Skip to main content
Topic: Commanding Authority (Read 4198 times) previous topic - next topic

Commanding Authority

I was thinking back to the 2008 to 2011 period and how many times a game was slipping from out grips and Judd would stand up and say I'm not letting this happen and he would throw the entire team on his back and will us to victory.

I have been much happier with this side since the Adelaide game but screw me, what craps me to no end is we never have someone who stands up when it counts. Can't expect the older guys to continue to do it but too often when it's crunch time we give up those 4 goals and no one stands up until it's too late.

It's very disappointing that so many haven't been able to take that step, learning from one of the best in the business in stamping their authority on the game when it's there to be won.

Re: Commanding Authority

Reply #1
We have a unique culture of arrogance and being lazy.
No resources in terms of reserves development provided by the club board and no intense coaching and development at the bullants level.The club thought that with 3 no 1 picks  leaders would come from that fact alone.

Reply #2
I was thinking back to the 2008 to 2011 period and how many times a game was slipping from out grips and Judd would stand up and say I'm not letting this happen and he would throw the entire team on his back and will us to victory.

I have been much happier with this side since the Adelaide game but screw me, what craps me to no end is we never have someone who stands up when it counts. Can't expect the older guys to continue to do it but too often when it's crunch time we give up those 4 goals and no one stands up until it's too late.

It's very disappointing that so many haven't been able to take that step, learning from one of the best in the business in stamping their authority on the game when it's there to be won.

I remember watching him at the G in his first game for us, if not first it was one if the first few, it was against. Melbourne. Such was the gap between him and the rest of our team - I specifically remember as the game started he takes it from the centre runs right down the guts with a bounce or 2 and goals .. I remember thinking FMD this guys several levels above the rest.

Got used to over the years. Your right he carried us on his own. Right up until Ratts left.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #3
@DU no doubt a star but my concern is about the group as a collective being unable to stand up when the opposition is starting tofight back against being dominated

Reply #4
@DU no doubt a star but my concern is about the group as a collective being unable to stand up when the opposition is starting tofight back against being dominated

I agree with u IOT. I think Eddie was one of those that stood up when the tide was turning, and so was Fev but really our cupboard is empty of those types of players that impose their will on a game to halt opposition momentum. It's a worry.. I'm hoping somewhere in the recent draftee group one emerges. Look at the Hawks they've got at least 4 that I can think of. It's a telling deficiency
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #5
Buckley is the one I reckon.

Reply #6
Buckley is the one I reckon.

Yep, certainly has the passion for the jumper, runs deep for this kid.. Fingers crossed he continues to develop

― Mark Twain

Reply #7
We don't have anyone yet, outside of Judd, who looks at the scoreboard late in the game and says to his teammates "follow me" and drags them over the line.

This will change over time as new players are added to the list but right now, it is hard to see a spark coming from anyone anywhere.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #8
Was just watching a lecture on American security policy and strategy, and was thinking of the potential similarities to footy, particularly the topic of this thread.

The theorist explained why The USA feels free to roam world wide exerting its influence. Having become dominant in its own backyard, it feels confident to marshal it's resources into other regions where it prevents other nations from achieving the same level of local dominance in their own regions.

Translate that strategy into footy, if you break the footy field into 3 regions ie back, centre  and forward, and if you had a single player that was capable of providing dominance in 1 of those parts of the ground, the effect on other players within that region is that they feel more confident to drift into other regions of the ground and lend support. It explains why the Judd's and Fev's are/were so important to the side. Their very presence resulted in team mates actively moving into different regions of the ground to lend support. That's what we lack at the moment ie a single player capable of dominating one single region of the ground.

― Mark Twain