Skip to main content
Topic: Pre game preamble: AFL 2020 Rd 6: Carlton vs ??? (Read 5981 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Pre game preamble: AFL 2020 Rd 6: Carlton vs ???

Reply #45
Moore is a worker and doenst have the talent of McGovern but the pressure has risen on McGovern in the media from people like Mark Maclure and he might be getting a holiday. Easton Wood is the intercept king and the Guv never chased or manned Wilkie last week and it cost us and Moore or Kennedy might come in to replace him.
Polson....tackles well but offers little else..

Yep Polson and Moore are VFL players at best and I’d expect that Fisher and Kennedy would be the next cabs of the rank. I’d like to see Honey and/or Stocker but they don’t appear to be in favour.

Plowman survives again.

Reply #46
I hope that Teague instructs Liam Jones not to attempt to switch play unless there is no opposition player within 30 metres of his intended target.  Liam’s preferred options should be going down the line or handpassing.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #47
^^

I dont think there should be a hard and fast rule surrounding these actions.

At the time we were doing it, there was a clear plan to try and take the game on and go up the ground through the corridor.

It unfortunately killed the game off, but you need to back players to be able to make the decision to be bold when the game is there to be won.

There is no point chastising someone for the bad outcome.  No one wants that outcome.   going down the line wasnt exactly yielding results, as Levi, Mckay and Mcgovern were not impacting contests either.

The way I saw it, we were trying to win.  I think this shouldnt be condemned.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #48
Thry, it’s not the intention that’s at fault, it’s the execution.

Jones lacks the skill and/or judgement to execute precise kicks into or across the corridor.  Weitering, Docherty and, more often than not, Plowman, Simmo, Samo and Willo can do it. 

Utilise your strengths and cover your deficiencies 🙂
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #49
^^

I actually think he can (ive seen him do it).

The problem isnt whether or not players can or cannot.  Its working out when they should.  Thats what a coach should teach them.  When the game is running away from you, the time to do it from even your worse players is then.  Why?  Because going down the line is what is expected from them.  If they elect not to that is ok too, but the opposition will expect Liam not to attempt to go down the corridor, or switch the play and he will be able to take them by surprise in a situation where the risks are actually not that high because the game is already slipping away.  So continue being bold, and hopefully it will be pay off.

This is what seperates a premiership team from an also ran by the way.  Its not necessarily about strengths and weaknesses and trying to bridge the gap between them, its about knowing when to play to your strengths, and knowing when its ok to use your weaknesses.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #50
That’s fine Thry but it’s better than even money that Jones will kick to the opposition’s advantage and cough up a goal.

You’re right about learning when they should and, in Liam’s case, it’s when his target has 30 metres on the opposition.

Alright, I’m exaggerating but Jones should never try to pinpoint a kick to a closely guarded teammate.

Reply #51
The club has hinted that Moore will be part of the final squad, i.e. we are likely to see a debutante on Sunday, and he's the only one on the list.  Bye, bye Gov I would say.  

Reply #52
Bye, bye Gov I would say.  

Teague has confirmed that McGovern will be in the 22.

Reply #53
If it's wet as some have indicated and Moore is an IN, then I'm tipping McKay to be dropped...along with possibly Philp and maybe Newnes....with Moore, Kennedy and Fisher in?

Reply #54
Moore is on standby for Mckay being ok...not sure what his problem is..
McGovern is in the team, last chance for him IMO or he will be dropped.
I think he will lift and play a good game maybe in a different role down back..

Reply #55
If it's wet on Sunday then I can't see the logic in playing all 3 of McKay, Levi and McGovern. Mind you I couldn't see the logic in playing Darcy Lang against Melbourne.

Reply #56
Back to this Sunday's game...

Just saw an awful sight that filled me with pessimism toward Sunday's outcome. I watched the boys training up north in the sun and there was Barker giving players instructions... 😭 😔 😔

Teague fractured his ankle at training. lol Oops.

That'd be why Barker stepped up.

Reply #57
One change. Kennedy for Philp.

Reply #58
One change. Kennedy for Philp.

Opinion or fact?

What about Fisher?

EDIT: Apparantly fact.

Why did we name Fisher last week, only for a late out, and he not come up again 1 week later??
Doesn't make sense for me.

Happy with the team named though.
Kennedy banged the door down.
Philp has shown a couple of good things, but by no means is he best 22 yet.

We are trying to win this game....and so we should!