Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Pandemonium!: AFL 2020 Rd 14: Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 14476 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Pandemonium!: AFL 2020 Rd 14: Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #120
Quick question, because there seems to be some confusion.
Who did Polson play on in the first half?
Who did he play on in the second half?

I thought he played abit on Thomas and a bit on Daicos or Brown, I'd have to have a look at the game. Why do you ask Two Dogs?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #121
I thought he played abit on Thomas and a bit on Daicos or Brown, I'd have to have a look at the game. Why do you ask Two Dogs?

I have no idea who he was playing on.
It's too difficult to give a definitive answer from the television
I've been reading a few different forum/facebook pages today.
There are the usual calls for him to be dropped straight away....but he also has some spirited defenders who are suggesting he  did a good job on Thomas in the second half... and the reason we didn't see much of Polson was the negating role he was playing.

I guess the 'tell' will be if he retains his spot.

Reply #122

Lods I watched the highlight package and in the second half, he appears to be following Josh Thomas around. Now If Im not mistaken, Thomas was quiet in the 2nd half, gave us some trouble in the first though right? I reckon Willo was on Thomas in the first half.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #123
Lods I watched the highlight package and in the second half, he appears to be following Josh Thomas around. Now If Im not mistaken, Thomas was quiet in the 2nd half, gave us some trouble in the first though right?

Yep
So the question is did he have Thomas all game or was he moved onto him in the second half.
There's some suggestion in other places that it was Willamson on Thomas in the first half.

Reply #124
there was one handball in the second quarter that absolutely killed gibbons and made him a sitting duck.  High looping and in the middle of 3 Collingwood players.

We do this type of handball all the time. Why can’t we be creative instead of reactionary when the heat is put on?

Reply #125
Yep
So the question is did he have Thomas all game or was he moved onto him in the second half.
There's some suggestion in other places that it was Willamson on Thomas in the first half.
Yes, I amended my post, Willo appears to following Thomas in the first half.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #126
It's quite funny what we can see then believe, and then without hesitation put it in hard-copy on the inter-webs forever and ever!

There are a lot of posts on the forum blaming this player or that player, Plowman, Polson, Williamson, sMurph, Simmo, etc., etc., etc.. I suspect if I did a forum audit I'd find those few playing all over the ground on the majority of opponents who had a good 30 seconds on camera!

Plowman's been blamed for the sudden good form of about 4 or 5 opponents, some of them he probably wasn't within 50m of for the bulk of the game, but it's that split second they ran past him on camera that was the critical moment triggering their resurrection from AFL spud to rising star and Carlton killer! ;D

It's safer just to assume everything you want to post is wrong until you've gone back and double checked! :o

It is the reason why I only vote in Jim Park when I've had a chance to re-watch the game in cold emotionless detail.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #127

Polson is pushing it up hill with the Carlton faithful to start with even with solid form in the scratch matches.

He has been credited with two Josh Thomas Goals.

The first is from a dump kick from Sam Walsh that Quaynor roves from the marking contest outside 50.  The ball deep inside 50 is contested by Cox and Jones.   Williamson follows Thomas who roves and goals.   Polson in not one of 7 Carlton players pictured inside 50.   Jones, Weitering, Plowman, Doc, Cripps, Setterfield and Simpson.   Hard to tell if Polson is actually on the ground at the time.

The 2nd goal Thomas loses Plowman working up the field and first gets involved at wing/half back.   Crisps miss bounces and Thomas gets the handball receive and kicks a nice goal.

While I am not suggesting Polson was great he wasn't directly responsible for the two Thomas goals.

Now as EB points out Thomas had 9 score involvements so his influence wasn't limited to his 2 goals.

I must admit I didn't mind trying Polson in the new role.     Reading the reports his disposal looks to have improved.

He did have 246 meters gained which is not huge, but when you consider he only had 8 touches at 30.75metres per touches that was the highest for any Carlton player.   Just need to get the ball a little more, which in turn might free up SPS to play a more natural role.

Reply #128
The small defender role is important in terms of the player having to be a very good user of the ball these days and be able to hit targets under pressure to clear the ball.
Lets give Polson a pass on defending but IMO his use of the ball, decision making wont stand up under pressure from really good teams. The player we really needed to nail as a trade was Saad...he was a bad miss for us, can defend, has pace and is a decent kick and decision maker, shame he picked EFC and I wish we had probably offered a bit more money to sway his opinion.

