Skip to main content
Topic: Northern Blues vs. Bendigo Gold at QEO (Read 8103 times) previous topic - next topic

Northern Blues vs. Bendigo Gold at QEO

My computer seems to be betraying me at the moment: I wonder what happened to the first version of this?

Nichevo.

I had plans t attend this game. The Blues were playing GWS in Sydney and I have no pay TV. Therefore it was the logical step.
Alas, Logic had nothing to do with things. Famly issues arose, so my nice plans went down the sanitary facilities on the road to Hell (with many such good intentions).
I will make up for this. The school holidays are coming and I will take the kids to a VFL game sooner rather than later.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Northern Blues vs. Bendigo Gold at QEO

Reply #1
To continue, without my work disappearing into the depths of cyberspace:

Bendigo Gold vs. Northern Blues
Sunday 22nd June
Queen Elizabeth Oval at 1:30pm

Bendigo Gold
B: Hayes Valles Wallin
HB: Mcfarlane Archard J. Collins
C: Aarts Sketcher Stroobants
HF: Byrne Farrelly Downie
F: Heavyside Sheahan L. Collins
R: Redfern Magin Toman
Int: Hough T. Bacon* Walls Pridgeon Lambden Lukich Biffin Donnan

Northern Blues
B: Armfield M. Watson Sheehan
HB: McInnes Anthony Docherty
C: E. Curnow Graham Lucas
HF: B. Johnson Henderson T. Thomas
F: Wilson Bolger Garlett
R: Wood McLean Cachia
Int: D. Watson Temay Dufficy Wilkinson Byrne Totevski Murray J. Gleeson Dirago Cattapan Reynolds McDonald* Holman
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
The Development team are having the weekend off, so this is the only Northern game going. As a result, with 4 guys to go out to go to Sydney, Holman, Reynolds and co are probably going to play.

Even so, the team looks stronger on paper this week - Ed Curnow makes a difference, as will Matty Watson.

Two guys have disappointed me so far, but who haven't been mentioned in dispatches, are Holman and Reynolds. I was expecting more from them this season. {Although I did say I wouldn't have recruited both Holman and Cripps, as they are slower players, but that is another issue.}
Reynolds came to s from Port Adelaide with a pretty good reputation: the smart commentators stated that he was unlucky not to be drafted in the ND. Certainly he has some weapons. However, we haven't seen much of them: not many marks, on the lead or otherwise and few goals. In fact, he has had few disposals of any variety.
I am beginning to have serious questions about this guy, as he isn't making much of a contribution.

Holman I expected to take a while: he may be a very desperate player, but he was quite undeveloped physically last year. I was impressed by the way he played and his attack on the ball in particular, but I was hoping to see more of him by now. Yet he does remain something of a bit player.
Tom Temay hasn't shown a lot, but he has had some really impressive cameos. Holman has been similar: I was hoping to see more consistency by now.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #3
Watson, Armfield and Graham are set to play, as Curnow and Hendo are playing for the Blues. I wouldn't have done that, but .....
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #4
The Development team are having the weekend off, so this is the only Northern game going. As a result, with 4 guys to go out to go to Sydney, Holman, Reynolds and co are probably going to play.

Even so, the team looks stronger on paper this week - Ed Curnow makes a difference, as will Matty Watson.

Two guys have disappointed me so far, but who haven't been mentioned in dispatches, are Holman and Reynolds. I was expecting more from them this season. {Although I did say I wouldn't have recruited both Holman and Cripps, as they are slower players, but that is another issue.}
Reynolds came to s from Port Adelaide with a pretty good reputation: the smart commentators stated that he was unlucky not to be drafted in the ND. Certainly he has some weapons. However, we haven't seen much of them: not many marks, on the lead or otherwise and few goals. In fact, he has had few disposals of any variety.
I am beginning to have serious questions about this guy, as he isn't making much of a contribution.

