Skip to main content
Topic: Electric Vehicles (Read 3976 times) previous topic - next topic

Electric Vehicles

First it was Ferrari, now it's Masserati, they are going electric.

As a hobby I use to build/rebuild engines, mostly V8s, nothing like firing up a lumpy cam V8 on the engine stand with just a couple of headers attached and no mufflers. All the tools I needed come from Sidchrome, Kinchrome and Bahco and the like, maybe the only thing with power was the worklight. Even the impact driver was the old type that you use with a hammer!

But I've suddenly realised my work and hobby is merging, I spend most of the day with advanced technologies using oscilloscopes, robots and computers, to control, repair and diagnose equipment. Now if I'm working on car motors as a hobby it'll be using a PicoScope, Computer, Bluetooth and Multimeter.

FMD, perhaps it's time to retire! :o

But I wouldn't advise going off-road all electric just yet, good luck finding a local mechanic with spares or knowledge to repair those 128-Bit encrypted computer controlled monsters, you'll probably need to local computer shop or hackers!
The Force Awakens!

Re: Electric Vehicles

Reply #1
Enjoy those tools mate because those brands aren't locally made anymore and they're now  fair dinkum shyte.  Actually,  worse than useless.   Companies like "Crescent", who used to make good shifters etc now pushing stuff with the old brand names but they aren't the same... Guess where it all comes from?   Supposedly Nicholson files with the quality standards of a dog log on the nature strip.   Check the packets and they're all made in the PRC.  

Free trade seems to mean remove tariffs that protected local quality manufactures like Siddons, Titan,  Wiltshire etc so the PRC could dump shyte, kill off manufacturing  and then take over.   And they have the temerity to claim Australia is dumping goods.  The world is f""""""d
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #2
Enjoy those tools mate because those brands aren't locally made anymore and they're now  fair dinkum shyte.  Actually,  worse than useless.  Companies like "Crescent", who used to make good shifters etc now pushing stuff with the old brand names but they aren't the same... Guess where it all comes from?  Supposedly Nicholson files with the quality standards of a dog log on the nature strip.  Check the packets and they're all made in the PRC. 

Free trade seems to mean remove tariffs that protected local quality manufactures like Siddons, Titan,  Wiltshire etc so the PRC could dump shyte, kill off manufacturing  and then take over.  And they have the temerity to claim Australia is dumping goods.  The world is f""""""d
Yeah, it's bullcrap isn't it.

I've got a builder mate, for home we buy good kit, Bosch Blue, Milwaukee, AEG, Makita, etc, etc.. He put me onto Bosch Blue years ago and through a mate at Siemens I was able to buy direct from the Bosch factory which had it's own shop for all it's staff and families. But this stuff generally doesn't get cheaper, it's getting more expensive relative to the other kit because it reliable. But for work he's gone full circle, now he buys cheap Chinese rubbish, almost a new power tool kit per job, if it breaks he buys another one because he can buy 4 or 5 for the price of one name brand. He'll tell you the quality is not the same, but the price is stupidly cheap, and the big issue for him is if someone nicks his stuff he doesn't give a rats arse because it's dead set rubbish!

All my tool kit is the old stuff, most of it imperial. I've got an old Sidchrome socket set was my fathers, bought from the Repco trade outlet which use to be in Clayton. It must be at least 50 years old, not a single broken or rounded socket, the ratchet still works perfectly and not a spot of rust even the press metal case is still rust free and the powder coating mostly scratch free. Even the foam liner is the original! Compare that to a special socket adaptor I purchased last year, a special I needed to work on a small engine in a confined space, of course the only one I could find in stock was Trojan "Superior chrome molybdenum steel" it says on the packaging. Even comes in it's own little pressed tin storage case. Used it once, put in in the bottom tray of the tool chest a less than a year later case and adaptor rusted, even the foam has started to dissolve and go sticky, chrome crap I'd say!

I realise most people are going to buy this stuff for the odd job around the house and might use things once or twice and never gain, cheap is good in this case if it works, but that doesn't stop it being crap!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3
Two things:
1. I never imagined you LP as being a petrol head, lumpy cam, V8 guy. Just goes to show how these forums mask our characters. We should start are Who We Are thread.
2. A mate of mine is a mechanic by trade, bought Sidchrome tools when he started 35 years ago but quickly moved across to Snap On and Stahlwille, swears by them. They still look like the day he bought them and trust me they have turned a few nuts and bolts. You do get what you pay for most of the time.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #4
Yep,  I'm a Stahlwillie man too,  simply awesome. 

Reply #5
Yep,  I'm a Stahlwillie man too,  simply awesome. 
You hold them in your hand and they feel unbelievable.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #7
Well what would you expect from a steel willie?
Well played Sir
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #8
Two things:
1. I never imagined you LP as being a petrol head, lumpy cam, V8 guy. Just goes to show how these forums mask our characters. We should start are Who We Are thread.
2. A mate of mine is a mechanic by trade, bought Sidchrome tools when he started 35 years ago but quickly moved across to Snap On and Stahlwille, swears by them. They still look like the day he bought them and trust me they have turned a few nuts and bolts. You do get what you pay for most of the time.
Just fascinated with technology in any form, including engineering which of course covers engines!

When you work with electronics, computers and high tech all day long like I do, anything mechanical is a great hobby, especially if you hate gardening! The irony is I can tear down and rebuild a car without the manual, and get it working even with parts left over! ;D

But never ask me to make a square cut or drill a straight hole in a piece of timber, that is black magic as far as I'm concerned! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #9
Its amazing.  I know they say that EV technology is the way forward, but has anyone looked up what a Lithium mine looks like??

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #10
Its amazing.  I know they say that EV technology is the way forward, but has anyone looked up what a Lithium mine looks like??
Even worse, check out some solar cell production facilities if you can find some that aren't the propaganda laden clean room images you see on corporate websites!

I visited a factory in a nearby SE Asian country a few years back to perform some hardware upgrades, they have two facilities, one they take Euro visitors to that looks like a Ferrari showroom and wins them certification as an EU supplier, and another one where they actually make stuff which looked more like a dystopian sweatshop processing toxic heavy metals! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #11

Jeremy Clarkson (i know) used to point out how 'green' all this green energy/technology is and pointed out that all the mining and flying stuff around makes it more harmful to the environment than what it is trying to replace.
His agenda was clear, but his logic was correct.

Reply #12
The fanciful notion that we can ever replace fossil fuels without embracing nuclear is stupid in the extreme.  I have a 16 panel solar system, NOT because I want them, but rather forced to do so by insane power bills.

Reply #13
Yes, I note the renewable activists a few weeks back lauding the UK for going 3 or 4 months this year without firing up a coal fired plant, but they conveniently neglect to tell you the intermittent shortfalls are made up by importing energy much of which come from nuclear sites dotted around the EU.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #14
If you guys want to see a total environmental catastrophe,  check out the facilities that process the dirt containing REE into all those fancy metals..... And the waste is normally radioactive to boot.

Wonder metals..... It's a wonder anything is left of the planet after extraction.   The real cost of that phone in your pocket, or those solar cells or fancy bearings on that wind turbine.