in either game…

In both games I found myself thinking "Acres has got it again, surely he's got to shank this kick!"
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #110
I guess the biggest issue with our pre season form is that we seem to be playing like we were at the start of last season rather than the end…
All I know is that the GoDees had everything to play for, we beat them last preseason and killed their premiership dreams, have no illusions, this game meant more to them than us.
Every team has had 6 months to pull apart what we did well last year and they WILL apply the blowtorch to us.
Will we live up to the expectations that some have for us ?
I hope so but I doubt it.
I think making finals again will be success, once in the finals we can be allowed to dream but I think most can see that the next month or two without Weiters will be tricky.
Young doesn’t seem to have it and big Durds is coming back off injury.
Only in the wet dreams of some do we make a prelim in 2023 and push further in 24, more likely that we’ll slide and need to regroup.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #111
https://www.theroar.com.au/afl/video/absolute-shocker-harry-mckay-outdoes-himself-as-set-shot-from-directly-in-front-goes-25-metres-off-target-1335272/

Farken how? Explain to me how? How many shots has he had from the position at the ground? How?
From the Age, at least they are trying to fix it.
This step is a reason why McKay has hated watching vision of himself kicking, and may also explain why Blues fans are filled with trepidation when he lines up for goal. McKay believes this is the primary cause of his yips.
“I’ve got a little step just before I kick, which I’d always known I had, and I really hated watching myself kick because I knew I had a little step.

“With the data, you could see your momentum would build up, and then I’d take a little step and all your momentum would drop, and you’d try and chase it again.

“I’ve been doing that since I was basically a kid. Over the summer, I’ve been trying to undo that because it was killing my momentum.

“The consistency of your kick would be up and down depending on that step.”

The fault in his action was evident against Melbourne when he almost missed his boot with his ball drop and sprayed his shot out on the full from about 40 metres out directly in front.
“You try and get all that momentum you lost in the last step, your body twists, your leg comes across and you do all these things in order to get the momentum back you just lost,” McKay said.

McKay has also flushed several shots in the practice games, a sign the training he has put in over summer to eliminate the short step is working.
But he warned it would take time to drop a habit he has had since childhood. He will not turn into former sharpshooter Matthew Lloyd overnight, but he and the Blues forwards coach Ash Hansen are confident the changes he has made will hold him in good stead for the rest of his career.

Reply #112
Anyone else notice that H kicked through the aggott when shooting for goal against the Go Dees, regardless of distance from goal?

I recall quite vividly, and perhaps this is an obtuse correlation, during my martial arts training in the Navy (back in the 1800's  ;D ) having it explained by the instructor that as he was about to chop his fist through a bunch of roofing tiles, that he aimed and focussed his attention, intention and vision about six inches below the tiles. A lesson that has served me well in life. So I wonder if H perhaps focussed on something well beyond the goal posts and ignored the posts, then sought to kick the pill 60 metres, regardless (of distance from goal).

The fluffed shot, which went out on the full, I actually put down to the swirling wind effecting the ball drop, as also happened with a number of usually reliable shots on goal blokes from the Go Dees?
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #113
That was his best game for us and by some margin. But it is a one off at this stage.

Remember Nick Duigan being the finals hero against the tigers?
Next week against Sydney he was average.
He never played again.

So be careful about '1 good game'.

Go back and watch some of his efforts last year and there was a lot of under (a little bit of) pressure moments where he simply folded. There was a lot of similarities between him and LOB. The latter also had some positive moments, but they were the exception rather than the rule.

Best thing going for Boyd is that he is one of the only blokes on our list who can play on a small forward in a lockdown role. Other blokes like Saad, Docherty, Williams, even Newman are better off as attacking players rather than lock down players.

I'm happy for him to keep proving me wrong. I'm not changing my tune after 1 game and 1 pre-season game.

Now, K, old son, surely you're taking the mickey comparing Boyd to LOB? Boyd puts his body on the line (fearless), has some agro and if anything can be too zealous with his attack on opponent and aggott. I admit, I like his game and especially his attitude. Plus it must be remembered, regardless of his age, he's only played sixteen games as a senior player! A work in progress and definitely improving.

