Skip to main content
Topic: 2020 Game Plan (Read 2229 times) previous topic - next topic

2020 Game Plan

Interesting now that we've seen the trade period and the various comings and goings over the trade period, the draft being of very little short term relevance in such matters, what will our 2020 game plan be?

I suspect we'll see a lot of dynamic use of the bigger bodies, McKay, McGovern, Levi, Jones and Weitering being in effect a mobile hub. I thought there were some early signs of this last season, with Teague pushing guys like Levi and McKay to get to as many contests as possible. I realise we had a few injuries to cover at the time, but that should only make it better for us in 2020 not worse. I suspect we'll run with what already worked!

We might find less dependence on Cripps and Charlie to provide a primary marking option and more emphasis on their mobility and strength to get to and be an influence at stoppages with also being the 3rd man up in marking contests when opportunity arises.

I'm not sure how to make best use of SoJ, Kennedy and Setterfield, it really depends on our smart ball use!

I'll be very disappointed in 2020 if we find opposition teams taking a lot of uncontested or defensive marks against us, it just should not happen! Further, guys like Fisher, Walsh, Newnes, Gibbons, even Ed and sMurph, should be first at the fall of the ball 100% of the time!

Pretty much our entire list of talls now has mobility as a positive relative to Mr AFL Tall Joe Average, it must mean something!
The Force Awakens!

Re: 2020 Game Plan

Reply #1
I would like to see a greater focus on marking between the arcs.  By that I mean players presenting as marking targets AND clunking the pill as well as intercepting opposition kicks before the pill reaches our defensive 50.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #4
Under teh new no-runner rules this seems self-evident, if the players can't organise themselves the season is a lost cause!

I thought I read somewhere that most clubs are not happy with those rules, and they are going to be relaxed ?

Reply #5
Under teh new no-runner rules this seems self-evident, if the players can't organise themselves the season is a lost cause!

Yep .... rather questionable message

Reply #6
I thought I read somewhere that most clubs are not happy with those rules, and they are going to be relaxed ?

The AFL stated a week or so ago that any rule changes are on hold for 2020, it'll be given a second season to sort itself out before they review it again.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7
The AFL stated a week or so ago that any rule changes are on hold for 2020, it'll be given a second season to sort itself out before they review it again.

I see. Thanks.

Reply #8
I see. Thanks.

Of course, please do not forget, that's from the AFL!

The AFL could announce no changes at breakfast, and then be playing barefoot with a round ball by dinner! ::)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #9
Interesting the Crows have kiboshed senior assistants for 2020!

Maybe this is removing the safety net for lazy and dumb players, the players have nobody left to blame but themselves and the senior coach?

To me this is another sign that AFL clubs are realizing that in the absence of a plague of runners you can no longer depend on coaches to rectify an in game situation, it must be player driven!
The Force Awakens!