Skip to main content
Topic: Electric Vehicles (Read 3975 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Electric Vehicles

Reply #30
They have been spruking cheaper fares but with all those setup costs you listed I cant see how they will make a dollar. They are really foreign owned which I didnt know, share price has been flying(pardon the pun), up 14% today to an all time 5 year high and they pay a handy 6% dividend too. 100,000 tickets on sale starting at $79 Melb to Syd, they have backing from a Asia Pacific Finance group called PAG holdings who manage 40 Billion dollars worth of dough and have already sunk 200 mill into Rex.
PAG have two directors now on the Rex board, given the background of the Rex Chairman Lim Kim Hai and PAGs investment this is essentially a foreign airline operating under the Rex banner so I dont get why our Government are allowing them to operate the City routes when Qantas are sacking staff and on the drip feed for money.
Throw in Virgin and its a real mess IMO.....

I know Kim Hai personally ... and an ultra low opinion of the man.  They are entitled to operate as they have an AOC (Air Ops Certificate) and can add (when licenced over a city pair) any route they wish to their network.  BTW, Rex would not exist without the death of Ansett and of Kendell airlines and Hazelton airlines, both owned and affiliates of the AN mainline.

They ain't seen anything yet and are totally out of their league.  They will never survive on the two highest density routes in Australia and they're headed for a major fail and fall.

Arrogant SOBs.  The terminal lease costs alone will see them off, even if they secure the space.  Virgin and Qantas hold all of the prime real estate at MEL / SYD / BNE.  Operating RPT (regular public transport) brings with it enormous dollars in expense.  

EDIT - Tiger didn't last either

Reply #31
Interesting to read about the new Mercedes Hybrids being release, C200 and C300 in both Petrol and Diesel variants, no more V8 or V6, all will be Turbo4.

But performance is extreme, the C300 Turbo 4 Diesel Hybrid outperforms most of the older V6 and V8 models, with 0 to 100 KPH in about 5.2s, and does it with 6ltr/100km fuel efficiency.

I suspect the next step for Mercedes will be Hydrogen Hybrids with at home off-grid hydrogen generation and battery recharge.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #32
Interesting to read about the new Mercedes Hybrids being release, C200 and C300 in both Petrol and Diesel variants, no more V8 or V6, all will be Turbo4.

But performance is extreme, the C300 Turbo 4 Diesel Hybrid outperforms most of the older V6 and V8 models, with 0 to 100 KPH in about 5.2s, and does it with 6ltr/100km fuel efficiency.

I suspect the next step for Mercedes will be Hydrogen Hybrids with at home off-grid hydrogen generation and battery recharge.
Think the Tesla Model S Plaid does 0-60kmh in 2.28s(without rollout subtracted), thats insane .....

Reply #33
Think the Tesla Model S Plaid does 0-60kmh in 2.28s(without rollout subtracted), thats insane .....
That's 2.1s for 0-100km/hr for the Plaid+ 2022 model, as touted.

There is a bit of a trick here with the Tesla, I've got mates who own various Tesla with all the major high performance AWD models covered. None of that high performance comes off the shelf, you have to go through a lot of procedures and pre-heat the battery and motors to get anywhere near that performance, if the warm up is not followed the current protection circuits prevent the required power levels. Just doing this once, destroys about half your charge/range, there are a few guys who do chop jobs on having them setup for off-road drags! It's a bit tricky to get the peak performance out, like baking a soufflé!

Having said that, even the stock standard 100D pins you to the non-stain white leather seats when you floor the accelerator. Some people may find the non-stain leather quite useful!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #34
Mitsubishi are supposedly releasing a hybrid triton next year.

First hybrid ute i believe.

Reply #35
Mitsubishi are supposedly releasing a hybrid triton next year.

First hybrid ute i believe.
Ewww
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #37
That's 2.1s for 0-100km/hr for the Plaid+ 2022 model, as touted.

There is a bit of a trick here with the Tesla, I've got mates who own various Tesla with all the major high performance AWD models covered. None of that high performance comes off the shelf, you have to go through a lot of procedures and pre-heat the battery and motors to get anywhere near that performance, if the warm up is not followed the current protection circuits prevent the required power levels. Just doing this once, destroys about half your charge/range, there are a few guys who do chop jobs on having them setup for off-road drags! It's a bit tricky to get the peak performance out, like baking a soufflé!

Having said that, even the stock standard 100D pins you to the non-stain white leather seats when you floor the accelerator. Some people may find the non-stain leather quite useful!

So I can lose my licence in under 3 seconds? That is quite impressive.