Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 3: Pre Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Geelong in Geelong (Read 10020 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 3: Pre Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Geelong in Geelong

Reply #120
Another very average game of boring modern footy.  Just can't out my finger on what's wrong with GWS.   They have so many awesome individual players,  but they just don't seem to be a connected unit. They played very dumb footy tonight, movement was so slow and unfocused I thought it was us for a while.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #121
Another very average game of boring modern footy.  Just can't out my finger on what's wrong with GWS.   They have so many awesome individual players,  but they just don't seem to be a connected unit. They played very dumb footy tonight, movement was so slow and unfocused I thought it was us for a while.
Arguably two of their best players were missing in Kelly and Green. We saw what happended to Rich when their best player was out. Imagine if Crippa didnt play tomorrow night, it would  be a dead set
 cricket score.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #122

GWS were shizen for sure.  I thought the way the doggies played was very watchable.  Wish we played a bit more like they did last night.

And as for my prediction against the cats - we will win!  Ever the optimist, I believe our turnaround is just around the corner.  We are fit enough for sure, and we have enough talent around the ground, there's just something lacking between then ears.  IF we play with the same intensity as the doggies did, we'll give the cats a real shake.  Bring the intensity lads, that's really all I'm asking. 

I think everyone would agree, regardless of things like honorable losses sucking balls, and winning being everything, if both teams turn up and play their hearts out, and we lose by a kick or two, i'd be happy enough.  If the cats are down, and we slack off for a quarter or two and lose by a kick i'll be demoralised, as per usual.  if we get absolutely smacked it will be very, very worrying indeed, considering how much emphasis we should be placing on competing hard this week.  

Reply #123
Another very average game of boring modern footy.  Just can't out my finger on what's wrong with GWS.  They have so many awesome individual players,  but they just don't seem to be a connected unit. They played very dumb footy tonight, movement was so slow and unfocused I thought it was us for a while.
GWS is overloaded with athletes, but very few footballers. When the few footballers GWS have on hand go missing the opposition footballers put the GWS athletes to the torch and the athletes fold. You just cannot teach players to naturally become uncompromising at the football, you've either got it or you haven't.

It's why I think teams built of athletes will rarely succeed on the big day, because footballers will treat them with brutality on that day! It's my big reservation about our list, we've built a list that is a safe workplace, and guys spend the week planning for a long and happy retirement.

I think too many modern coaches are enamoured with athletes, as a result they do not get the balance right they just invoke more athletes. The coaches drool at the thought of the athlete winning the football on the 5th or 6th repeat effort, the victory at the last gasp of breath, running an opponent into the ground Craig Bradley or Robert Harvey style, which is a certain type of hardness. While hard edged footballers on that ultimate day, the likes of Hodge or Selwood, will inevitably end that contest on the 1st or 2nd attempt! ;)

Coaches can't escape this reality, and the GWS list is ironic given that Sheedy built it and no bigger finals football sniper you will find! Sheedy is exactly the type of footballer that causes GWS players to fold, but he helped build the list that he admires, full of players that have exactly what he didn't, athleticism, skill, endurance and agility! But almost zero of his brutality!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #124
And as for my prediction against the cats - we will win!  Ever the optimist, I believe our turnaround is just around the corner.  We are fit enough for sure, and we have enough talent around the ground, there's just something lacking between then ears.  IF we play with the same intensity as the doggies did, we'll give the cats a real shake.  Bring the intensity lads, that's really all I'm asking. 

The betting odds our way don't look too generous. 

Reply #125
GWS were shizen for sure.  I thought the way the doggies played was very watchable.  Wish we played a bit more like they did last night.

I think everyone would agree, regardless of things like honorable losses sucking balls, and winning being everything, if both teams turn up and play their hearts out, and we lose by a kick or two, i'd be happy enough.  If the cats are down, and we slack off for a quarter or two and lose by a kick i'll be demoralised, as per usual.  if we get absolutely smacked it will be very, very worrying indeed, considering how much emphasis we should be placing on competing hard this week.  
Not a hope in hell.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #127
We are a chance if the Cats turn up over cocky and think we are toast before the ball is bounced, resting Parfitt so new chum Stevens can play with no match fitness is a sign they dont rate us and think they just have to turn up.
I give us a chance if we can be with them at half time, its a weird season with clubs in pre season mode really and everyone looking out of tune and surprise results will be more common IMO.
Blues by 17 points over a cocky half arsed Cats lineup.....just love to see C. Scotts face in the box and the excuses he finds, we are due some luck and the law of averages has to have us winning at the Cattery sooner than later, this weird season might make it happen.
If we lose and are none from three its probably season over and Teague under the blowtorch, the players have to show they care and respond in the 1st quarter.

Reply #128
We are a chance if the Cats turn up over cocky and think we are toast before the ball is bounced, resting Parfitt so new chum Stevens can play with no match fitness is a sign they dont rate us and think they just have to turn up.
I give us a chance if we can be with them at half time, its a weird season with clubs in pre season mode really and everyone looking out of tune and surprise results will be more common IMO.
Blues by 17 points over a cocky half arsed Cats lineup.....just love to see C. Scotts face in the box and the excuses he finds, we are due some luck and the law of averages has to have us winning at the Cattery sooner than later, this weird season might make it happen.
If we lose and are none from three its probably season over and Teague under the blowtorch, the players have to show they care and respond in the 1st quarter.

Tell all the boys that they don't have a game next week (we play positive covid testing bombers!) and that this will be a defining game (and potentially their last) for 2020. Don't have to worry about backing it up next week, leave nothing in the tank!

Reply #129
They rested Parfitt because they only have a one man band midfield to be concerned with. A half fit Stevens can easily rip us a new one as his opponent will likely be a kid.

Way too many stars in the midfield for our group to contend with. Weight of numbers will prevail. Watch for one of Dangerfield Ablett Stevens Selwood to get off the lease.

Can’t tag them all.

Can’t see us getting close to them.

Reply #130
Too many stars, too many contributors, too well coached, play that ground amazingly well, the perfect storm for us.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th