For the rest of the season should we

Play the kids
[ 15 ] (55.6%)
Give the likely discards one last shot
[ 7 ] (25.9%)
Play the team most likely to win us the game
[ 5 ] (18.5%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Topic: Play the kids or One last chance (Read 19577 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Play the kids or One last chance

Reply #30
We didn't get rid of Betts, he left on his own accord.

He's gone because of MM in the same way Daisy is here because of MM.

Eddie couldn't play MM footy.

The truth is I have no problems with coAches making these decisions but they also take 100% of the blame.

Eddie wasn't Sauce Jacobs fighting for a spot with 3 other guys he was a 50 goal a year forward that Mick wanted to run through the midfield.

And Jeffy will go at seasons end as well. That's 100 goals down the tube to keep Mick happy.

And what did we achieve when Eddie and Jeff were kicking 50+ goals? Oh that's right, sweet FA. We weren't good enough then, and yeah we've gone backwards, but there at least we seem to be more proactive in getting the right cattle in now. Trade in cheap quality (Docherty and Everitt) and head to the draft. We'll do the same again this year.

It's not going to be a quick fix, but thanks to the previous coach/administrations inability to turn over the list as needed we're starting from a long way back.

Reply #31
And what did we achieve when Eddie and Jeff were kicking 50+ goals? Oh that's right, sweet FA. We weren't good enough then, and yeah we've gone backwards, but there at least we seem to be more proactive in getting the right cattle in now. Trade in cheap quality (Docherty and Everitt) and head to the draft. We'll do the same again this year.

I wouldn't blame the players for the club's policy of not talking with anyone unless a deal was in our favour.

Reply #32
I think the style of football we play now is more conducive to being successful in the long run.

Previously it was more hit and hope brute force whilst now it requires a little more accuracy and structure.  Overall it's a proper way to play the game.

It also seems less reliant on individuals performing to a high level and more reliant on many playing their role.

I think we might be getting a little too emotional about it all.  Even in what many deem to be an ordinary performance we were in it to win it, and had we not given them a five goal head start we arguably would have won without fixing much.  This could've been the case for many of our matches this season.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #33
I think the style of football we play now is more conducive to being successful in the long run.

Previously it was more hit and hope brute force whilst now it requires a little more accuracy and structure.  Overall it's a proper way to play the game.

I think the style we play now is so physically taxing on players it can only be successful on the day against teams with a similar hard flooding boundary hugging game plan.

The future of AFL is there for all to see in the way the Dawks, GWS, GC and Norp play. That is why the Dawks valued Ratten and we don't, we looked back while they look forward. Forward to high speed, fast moving accurate ball movement backed up by large bodied mobile marking targets generating a massive number of scoring opportunities. They back themselves in to outscore opponents, not to stop opponents from scoring.

The chip and chop, flood and zone stuff has been well and truly unraveled by the precision foot skills and fast decision making of the modern teams. Hesitate and your dead, slow the game down and equally so, eventually you turn it over and then it's too late!

Hanging on to the safely, safely, safely game plan is like clinging to the Titanic because the lifeboat looks too flimsy! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #34

This is not really relevant a side from giving us an insight into where Mick has come short.

Reply #35

I wouldn't blame the players for the club's policy of not talking with anyone unless a deal was in our favour.

I don't blame the players at all. I'm simply saying that changes needed to be made and we previously didn't make them. Having 3 good small forwards was never going to make up for having 2 legitimate KPF's. Mick is trying to build the kind of list we need to be a contender. When we peaked under Ratten that list wasn't good enough to be a force. That's not to say we didn't have some players playing good football, but we needed a whole team playing great football. Eddie and Jeff had some good seasons under Ratten, but that wasn't good enough, so why shouldn't we look to change things and make them better?

Reply #36

I don't blame the players at all. I'm simply saying that changes needed to be made and we previously didn't make them. Having 3 good small forwards was never going to make up for having 2 legitimate KPF's. Mick is trying to build the kind of list we need to be a contender. When we peaked under Ratten that list wasn't good enough to be a force. That's not to say we didn't have some players playing good football, but we needed a whole team playing great football. Eddie and Jeff had some good seasons under Ratten, but that wasn't good enough, so why shouldn't we look to change things and make them better?

And Daisy is smashing it at the moment.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #37

I think the style we play now is so physically taxing on players it can only be successful on the day against teams with a similar hard flooding boundary hugging game plan.

The future of AFL is there for all to see in the way the Dawks, GWS, GC and Norp play. That is why the Dawks valued Ratten and we don't, we looked back while they look forward. Forward to high speed, fast moving accurate ball movement backed up by large bodied mobile marking targets generating a massive number of scoring opportunities. They back themselves in to outscore opponents, not to stop opponents from scoring.

The chip and chop, flood and zone stuff has been well and truly unraveled by the precision foot skills and fast decision making of the modern teams. Hesitate and your dead, slow the game down and equally so, eventually you turn it over and then it's too late!

Hanging on to the safely, safely, safely game plan is like clinging to the Titanic because the lifeboat looks too flimsy! ;)
I cant agree LP.  I think the boundary style is a product of players taking too long to hit the next target and slowing play down too much.
I think our strength and conditioning in recent years has been lacking and this is why we get inconsistency no matter who has been in charge.  I'm glad Buttifant is here as he has form in getting players to Afl standards, and I'm also glad we are not seeing instant results because of the Bombers situation.  They transformed quickly look where that got them.  I'm hoping to see a remarkable improvement next year.

The Hawks are a well oiled machine who have had continuity for the last seven plus years.  Same with Geelong.  North are still coming to terms with their style and Scott has had longer. 

In any case time will tell. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #38

And Daisy is smashing it at the moment.

And Daisy was the only player we brought into the club last year  ::)

Reply #39
I would rather any kid go into the off season thinking they havnt cracked a game yet and pushing themselves harder then having been given a freebie and thinking they are alright. Have to push the right culture.

I agree with this, senior games should be earned.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #40
MM say's Holman and Byrne are close.

That will at least give me something to watch.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #41
MM say's Holman and Byrne are close.

That will at least give me something to watch.

He also said if we play 3-4 kids we will get slaughtered....lets hope he shows some faith in youth and promotes a couple
this week and if he does I will gladly praise him..

Reply #42
I don't often post here, but i read alot...

A pies mate of mine said to me last year, Malthouse, will gut your your club, for 2 -4 years, and you will be no good, but if you stick fat, you'll be better for it.

TBH, thats what i'm seeing, and also some of the above posts are saying. Yes we're no good ATM, but in the right places I'm seeing improvement, and once the list is right, bingo...

Reply #43
I don't often post here, but i read alot...

A pies mate of mine said to me last year, Malthouse, will gut your your club, for 2 -4 years, and you will be no good, but if you stick fat, you'll be better for it.

TBH, thats what i'm seeing, and also some of the above posts are saying. Yes we're no good ATM, but in the right places I'm seeing improvement, and once the list is right, bingo...

Let's hope nato.

and folks I got it wrong it was the other Ciaran, Sheehan NOT Byrne.

Reply #44
What was noticeable in that presser was that MM made mention of everyone who's been close except Cachia and Graham.

Cachia has been injured, but I would have thought Graham might crack a mention.

I think Graham will play this week, full game.