Holman I expected to take a while: he may be a very desperate player, but he was quite undeveloped physically last year. I was impressed by the way he played and his attack on the ball in particular, but I was hoping to see more of him by now. Yet he does remain something of a bit player.
Tom Temay hasn't shown a lot, but he has had some really impressive cameos. Holman has been similar: I was hoping to see more consistency by now.

Holman and Cripps.......you can thank Freo and their oversized mids for both these players....we are fairly small onball without Judd and needed some bigger bodies.
Both Cripps and Holman are not quick but will put their head over the ball, have seen enough of Cripps to say he will be a player and a very good one.
Holman is very honest, contests well but his achillies heel is his kicking IMO...quick slam it on the boot type stuff along the lines of Priddis but Holman needs to get it 30 plus times likes Pridds
does every game to be effective. IMO Holman will probably start his senior career across half back and work his way to a onball/midfield role....he has enough grunt to make it but will cause some angst with
some turnovers by foot...

Temay....no weapons and is small....a very ordinary pick given the state of the list and I said so when he was drafted.

Reynolds....yep I was happy with his recruiting as he has the one weapon that most of our list dont and thats a deadly left foot but as you suggest Crash not much
use if you cant get the footy...his future would be in doubt if he cant get more intense and get more of the footy...we dont have the depth to afford cameo players and thats all he is
at the minute. The hard running, physical nature of the AFL game isnt his go by the look of it and he needs a big preseason and change of attitude..

Reply #5
Watson, Armfield and Graham are set to play, as Curnow and Hendo are playing for the Blues. I wouldn't have done that, but .....

AFL.com has Hendo, Jamo and Curnow in...

Reply #7

AFL.com has Hendo, Jamo and Curnow in...

He is talking about playing in the VFL.

:-[ so he is...

Reply #8
Some good news: Northern Blues d Bendigo Gold by 5 points, with a goal to Holman on the siren.

GOALS: Byrne 2, Garlett 2, Lucas, Cachia, Thomas, Dufficy, Graham, Reynolds, Johnson, Wood, Watson, Holman

Considering that we should really have killed this mob....
A win is a win is a win.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #9
Some good news: Northern Blues d Bendigo Gold by 5 points, with a goal to Holman on the siren.

GOALS: Byrne 2, Garlett 2, Lucas, Cachia, Thomas, Dufficy, Graham, Reynolds, Johnson, Wood, Watson, Holman

A win is a win is a win.

Bendigo are so bad that is as good as a loss.

Saying this is good news is as good as making an apology for the club!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #10
Bendigo Gold   4.1  7.2  11.5  14.6 (90)
Northern Blues   5.3  8.5  11.8  14.11 (95)
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #11

A win is a win is a win.

Bendigo are so bad that is as good as a loss.

Saying this is good news is as good as making an apology for the club!
It came within seconds of being a loss and that would not be an apology for anything.
To be honest, with the lineup we can manage to get onto the park, we are doing well to win at any time. We really need a cleanout, but there is no guarantee that anyone we get past the 2nd round is going to be any better than what we already have.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #12
DISPOSALS: Graham 30, Holman 20, Cattapan 19, Lucas 19, Thomas 17

I put the question to Holman and he responded, including the winning goal at the end of the game. I wish some others could respond like that.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #13
Wow! Now that's a game we should have won by 50+ pts... No depth. Be interesting to see who the better players are and who might come in to face a stung Rottingwood next week.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #14
2014 Peter Jackson VFL
Bendigo Gold   4.1  7.2  11.5  14.6 (90)
Northern Blues   5.3  8.5  11.8  14.11 (95)

GOALS:
Bendigo Gold: Stroobants 5 Magin 3 Toman 3 Lukich  Collins  Aarts
Northern Blues: Garlett 2 Byrne 2 Lucas  Dufficy  Watson  Cachia  Thomas Johnson  Wood  Reynolds  Holman  Graham

BEST:
Bendigo Gold: Stroobants Magin Valles Sketcher Toman Wallin
Northern Blues: Dirago McInnes Watson Reynolds Graham Thomas

Interesting best players considering Graham had about 30 possessions.
Live Long and Prosper!