43 - White
[ 2 ] (2.5%)
44 - Carrazzo
[ 19 ] (23.5%)
46 - Ellard (subbed off)
[ 3 ] (3.7%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: June 06, 2014, 07:22:38 pm

Topic: R11 - WORST on ground vs Lions (Read 10720 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: R10 - WORST on ground vs Lions

Reply #15
Nothing wrong with White or Rowe (and I have been a massive critic) tonite or in weeks gone by. Problems are elsewhere.

Ask yourself whether either of them, or Casboult, or Ellard, would get a regular game at a top 8 club.

Laidler is. Straight from the Northern Bullants into a highly possible premiership side at the height of their game.

Sometimes we're surprised by what happens.

Reply #16
Warnock - May cop some heat with this one. was decent in the ruck but around the ground he was poor. There was some incidences where he just had to do more, ie make space. I saw him on the bottom of my screen a few times just stand and watch where he could have presented for the ball and set a play up.   

He had 14 disposals
5 clearances himself.
2 inside 50's
and a goal assist....which at a guess was the brilliant tap down Garletts throat for a goal.

oh and he had 57 hitouts.

Which happens to be equal 8th highest hitouts in a game of ALL TIME.

I think we had some worse players than that.

Reply #18
, murphys worst game I have ever seen.

I think I need to get the Foxtel man out, there is obviously something wrong with my reception.......

Think the stat guys need to get their eyes checked too.

38 disposals (game high)
22 kicks (game high)
16 handballs (team high)
8 marks (team high)
4 clearances (=3rd)
3 rebounds 50 (=2nd)
6 tackles (=1st)
2 bounces (=1st)
7 inside 50's (=1st)
1 goal

Reply #19

Laidler is. Straight from the Northern Bullants into a highly possible premiership side at the height of their game.

That Laidler is getting a game at Sydney is irrelevant to whether Rowe, Casboult or Ellard would.
Ted Richards wasn't getting a regular game at Essendon either, North delisted Leigh Brown, Geelong got Tom Harley from Port for next to nothing, ditto North with Peter Bell, it happens.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #20
Warnock - May cop some heat with this one. was decent in the ruck but around the ground he was poor. There was some incidences where he just had to do more, ie make space. I saw him on the bottom of my screen a few times just stand and watch where he could have presented for the ball and set a play up.   

He had 14 disposals
5 clearances himself.
2 inside 50's
and a goal assist....which at a guess was the brilliant tap down Garletts throat for a goal.

Warnock wasn't among our worst players but he didn't have a genuine opponent for most of the game, and he couldn't manage to take a mark.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #21
Waite & Tuohy.

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #22

That Laidler is getting a game at Sydney is irrelevant to whether Rowe, Casboult or Ellard would.
Ted Richards wasn't getting a regular game at Essendon either, North delisted Leigh Brown, Geelong got Tom Harley from Port for next to nothing, ditto North with Peter Bell, it happens.

Not irrelevant at all. Same type of situation. You talk about players of lower standards not getting a game at better clubs then you promptly name quite a few who did. If Laidler can get one, and Teddy Richards at the time got one, and others you talk about got a game after being delisted  it means those you speak about could possibly get one too. All it does is partially de-bunk your argument about certain standard players getting games at top clubs. Says more about our club getting the best out of players more so  than their ability. I reckon Casboult could get picked up by a club anyway. Club s are always on the lookout for a big bloke who can mark. As for Ellard he's just the type a Sydney could get the best out of. We can't but Sydney could.

Laidler could go from our reserves to a flag in one year, as did Mitch Morton from Richmond, Richards, Brown and Bell played in premiership sides.

Reply #23

He had 14 disposals
5 clearances himself.
2 inside 50's

Warnock wasn't among our worst players but he didn't have a genuine opponent for most of the game, and he couldn't manage to take a mark.

Fair call, I have "cooled down" since the game and see your point. But my points on warnock still stand. Should done more and it's not like he can't either, he was in decent form over the last few games.