Reply #129
The small defender role is important in terms of the player having to be a very good user of the ball these days and be able to hit targets under pressure to clear the ball.
Lets give Polson a pass on defending but IMO his use of the ball, decision making wont stand up under pressure from really good teams. The player we really needed to nail as a trade was Saad...he was a bad miss for us, can defend, has pace and is a decent kick and decision maker, shame he picked EFC and I wish we had probably offered a bit more money to sway his opinion.

Out of contract and after more money than the Bombers are keen on offering.   Good footballer but I would spend my money elsewhere.    Just need a solid citizen with good foot skills.

Reply #130
Out of contract and after more money than the Bombers are keen on offering.   Good footballer but I would spend my money elsewhere.    Just need a solid citizen with good foot skills.
Been an area thats been ignored and given we spent 800k on a 3rd tall forward I think a bit of money spent down back is fair enough. Appreciate we will probably be looking at Williams who will be around 800-900k but I think Saad is a decent player to pursue and spend a dollar or two on as well.

Reply #131
Saad can be a game breaker and if he is available we should look at him.

Worth remember he snubbed us to go to the Bombers though, and what impact that would have on the team.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #132
Polson is pushing it up hill with the Carlton faithful to start with even with solid form in the scratch matches.

He has been credited with two Josh Thomas Goals.

The first is from a dump kick from Sam Walsh that Quaynor roves from the marking contest outside 50.  The ball deep inside 50 is contested by Cox and Jones.   Williamson follows Thomas who roves and goals.   Polson in not one of 7 Carlton players pictured inside 50.   Jones, Weitering, Plowman, Doc, Cripps, Setterfield and Simpson.   Hard to tell if Polson is actually on the ground at the time.

The 2nd goal Thomas loses Plowman working up the field and first gets involved at wing/half back.   Crisps miss bounces and Thomas gets the handball receive and kicks a nice goal.

While I am not suggesting Polson was great he wasn't directly responsible for the two Thomas goals.

Now as EB points out Thomas had 9 score involvements so his influence wasn't limited to his 2 goals.

I must admit I didn't mind trying Polson in the new role.     Reading the reports his disposal looks to have improved.

He did have 246 meters gained which is not huge, but when you consider he only had 8 touches at 30.75metres per touches that was the highest for any Carlton player.   Just need to get the ball a little more, which in turn might free up SPS to play a more natural role.

Exactly what I saw in the highlights package, Polson went onto Thomas in the second half who was largely unsighted.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #133
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/08/31/have-carltons-top-young-draft-picks-actually-improved/

Cornes is a flog but it's a pretty valid point. Go back as far as the draft of 2015 through to 2018 (LY too early to call yet)....and in those 4 years, who has really come on?

Weitering - been a gun this year.
McKay - frustrates us with glimpses in patches but is also injured a lot.
Curno - ditto
Cunningham - ditto
Silvagni J - been a surprise packet for mine for such a late pick.

SPS- again, glimpses in patches but hasn't come on.
Fisher - been good and looks like he can make it.
Macreadie - barely played with injuries and form.
Polson - been enough said already.
Williamson - finally getting some return this year.
Kerr - gone.

Dow - enough said.
O'Brien - not sure he'll make it either.
TDK - after a couple of injury plagued seasons he's looking like a great pick up and a long term future for sure.
Schumacher - gone
Garlett - gone

Walsh - gun
Stocker - who knows?
O'Dwyer - speculative pick unlikely to survive the cut.
Silvagni B - same as O'Dwyer?

So for 4 years worth of draft picks and plenty of really high ones, the only successes to date look to be Weitering, Curnow (?), Fisher, Williamson (maybe), Walsh, TDK....McKay into his 5th year and needs to get better pretty quickly....

You can add getting McGovern for Shane Mc Adam and 2 picks in the 20s there was also some future late picks swapped
Setterfield for ultimately a pick in the low 20s and Nathan Kreuger
My other beef with SOS was recruiting so many crap players from other AFL clubs to prop up the list when he and his crew should have look more closely at the VFL SANFL WAFL NEFL
For late bloomers
Only Lang remains although I don’t rank Plowman
Kennedy isn’t a mid he is a forward

Reply #134
Keogh....I've posted it before and didn't want to torture the readers again.....but if you look at the 2014 Draft, that was the killer! An absolute disaster....blokes from that draft would now be in their prime years but not one of them is left at the club.