Skip to main content
Topic: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs Hawthorn in Launceston (Read 27191 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre-Game Pressure: AFL 2019 Rd 6: Carlton vs Hawthorn in Launceston

Reply #120
The Garlett as a defender experiment seems to be over as he played as a small forward with the NBs.

I don’t believe that he did enough to deserve a recall but I take Kruddler’s point about the need for speed.
Yeah great, he'll be really really fast at turning it over.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #121
The Garlett as a defender experiment seems to be over as he played as a small forward with the NBs.

I don’t believe that he did enough to deserve a recall but I take Kruddler’s point about the need for speed.

I'm more inclined to pick someone who'll get the ball and use it first before I worry about how fast they run.

Reply #122

21. Jarrod Garlett
Stats: Seven disposals, three clearances
From the coach: He had moments which were important in our front half which came on the back of his pressure. He was unselfish to set up Matt Owies for our first goal, so there was a team element to what he was doing. It’s about consistency with Jarrod: the small forward role can be difficult but we need him to continue applying pressure as we saw in stages on the weekend.

Not the sort of glowing review that demands a recall. Looked even less effective in the flesh at Vic Park. No way he’ll make the cut.

Reply #123
Yeah great, he'll be really really fast at turning it over.

There is that  :)

I'm more inclined to pick someone who'll get the ball and use it first before I worry about how fast they run.

I’m more inclined to pick a balanced team that can match the opposition and exploit their weaknesses.  Going into the game with too many slow but reliable footballers would be a recipe for disaster.

That said, I wouldn’t have Garlett in the 22.  He needs to show a lot more (but he could be outstanding at training for all I know).
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #124
Having speed is one thing, having awful disposal is another. Also shirks a contest.

Garletts issue is confidence. When he has it, his kicking is a sight to behold. Unfortunately, throwing him to all corners of the ground has unsettled him and his game has suffered. Find him a spot and leave him there and you'll see his output improve.

Reply #125
Cuningham for Polson. Don't think Charlie will come up, if he does then expect Meat to get the chop  ??? (which would be unfair in some regards).

Then again, if Charlie plays, SOJ is sent back to the NBs (which would also seem unfair in some ways)?
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #126
Garlett isnt a contested player , wont ever make it at AFL level...back to the WAFL for him...

Reply #127
Garlett isnt a contested player , wont ever make it at AFL level...back to the WAFL for him...

Still only 22. I reckon he's worth hanging onto for a bit longer. He does some special things. Given a run in a successful team - who knows?

Reply #128
Interesting to note that the Northern Blues article on their team list says all the players named on the Carlton extended bench are nemed in the Northern squad.

BUT neither Charlie Curnow nor Kade Simpson are named in the Northern Squad.  I take from this that they are seniors or nothing - hopefully both are good to go, but I suppose the pessimist
might say it suggests both will be missing on the weekend.

http://northernbluesfc.com.au/?p=7133

Reply #129
There is that  :)

I’m more inclined to pick a balanced team that can match the opposition and exploit their weaknesses.  Going into the game with too many slow but reliable footballers would be a recipe for disaster.

That said, I wouldn’t have Garlett in the 22.  He needs to show a lot more (but he could be outstanding at training for all I know).

And yet if he has 6 touches and kicks 2 goals is that a better effort than Polson's 6 disposals, 3 tackle effort?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #130
Cuningham for Polson. Don't think Charlie will come up, if he does then expect Meat to get the chop  ??? (which would be unfair in some regards).

Then again, if Charlie plays, SOJ is sent back to the NBs (which would also seem unfair in some ways)?

Yes. Mixed emotions on this quandary.
We need to boldly step back and see the bigger picture.
We finally have some competition for spots. That's what we've been waiting for since SOS took over.
We also have a healthier list so far this season.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #131
It's not just tackles, it's pressure acts, hard chasing and pressure that limits the time defenders have to dispose of the ball and launch counter-attacks, and can cause turnovers

Reply #132
And yet if he has 6 touches and kicks 2 goals is that a better effort than Polson's 6 disposals, 3 tackle effort?

Garlett has kicked 2 goals once in his career and nothing suggests that he is going to match that any time soon.

Jack’s response has stolen my thunder.  :)

It's not just tackles, it's pressure acts, hard chasing and pressure that limits the time defenders have to dispose of the ball and launch counter-attacks, and can cause turnovers

Polson’s pressure acts are what keeps him in the team or on the verge of selection.  He reminds me of a human pinball.  It’s just a shame that the ‘tilt’ light comes on before he can gain possession of the pill.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #133
Still only 22. I reckon he's worth hanging onto for a bit longer. He does some special things. Given a run in a successful team - who knows?

Garlett and Lebois both struggle to impact in the twos....I take your point about doing special things with X factor but none of them do it often enough to justify
being senior players. Pickett is the one I would probably give another year too as he is stronger bodied and has more intent about how he plays that pressure forward type role.
Its a position we need to recruit or trade for next draft period period, the stronger clubs seem to have these smaller forward players winning games for them and
we need to have a bit of that in our weapons cupboard too, at the moment we are very reliant on our tall marking forwards.

Reply #134
Garlett and Lebois both struggle to impact in the twos....I take your point about doing special things with X factor but none of them do it often enough to justify
being senior players. Pickett is the one I would probably give another year too as he is stronger bodied and has more intent about how he plays that pressure forward type role.
Its a position we need to recruit or trade for next draft period period, the stronger clubs seem to have these smaller forward players winning games for them and
we need to have a bit of that in our weapons cupboard too, at the moment we are very reliant on our tall marking forwards.

Lebois is still not selected in the twos