Reply #24

Not irrelevant at all. Same type of situation. You talk about players of lower standards not getting a game at better clubs then you promptly name quite a few who did. If Laidler can get one, and Teddy Richards at the time got one, and others you talk about got a game after being delisted  it means those you speak about could possibly get one too. All it does is partially de-bunk your argument about certain standard players getting games at top clubs. Says more about our club getting the best out of players more so  than their ability. I reckon Casboult could get picked up by a club anyway. Club s are always on the lookout for a big bloke who can mark. As for Ellard he's just the type a Sydney could get the best out of. We can't but Sydney could.

Laidler could go from our reserves to a flag in one year, as did Mitch Morton from Richmond, Richards, Brown and Bell played in premiership sides.

It's a matter of opinion really, and anything is possible.
For every Ted Richards or Leigh Brown there are dozens of players who are delisted and disappear without a trace, or players who are given an opportunity at another club and last five minutes, Jordan Russell is a case in point.
We've picked up plenty of discards ourself over the last decade and only Carrazzo and Scotland have really managed to make a mark, I could easily list another 30 who came and went without a murmer.
Of all the players we've delisted over the past decade, and there have been plenty, Laidler is the only one who comes to mind who has (so far) managed to hold down a regular spot with a good team.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #25
Buckley, Carrazzo and Ellard.

Buckley;   Looked out of it, shy, timid and nervous. Doubt he was fit to play but we played him.

Carrazzo;  It's over for Carrots, he just doesn't know it yet!

Ellard;  Stiff to be listed, but there were three or four who could have got a vote in the WOG award including Waite, Menzel, Thomas and Gibbs. But Ellard did little enough while he was out there to cope a vote.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #26
So WTF do we continue to play unfit players...  is supercoach and the MC completely stupid or do they dwell in an alternative reality???
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #27
, murphys worst game I have ever seen.

I think I need to get the Foxtel man out, there is obviously something wrong with my reception.......

I bet you a lot of the early votes come from people who have either only listened to the radio and rely on the real time commentary off the AFL website or various twitter accounts for highlights. I have noticed this a lot lately, strange voting, and I reckon a lot of it is because too many past players are getting involved in the media and they do not know players from other clubs and as a result cannot call games reliably.

They get names and facts wrong all the time, add to that the various scrolling commentaries tend to highlight goals and errors.

I talked about in another thread how Dermott Brereton in a call earlier this year asked "Where did they find him?" when calling a Casboult play!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #28
So WTF do we continue to play unfit players...  is supercoach and the MC completely stupid or do they dwell in an alternative reality???

Part of me looks at our list and understands the thought process.

You play your most experienced side, that is best able to cope with implementing "new" players.  That way by the time we need them to step up and handle a best 22 pivotal role which will see us win or lose most weeks, they are not sub 20 game 20 year olds with little experience who show us their worst version of themselves, and they are almost 50 gamers who have a sense of self, and what role they play to the team, and what they must do to ensure they are positive contributers on a weekly basis.  If the newbies are not up to it, they will not necessarily cost you a win, and likewise you will find out information about their limitations.

The problem is, our experienced team are arguably the blokes letting us down most frequently most weeks.  Not saying its the same bloke, but Gibbs gave us a pretty ordinary game on the weekend, and the previous week it was Walker.  Some weeks its been Henderson.  Waite chimed in too.  At the end of the day, the bloke who gives us a bad one might change, but whilst they are coming from that group of contributers odds are we will lose more matches than we will win.  Even with Docherty putting in a career best performance and showing his wares as a ten year player.

This same group are also amongst our least fit guys as they are constantly having a niggle.  Its better for our youngsters to learn in a better environment with cooler and experienced heads leading the way than exposing them altogether like we used to.  Unfortunately, this will take more time, but its the better way to go about it.

Some will disagree with me, but I understand it.  It should fast track their learning too.  Too many youngsters is the way we used to do things.  Lets hope that we have finally gotten to a point where we can not do that and grow faster.  It might just see us bottom out for less time rather than spending another 5 years waiting for players to come on.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson