Skip to main content
Topic: JLT 2018 - Carlton v Hawthorn (Sat 10th Feb) (Read 36511 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: JLT 2018 - Carlton v Hawthorn (Sat 10th Feb)

Reply #180
btw., I've noticed that Cam Bruce is taking a lot of responsibility in the JLT, is this just a JLT thing or is this Bolton looking at his own weaknesses(Perceived by some to be match day tactics!) and delegating blokes like Bruce and Barker to step up!

If it is then kudos to BB, it's really the way Parkin managed himself and it's proven to work very well. It's a far better option than trying to run an autocracy, not mentioning any names!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #181
btw., I've noticed that Cam Bruce is taking a lot of responsibility in the JLT, is this just a JLT thing or is this Bolton looking at his own weaknesses(Perceived by some to be match day tactics!) and delegating blokes like Bruce and Barker to step up!

If it is then kudos to BB, it's really the way Parkin managed himself and it's proven to work very well. It's a far better option than trying to run an autocracy, not mentioning any names!

I think this is what Clarkson does.

Reply #182
I think we've only ever needed one tagger, it was the lack of freedom from certain coach that destroyed player flair and confidence!

Like I've written before a game plan that primarily states, Stop Him, Stop Him, Stop Him, Stop Him, Stop Him, Stop Him and Stop Him is a dead set loss!

If your statement is true, then something changed from 2011 to 2013-14, because in 2011 the Pies lost 2 games, kicked nearly 2600 points for, and a 167.66%. That's off the charts, and shows he wasn't all defence. I loved watching the Pies that season. Credit where it's due.

Reply #183
Kennedy allows Cripps to play forward which is going to win us some games....Fisher too has picked up some of the slack from Gibbs...reckon Gibbs did us a favour going and we
will be much better for it as more players run through the middle....you add Samo and Dow and its a better mix.
Murphy's role has also been reduced and the old way of doing things in the midfield and relying on him and Gibbs plus Cripps only is over, we can be more attacking and only need
the one tagger in Ed Curnow...

That thought has crossed my mind EB but I guess it remains to be seen. I agree that the old era is now well and truly over. I'm very much looking forward to a new and more dynamic approach and I think being able to establish an advantage and hold on to it will be a feature. We will play with periods of lock down based on our good defence and try to strangle/spoil the opposition, alternating with periods of swift attacking footy based on quick and accurate ball movement. I don't think we will see the all-out style of the Doggies in their flag year or the helter skelter style of Freo of a few years ago. Much more measured and calculated.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #185
I think one fact we can all agree with is that Clarkson would have been filthy losing that game, especially after leading by 4 goals at one point in the 3rd quarter.

:) :) :)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #186
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/carlton-claim-another-pre-season-scalp-20180310-p4z3sw.html

Thomas best, laughable....
Certainly not when you look at the number of possessions he had over the game. He appears to have been the spark, but BOG is something of a stretch.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #187
just off track...

still cant believe Richmond are premiers.

Three years ago this time, we'd be laughing at them.

I miss those days
You are not alone. Hopefully we can laugh after Round #1. That would make things somewhat closer to being right.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #188
You wish! ;D

Don't get me wrong we looked OK, but it's wildly optimistic to think the Dawks midfield went hard for four quarters.
They wanted to win badly enough. We wanted to win more. I'm happy enough with that.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #189
The three stand out observations for me from last night were

(1) Kennedy - I think this guy is going to be an absolute ripper.  Reminds me of Trent Cotchin and Dylan Shiel.  And with the 7  on his back, almost a reincarnation of Brett Ratten.

(2) Pickett - hopefully he will learn to be a bit more present, but his ability to run and carry take me back to the days of Vinnie Catoggio!   He will make plenty of opposition fans very nervous (and sometimes his teammates....).  Pretty good overhead for a guy his size as well, so he may well inherit the mantle of Eddie Mk 2.  Can't wait to see tandem work with Garlett.

(3) Weiters - ready to reclaim his role as a rock solid defender.  Stop swinging him all over the place until he is right on top of his game.  It's easy to forget he has only played 42 games, and most good judges say newbies (especially bigger guys) don't really know how to play the game until they have at least 50 under their belt.

If we play our cards right, in a couple of seasons we will have a hard core of 22-24 year olds ready to take the competition to pieces.  Think Brisbane in the early 2000s......
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #190
I think we've only ever needed one tagger, it was the lack of freedom from certain coach that destroyed player flair and confidence!