Reply #114
On reflection, the thing I noticed missing from both our preseason hitouts was hunting.

We will be hunted this year, with oppositions putting enormous time and effort into dismantling us.

Not a fan of the word 'hunger'... if you aint hungry at this level, you don't belong on an AFL list. Huge fan of a hunting mind set and focus - with a mongrel, ruthless persistence to hunt, you're a formidable opponent. It's very uncompromising. You can build a lot around being a relentless hunter.

Reply #115
Plus it must be remembered, regardless of his age, he's only played sixteen games as a senior player! A work in progress and definitely improving.
Yep, there is clearly something there to work with, in the absence of the brute strength brick craphouse build Boyd's current game style is reminding me of a young Des English.

Early on Des would shank kicks, was always a great intercept but not terrific at hitting targets, he would unload a lot of 60m kicks to nobody or OTF but could lock down anybody. By his 3rd season Des became ultra reliable ball user. For me this ~50 game mark is when the panic subsides and players become more composed, it makes a difference.

It's interesting, because current fan criticisms on Boyd are not dissimilar to the early career criticisms of Saad, I suspect it's part of the small defender role, being judged by your errors rather than successes.

Finally, some players wear more of or all of the sh!zen jobs from the coach, the last line stuff, the minding three opponents stuff while your team mates charge off up the field, fans rarely take that into account when judging a player. That role isn't about winning every contest, it's about minimising the losses.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #116
We lost to Sydney by 43 points in the equivalent practice match last year.

With Vossy leaving the coaching to Ash Hansen, I’m not sure that there’s much we can learn about how we’ll play in opening round and beyond.

The usual suspects in the midfield showed that they’ll be a force again, and Chugga’s return in the VFL was promising.  I was disappointed in Lij Hollands’ performance but Binns was good in his limited time on the ground.

Pitto struggled against Gawn.  While that’s not unexpected, the big fella seems to be labouring and I doubt whether he’ll be ready for opening round.  However, we seem to have found a promising young ruckman in Harry McKay.

Our forward line wasn’t as potent after Motlop went off.  Fantasia showed that he’ll be a depth player and we really need Martin and Owies/Durdin in the mix.

The defence was under the pump from lack of pressure up the ground but I thought that Kemp and Young were much better than last game.  Gov had a game to forget but, hopefully, that will be a one off.  We really miss Weitering’s leadership and ability to beat his opponent, whoever that may be.  His absence makes it a lot harder for the remaining defenders.

Zac Williams got through his practice match, as did Sam Durdin.  Williams has to be a chance to play against Brisbane but I think we’ll go with Young and Kemp as our key defenders. 

At the other end of the ground, Charlie seems to be building for another big season.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #117
That was his best game for us and by some margin. But it is a one off at this stage.

Remember Nick Duigan being the finals hero against the tigers?
Next week against Sydney he was average.
He never played again.

So be careful about '1 good game'.

Go back and watch some of his efforts last year and there was a lot of under (a little bit of) pressure moments where he simply folded. There was a lot of similarities between him and LOB. The latter also had some positive moments, but they were the exception rather than the rule.

Best thing going for Boyd is that he is one of the only blokes on our list who can play on a small forward in a lockdown role. Other blokes like Saad, Docherty, Williams, even Newman are better off as attacking players rather than lock down players.

I'm happy for him to keep proving me wrong. I'm not changing my tune after 1 game and 1 pre-season game.

Omg he has played 9-10 games. You wrote him off after he made some turnovers in his first game and its like you wont dare admit you may have gone a tad early.

You were adamant your opinion on Young being useless was all confirmed in the first practice match yet in Boyds case lets not read much into it cause its just a practice match.

Am i missing something.

