Skip to main content
Topic: Blues v GWS - Round 14 - Pre Game thread (Read 26958 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Blues v GWS - Round 14 - Pre Game thread

Reply #60
While I think that there is merit in the idea of giving new players several games to show their stuff without fear of being dropped , there are limits.

Watson has had a few seasons to demonstrate whether he is a genuine AFL player and, at best, he has shown that he can compete.  At worst, he has shown that he lacks the decision making and awareness necessary to play in the AFL.

While I thought that he did show a bit in his last game, he made some terrible mistakes that went a long way towards giving Hawthon a winning edge. 

A coach intent on determining which players represent the future of the club would persevere with Watson, although perhaps with a forward role.  A coach determined to preserve his reputation would not give Watson another opportunity.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #61

A coach intent on determining which players represent the future of the club would persevere with Watson, although perhaps with a forward role.  A coach determined to preserve his reputation would not give Watson another opportunity.

Watson's game last week was abysmal, a coach determining which players represent the future of the club would have seen enough to know that he isn't one of them.
He's now in his fourth season, he's had enough time.
Anyway, Jamison is fit to play so who do you suggest we drop to keep a spot for Watson?
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #62

Watson's game last week was abysmal, a coach determining which players represent the future of the club would have seen enough to know that he isn't one of them.
He's now in his fourth season, he's had enough time.
Anyway, Jamison is fit to play so who do you suggest we drop to keep a spot for Watson?

No, Watson's game wasn't abysmal.  He made a couple of abysmal errors that cost us and missed a goal that he should have kicked but he wasn't our worst player by far.  Even though he is in his fourth season, he hasn't had a decent opportunity to show what he can do.  Perhaps that should have happened a couple of years ago but we're now in a position where we may lose a relatively high draft pick and we don't really know if he is a player. 

Yes, Jamison should come in and leave us one player down while his shoulder and/or calf requires treatment during the game.  A coach concerned about next season and beyond would have Jamison seeing the surgeon now.  However, if Jamison is really right to go, I'd be inclined to give White a spell this week.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #63
However, if Jamison is really right to go, I'd be inclined to give White a spell this week.

Dropping White and keeping Watson in the side would send completely the wrong message to the playing group in my opinion, the message that some players will be selected no matter how badly they play.
We'll probably have to agree to disagree about Watson, some supporters think he may have something to offer but I've seen enough and I don't care whether he was a first round draft pick or a rookie, they are all equal after they run out.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #64
From the 7 man interchange Id chop McLean, Curnow (who id like some games into first after his broken leg) and Johnson. Would love to get games into Johnson at some stage very soon. Just think especially Docherty, Graham and Henderson must be in and think Army should be also.

Reply #65
From the 7 man interchange Id chop McLean, Curnow (who id like some games into first after his broken leg) and Johnson. Would love to get games into Johnson at some stage very soon. Just think especially Docherty, Graham and Henderson must be in and think Army should be also.
What he said! ;D
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #66
As someone who has played team sports, to reward such a lack of intensity for the contest like Watson has would be appalling.

You'll notice that Docherty although has made some errors in recent weeks has WORKED HARD and put his body on the line.  He has shown a thirst to fight for the ball and genuinely has had a crack.

Watson, looked completely out of his depth, and although as the game wore on seemed to start responding better, plays a passionless brand of football and was generally poor as a contributer.  I can wear the being out contested by stronger and more physical opponents, but the shanked kicks and inability to hit targets which is supposedly his strength was by no stretch anywhere near good enough.

He let his teamates down, and is being dropped for it.

He will get another go, and we shall see if he has learned from it.  Will get his full two years, simply because there are no alternatives, and Jamison is a glass man.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #67
However, if Jamison is really right to go, I'd be inclined to give White a spell this week.

Dropping White and keeping Watson in the side would send completely the wrong message to the playing group in my opinion, the message that some players will be selected no matter how badly they play.
We'll probably have to agree to disagree about Watson, some supporters think he may have something to offer but I've seen enough and I don't care whether he was a first round draft pick or a rookie, they are all equal after they run out.

I find it hard to mount a case for Watson. The bloke is just too slow in a fast game. He's slow over the grass and he's got the mental reaction time of a turtle on valium. If he was to play up forward his opponent would become a link man for the rest of the back line as he ran the pill out of our attack with Watson lumbering after him.

Some folks might argue that Meat has taken 4 years to show something after being persevered with BUT from the start Meat showed he was really quick for a big bloke, had great hands and wasn't afraid to throw his weight around... he was held back, as we're beginning to see now, by having -4 on the richter scale of confidence. I've seen him plenty of times dominate in the magoos... the only  time I've seen Watson play well in the magoos is when he has an opponent who's slower than mould growing on cheese.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #68

I find it hard to mount a case for Watson. The bloke is just too slow in a fast game. He's slow over the grass and he's got the mental reaction time of a turtle on valium. If he was to play up forward his opponent would become a link man for the rest of the back line as he ran the pill out of our attack with Watson lumbering after him.

Some folks might argue that Meat has taken 4 years to show something after being persevered with BUT from the start Meat showed he was really quick for a big bloke, had great hands and wasn't afraid to throw his weight around... he was held back, as we're beginning to see now, by having -4 on the richter scale of confidence. I've seen him plenty of times dominate in the magoos... the only  time I've seen Watson play well in the magoos is when he has an opponent who's slower than mould growing on cheese.

True Baggers, I watched Casboult in a practice game in his first year and, while it was a cameo, a couple of very strong marks and a bit of endeavor had me believing that he could be a player.

I haven't seen the same from Watson, apart from his first goal, but someone at the club must be in his corner.  I just think that they're not going about determining whether he is a player in the right way.  I'd like to see him have a couple of games on the trot.  If he doesn't perform, stamp his papers once and for all.

Reply #70

Crazy stuff in my opinion, key forward is a harder position to play and requires more mobility, faster reactions and the ability to change direction quickly, most of us will concede that Henderson is a much better defender than a forward for the same reasons and he's miles ahead of Watson.
It's gut wrenching to see another high Carlton draft pick wasted, particularly after what just happened with Bootsma, but there's no point clinging to false hopes.
Let's hope we've finally got it right.

Reply #72
Curnow, Henderson & Jamison are in the team.

Armfield, Graham & Watson have been axed.

Why the hell was Graham given the subs vest for one game and 5-mins of game time only to see him dropped back to the seconds the next week ??
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #73
Curnow, Henderson & Jamison are in the team.

Armfield, Graham & Watson have been axed.

Why the hell was Graham given the subs vest for one game and 5-mins of game time only to see him dropped back to the seconds the next week ??

Those selections make sense although it could make us a bit top heavy.
Armfield and Watson were both poor last week and getting dropped shouldn't have come as any surprise to them, they need to butter up and play well in the VFL.
Graham is a fringe player at this stage and being in and out of the team shouldn't surprise him either, Curnow was high in our B&F last year and was going well before he was injured, he's a natural in.

Reply #74
Graham wasn't damaging but I thought he was okay when he came on. Especially as he's not really suited to the sub role.

Dropping him against the GWS, not sure about that one.