Like I've written before a game plan that primarily states, Stop Him, Stop Him, Stop Him, Stop Him, Stop Him, Stop Him and Stop Him is a dead set loss!
I can't agree with you on this, LP. Having and tagger is necessary, but having a 2nd option is always useful.
Last year, when Ed Curnow was out, Kerridge came into the side and did a negative role, and managed to get a lot of the ball as well. He had some tremendous games late in the season in that role.
At the moment he is off the pace in the 2's, but that will probably change in a week or 2.
I don't know if he can do the job full time, but having the option is a really good thing for us.
Also Polson was used in a negative role late last season. With his pace he could be very good doing that in the future.

Why do I bring these guys up?
Two reasons. Having one tagger is fraught with danger - a point source error. If that tagger gets beaten badly, we have no backup.
Secondly, some teams have 2 guys that simply need to be picked up and squashed.
I don't think we can afford 2 players who contribute nothing going forward, but the ability to stifle the oppositions best players (something we have been poor at in recent times) can be the difference between victory and defeat.

It is good having Ed Curnow back. He is our best tagger at the moment and he has been getting reasonable stats himself. However, we miss a guy a Carrazzo, who not only kept guys out of the play, but who also provided a heap of drive themselves. Guys like Carrots do not come along all that often.

When we have the best midfield in the competition and guys look to tag our guys out of the game and can't, because WE have too many options, then we can afford to go light on the tagging.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #191
Should have, could have....DIDN'T.

Learning to win when you have dirty days is all part of the curve....

X3

Many roads lead to Rome. Staying on route or finding and adjusting to a new and effective one is what needs championing. We've seen this again and again, commonly referred to as being outcoached.

From what I've seen of the BB Way, I suggest it revolves around flexibility.
Whilst turning over the list, he's established defensive modes. Smart. We were for the most part spared of the 100 point slaughtering. Now as the list is close to complete, he's establishing offensive modes. I have no doubt there's multiple options which will respond to the foreseeable challenges of any given opposition. That's not to say we'll be able to execute any/all options at this stage. My guess is, that's what we're working towards. Flexibility with robust core strengths if you will.

Let's take one of our most maligned players in Levi. Using last night as a sample, he was able to adapt quickly and offer a robust (much improved ruck skill) alternate when Kruez went down. As dominant as Kruez was, with time, we adjusted and ground it out. Bugger me we had an 8 goal quarter and a total of 11 goalkickers. We were playing without our only 2 AA players for goodness sake, and our young group were challenged playing interstate.  Who'd have thought that was possible. 
Was the Master cleverly outcoach by his Emissary  O:-)
Note to The Master: bad goal kicking is bad football.

Yes, it's only JLT. But... IF our performance in JLT 1 AND 2 reflect the development of this young group, The BB Way is the right way ^-^
Looks to me like our rebuild is nearly complete in terms of structures and processes. It now needs time for the players to grow together and consolidate their individual foundations (strength weakness). If they can integrate individual strength flexibly into a team first mode - anything is possible in the years to come.

Go new Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #192
I can't agree with you on this, LP. Having and tagger is necessary, but having a 2nd option is always useful.
Last year, when Ed Curnow was out, Kerridge came into the side and did a negative role, and managed to get a lot of the ball as well. He had some tremendous games late in the season in that role.
At the moment he is off the pace in the 2's, but that will probably change in a week or 2.
I don't know if he can do the job full time, but having the option is a really good thing for us.
Also Polson was used in a negative role late last season. With his pace he could be very good doing that in the future.

Why do I bring these guys up?
Two reasons. Having one tagger is fraught with danger - a point source error. If that tagger gets beaten badly, we have no backup.
Secondly, some teams have 2 guys that simply need to be picked up and squashed.
I don't think we can afford 2 players who contribute nothing going forward, but the ability to stifle the oppositions best players (something we have been poor at in recent times) can be the difference between victory and defeat.

It is good having Ed Curnow back. He is our best tagger at the moment and he has been getting reasonable stats himself. However, we miss a guy a Carrazzo, who not only kept guys out of the play, but who also provided a heap of drive themselves. Guys like Carrots do not come along all that often.

When we have the best midfield in the competition and guys look to tag our guys out of the game and can't, because WE have too many options, then we can afford to go light on the tagging.

I think our point of difference is how many players who can tag versus how many are in tagging roles at any one moment!

I expect in the team on the day we can have multiple players capable of tagging, but I think having one actually doing some tagging is enough to disrupt most opposition clubs, and having more than one player tagging just hurts your own team by making it's game play one dimensional.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #193
Getting sick of Huddo's calling, he's becoming more anti-Carlton by the day.

Pretty much every time we scored it was about some poor Dawks mistake, he called the whole game from a Dawks perspective which is odd for a Geelong supporter!

Never mentioned for the entire game was the fact that we beat them comfortably late last year with Cripps / Curnow / etc out. Didn't rate a mention by any commentator that I heard. Didn't fit with the ongoing storyline that Carlton are 5hit.

Reply #194
Great to see us leaving more players up in the forward line... and straight away kicking bigger scores.