Reply #118
Now, K, old son, surely you're taking the mickey comparing Boyd to LOB? Boyd puts his body on the line (fearless), has some agro and if anything can be too zealous with his attack on opponent and aggott. I admit, I like his game and especially his attitude. Plus it must be remembered, regardless of his age, he's only played sixteen games as a senior player! A work in progress and definitely improving.

LOB did have some good games as well. He even showed a bit of agro in some. I think it was a game against the pies where he gave a solid 'don't argue' to the tackler and put him on his butt and kept on his way. His kicking was also something to behold.....when he didn't get overwhelmed by pressure.

Lods says "you're only as good as your last game." and its a saying oft told. However, there are contradictory sayings as well.
Things are never as good, or as bad, as they seem.
Which can be used for warning people off using recent form as a predictor for long term form. That is, just because you played well last game (or poorly) doesn't mean that you will play that well (or poorly) in every game.

Ultimately, i prefer to NOT use the most recent game to make judgements, but seek more data. There are exceptions though. You don't need more than 1 game to realise Eddie Betts is not a ruckman. Some players have (or don't have) certain attributes, be that physical or mental and that is evident without a form line.

I remember back in the day watching Bryce Gibbs in an U18's game. It was evident from the half a match i watched that he had 'time', poise, vision. Some things you can see straight away. In Boyds case, it was the opposite. He had none of those things. He's not the only one. Other players have made it without those attributes in the past and others will in the future....but if i were placing bets on chances of players making it without those attributes, you would always bet against them for the best odds.
Maybe Boyd is the exception. Maybe his early games were the exception.

Im not the only one that had the same conclusions.

I've got no allegiance for or against him, or pittonet, or tdk or silvagni or anyone else people accuse me of having bias for/against. My interests are always for whats best for the team, the list, and the club. At the end of the day, i don't give a stuff which players get us the 17th flag, just that we get it. If i trod on a few players feelings (and posters feelings who they are favourites of) then so be it.

Reply #119
LOB did have some good games as well. He even showed a bit of agro in some. I think it was a game against the pies where he gave a solid 'don't argue' to the tackler and put him on his butt and kept on his way. His kicking was also something to behold.....when he didn't get overwhelmed by pressure.

Lods says "you're only as good as your last game." and its a saying oft told. However, there are contradictory sayings as well.
Things are never as good, or as bad, as they seem.
Which can be used for warning people off using recent form as a predictor for long term form. That is, just because you played well last game (or poorly) doesn't mean that you will play that well (or poorly) in every game.

Ultimately, i prefer to NOT use the most recent game to make judgements, but seek more data. There are exceptions though. You don't need more than 1 game to realise Eddie Betts is not a ruckman. Some players have (or don't have) certain attributes, be that physical or mental and that is evident without a form line.

I remember back in the day watching Bryce Gibbs in an U18's game. It was evident from the half a match i watched that he had 'time', poise, vision. Some things you can see straight away. In Boyds case, it was the opposite. He had none of those things. He's not the only one. Other players have made it without those attributes in the past and others will in the future....but if i were placing bets on chances of players making it without those attributes, you would always bet against them for the best odds.
Maybe Boyd is the exception. Maybe his early games were the exception.

Im not the only one that had the same conclusions.

I've got no allegiance for or against him, or pittonet, or tdk or silvagni or anyone else people accuse me of having bias for/against. My interests are always for whats best for the team, the list, and the club. At the end of the day, i don't give a stuff which players get us the 17th flag, just that we get it. If i trod on a few players feelings (and posters feelings who they are favourites of) then so be it.

I don't actually believe that "you're only as good as your last game"
It's a footy cliche "like one week at a time."
I look for a body of work.
Sometimes a positive aspect, although identifiable, takes a while to show itself under the pressure and intensity of AFL.
But good 'last games' and recent form is what gets you a spot in a side and a chance to show what you can do.
If Boyd stagnates or goes off the boil he will drop back in the pecking order

I just wonder though...when we go with an initial judgement like
"I wrote him off after 1 game."

Do we resist, to some extent, what comes after and push back against the positives as the player develops and gets confidence at a senior level