Skip to main content
Topic: Northern Blues vs. Richmond at Richmond on Sat (Read 10031 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Northern Blues vs. Richmond at Richmond on Sat

Reply #15
How bizarre is our predicament? Hawthorn have Rioli who probably outputs the same as Jeffy (and I challenge anyone who disagrees to go to somewhere like Footywire and compare them statically) yet they can afford to carry the little oxygen thief and we cant.

If garlett did what Rioli did he wouldn't be playing VFL every second week. Seriously I wonder if people here actually watch the sport some time.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #16
"Gointo.." is probably, like most Blues supporters, relatively unimpressed with Rioli because AJ consistently kept him goal-less over the past few seasons! AJ couldn't cement a spot in the team, but by joves, he had Rioli's measure!

Reply #17
Yep Jack Anthony was a late withdrawal left the team ridiculously small.  Jeffy G played a lot up the ground which explains to a point his lack of impact on the scoreboard, but on the other hand doesn't put his relatively small number of possessions in a good light.  Did miss a couple and set Johnson goal up with a beautiful pass but overall not a performance that would have him knocking on the door.  Cachia was again very good and his recent form must have him pressing for a shot.  Not sure he is an AFL quality player but I reckon he deserves a decent run of games to show his wares.  Problem is he is another slowish midfielder and we can't run too many of them.  I think he needs McLean to be out before he can get a run, certainly if Graham is in the team.  Other bright lights were Johnson who deserves a go at some time by years end and I wouldn't object if it were next week, Lucas whose papers may be stamped but is showing decent seconds form and McInnes who has been unimpressive of late but looked more like his old self.
Thanks for the insight, Ian. Hopefully the Prince can find some form soon - we do need him, especially with Betts no longer there.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #18
"Gointo.." is probably, like most Blues supporters, relatively unimpressed with Rioli because AJ consistently kept him goal-less over the past few seasons! AJ couldn't cement a spot in the team, but by joves, he had Rioli's measure!
I have to agree. Rioli is one of the most overrated players to play the game. Yes, he is quick and skilled, but he couldn't pick up a man to save his life.
The player to keep him down is a quick guy who is willing to play close and sacrifice his game if necessary. That is AJ in one. At the moment, most of our smaller defenders tend to run off guys and are not so tight: nothing wrong with them as players, but they don't suit Rioli. Rioli makes assumptions about what is going to happen to the ball, usually that opponents will turn it over and kick it near him on the rebound. Works well with a team like Hawthorn, as their midfield pressure does cause turnovers. He runs forward of the ball and gets a lot of the ball on his own. A man who plays him 1 on 1 and can match him for pace has him covered every time.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #19
I have to agree. Rioli is one of the most overrated players to play the game. Yes, he is quick and skilled, but he couldn't pick up a man to save his life.
The player to keep him down is a quick guy who is willing to play close and sacrifice his game if necessary. That is AJ in one. At the moment, most of our smaller defenders tend to run off guys and are not so tight: nothing wrong with them as players, but they don't suit Rioli. Rioli makes assumptions about what is going to happen to the ball, usually that opponents will turn it over and kick it near him on the rebound. Works well with a team like Hawthorn, as their midfield pressure does cause turnovers. He runs forward of the ball and gets a lot of the ball on his own. A man who plays him 1 on 1 and can match him for pace has him covered every time.
Spot on LSL and Crash, I wonder if people here actually watch the sport some time.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #20
I'd be happy with Rioli in my team....dont expect him to pick anyone up...just kick goals and create for others...
Craig Bradley never picked anyone up in his life but when you are as damaging as he was like Rioli it doesnt matter....

Eddie Betts doesnt play much " D" either but I wouldnt mind him back

Rioli is all class IMO and Garlett is too spasmodic...never seen Rioli pull out of contests either.....

Reply #21
I'd be happy with Rioli in my team....dont expect him to pick anyone up...just kick goals and create for others...
Craig Bradley never picked anyone up in his life but when you are as damaging as he was like Rioli it doesnt matter....

Rioli is all class IMO and Garlett is too spasmodic...never seen Rioli pull out of contests either.....
Each to their own. What I am saying is his performances don't match the hype benefitted to him. He has plenty of tricks, not saying that. So does Jeffy, the same amount but without the hype. If Rioli wasn't in such a good side, I reckon the hype would be much much less, more like Jeffy's.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #22
I started the Betts V Rioli thread a couple of years ago and, in terms of output, there is no comparison of the two. Betts as killed him EVERY SINGLE YEAR THEY HAVE BOTH PLAYED IN THE SAME COMP.

Now he's at Adelaide Bett's might get a bit more recognition, but Rioli will get more because of the Hard work of the rest of the Hawks team.

Rioli's a special talent and can be unbeatable on his day, but gets accolades he hasn't earned.

It comes down to the side you play in. The Motlop who plays for the Cats is not as good as the Motlop who played for Port and Kangas, but they talk about him as a match winner. He isn't the match winner, the rest of the team makes him the match winner. Varcoe the same.

Another example. Commentators ejaculating over Brad Hills performances.

Brad Hill is a very very good player, great runner, good pace, not a bad tackler from behind but he has the EASIEST gig in football.

The opposition coaches put the clamps on the rest of the Hawks runners leaving hill free. He goes missing when it gets hot and has no defensive game. He can't tackle from front on, sticks one arm in packs etc etc.

Put Chris Yarran Brad Hills role at the Hawks and he'd have Bwuce in raptures. Brads brother Stephen is twice the footballer Brad is, Stephen copped two years of tags but now he's at the point that he's almost untaggable.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #23
I agree it's much easier for these smaller and skillful types with explosive speed to perform in the stronger sides.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #24
Rioli gets a good chunk of his possessions by performing chicken wing tackles that Judd would get weeks for!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #25
Rioli gets a good chunk of his possessions by performing chicken wing tackles that Judd would get weeks for!

Rioli is a little sniper.

Reply #26
Can't tell much at this stage, but I did read on twitter that Garlett did some pretty good defensive work. However, you are right, he did not kick a goal and didn't have a huge number of possessions. That puts him under pressure.
Hopefully Baggers and whoever else was there can inform us of how he really did.

Unfortunately, knocked over by the dreaded lurgy today, so didn't make it to Punt Road... damn. Seems Johnson is continuing to improve. Must have been released from the backline to on-ball or forward. Now, back to the lemon juice, vit c and honey... and maybe a brandy or two  :)
Hope you're feeling well soon.  ;)

Thank you, Captain.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #27

There you have it. Nothing more needs be said in the comparison.

I wonder when the umps will wake up to Cyril's chicken wing tackles... the doyen of the 'one arm grab!'.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17