Skip to main content
Topic: Round 1 2015 (Read 69371 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 1 2015

Reply #15
Question: Can Walker be the extra big bodied mid we need in the guts? Used at HB and HF, can he be part of the midfield full time next year with some tweaking of the lineup and some upcoming drafting? 190cm and has a big tank.

1AW is not a lateral movement type, I cannot see him succeeding in the midfield.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #16
Can we wait to see who we have on our list 1st?!!   :o   :)
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #17
My point is things like this affect how we delist and draft/trade.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #18

Fair enough, I think a look at our depth chart shows we have a bit of a shortage in our KPP dept.
So I understand why we are chasing Jaksch and I would imagine we will probably try to get another KPP as well in the draft with 1 of our 1st couple of picks.

We're also a bit short on small forwards, especially if Jeffy leaves and Menzel moves in to the midfield.

We do have depth in the midfield, but the quality drops off quicker than I would like.

It's hard to fix every thing at once !!

Reply #19

Fair enough, I think a look at our depth chart shows we have a bit of a shortage in our KPP dept.
So I understand why we are chasing Jaksch and I would imagine we will probably try to get another KPP as well in the draft with 1 of our 1st couple of picks.

We're also a bit short on small forwards, especially if Jeffy leaves and Menzel moves in to the midfield.

We do have depth in the midfield, but the quality drops off quicker than I would like.

Judd, Carrazzo, Brock all going at the end of next season is going to hurt our midfield in terms of experience......you will have Murphy, Gibbs and then a big gap to the next best mid...Bell, Graham, Buckley, Cripps , Holman, Curnow...that lot wont be troubling Sydney for a few seasons..I can see why we are chasing Mitchell to try and get some A grade support for Gibbs and Murphy, but he too is still a novice.

Reply #20
No love for Daisy EB1?!

What you say is also a good reason to bring in someone like Higgins IMO, assuming he can run through the midfield a bit !!

Reply #21

Amers if you look at the opening post I made, my side has no Waite, Robbo or Jeffy as I assume they are gornski.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #22
No love for Daisy EB1?!

What you say is also a good reason to bring in someone like Higgins IMO, assuming he can run through the midfield a bit !!
If Walker and Yazz could spend more time in the midfield, Sheehan and/or Tuoey  replace Yazz as running defenders. Plenty of others can replace Walker defensively.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #23
Amers if you look at the opening post I made, my side has no Waite, Robbo or Jeffy as I assume they are gornski.

Mate I'm not totally sure I understand what you are asking!

Looking at your best 22, firstly I'm not sure if I would have Kreuzer, Wood and Casboult in the same team. I would probably drop Wood for the next best mid and going by your emergencies that would be Graham.

IF we were to trade in Jaksch and Mitchell, then Jaksch would have to be a chance of replacing Watson in that team, and Mitchell would probably get in  ahead of everyone on the bench and maybe Carrazzo.

Looking at your best 22, Higgins might find it hard to break in, but I reckon he would be an emergency and would still likely play 12-15 games per year due to injuries unless he had 1 of his own!

Reply #24
Why recruit someone over 25 if they are going to be a fringe player?

Reply #26

Mate I'm not totally sure I understand what you are asking!

Looking at your best 22, firstly I'm not sure if I would have Kreuzer, Wood and Casboult in the same team. I would probably drop Wood for the next best mid and going by your emergencies that would be Graham.

IF we were to trade in Jaksch and Mitchell, then Jaksch would have to be a chance of replacing Watson in that team, and Mitchell would probably get in  ahead of everyone on the bench and maybe Carrazzo.

Looking at your best 22, Higgins might find it hard to break in, but I reckon he would be an emergency and would still likely play 12-15 games per year due to injuries unless he had 1 of his own!
Wood was probably an error. What I was trying to gauge was peoples thoughts on how far off we are from turning it around. Now this may sound crazy given the year that we have had however I will say to anyway. I reckon with a few tweaks and some clever drafting/trading, I reckon we can turn it around quite quickly. Our spine isn't half bad. We have Jamo who can to very well agains the big feds, Rowe developed into an good solid partner for Jamo, Gibbs was finally played in the guts, Hendo when fit can hold down CHF, Levi at FF marks everything, if he could just learn to kick over the summer FFS. If we could bolster up the midfield, say by including Yazz and 1AW to it, or drafting something in (not forking Higgins either), I reckon we can continue to improve very quickly.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #27
No love for Daisy EB1?!

No love in the midfield for him Amers...not at this stage anyway...played his best footy off half back this season and I dont view him as midfield anymore now he lacks a yard of pace and has fitness issues.
He can still be a good player for us and go into the midfield every now and then but I dont think his body will hold up if he has to play 22 games in the middle like Gibbs and Murphy for example will have to....

re: Higgins....like Thomas I wouldnt see Higgins as midfield either....maybe can run through that area every now and then but he is also injury prone and I think his best work would be done as a forward
who runs on the ball as a secondary role.......think he will end up at North as his price might have scared us off...

Reply #28
Wood was probably an error. What I was trying to gauge was peoples thoughts on how far off we are from turning it around. Now this may sound crazy given the year that we have had however I will say to anyway. I reckon with a few tweaks and some clever drafting/trading, I reckon we can turn it around quite quickly. Our spine isn't half bad. We have Jamo who can to very well agains the big feds, Rowe developed into an good solid partner for Jamo, Gibbs was finally played in the guts, Hendo when fit can hold down CHF, Levi at FF marks everything, if he could just learn to kick over the summer FFS. If we could bolster up the midfield, say by including Yazz and 1AW to it, or drafting something in (not forking Higgins either), I reckon we can continue to improve very quickly.

I agree that we may be able to turn things around quickly. Our best 22 I believe can match most if not all teams.

For me, the issue is list depth, and consistency which is a completely separate issue.

A good run with no injuries would reduce our depth issue. Surely we have to become more consistent eventually !!

And hopefully this might be enough to see us do some damage in Sept next year !! :)

Reply #29
No love for Daisy EB1?!

No love in the midfield for him Amers...not at this stage anyway...played his best footy off half back this season and I dont view him as midfield anymore now he lacks a yard of pace and has fitness issues.
He can still be a good player for us and go into the midfield every now and then but I dont think his body will hold up if he has to play 22 games in the middle like Gibbs and Murphy for example will have to....

re: Higgins....like Thomas I wouldnt see Higgins as midfield either....maybe can run through that area every now and then but he is also injury prone and I think his best work would be done as a forward
who runs on the ball as a secondary role.......think he will end up at North as his price might have scared us off...

I understand what your saying about Daisy, but I disagree.

I still have hopes that he will get back to pre injury form. Give him a full pre-season and I (like many, I would guess!) am hoping that he will be back up and running, like we know he can.

I would like to see him coming off the wing much of the time with Some stints in the middle. Rest him up forward.

EDIT. I just reread your original post, are you referring to centre square/clearance players?
I'm sorry, I was including wingers as a part of the midfield, but I see you didn't mention Yarran either! Actually If that is how you are seeing it, I'm a bit surprised you had Buckley on your list !! I reckon he would be more likely to play off a wing than out of the square.

After seeing that Higgins would struggle to be in our best 22, I've cooled on him a little bit.
I doubt he would be a high priority, and I certainly don't want to be paying overs for him.
IF we got him cheap (unlikely) I wouldn't be upset!