Skip to main content
Topic: Round 1 2015 (Read 69360 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 1 2015

Reply #30
I think there is a higher probability that we fall further back next year. If Waite goes and we have a few injuries to the wrong players we don't have the depth to be consistently competitive. Next season is time for developing the young players by getting more game time into Menzel (in the midfield), Cripps, Graham, Holman, Giles and whoever we take at pick 6 this year.

Reply #31
I think there is a higher probability that we fall further back next year. If Waite goes and we have a few injuries to the wrong players we don't have the depth to be consistently competitive. Next season is time for developing the young players by getting more game time into Menzel (in the midfield), Cripps, Graham, Holman, Giles and whoever we take at pick 6 this year.

Holman and Giles are a long way off, Cripps has the tools to be a player but not the fitness/endurance at this stage...Graham is probably the only player who I would say has progressed into being a possibility of making a senior AFL player....I think Cripps will make it but may need next season to get a decent fitness base..
Even if Waite stays I dont see him as the future and would have a new forward line plan with some new forwards...

Reply #32

Holman and Giles are a long way off, Cripps has the tools to be a player but not the fitness/endurance at this stage...Graham is probably the only player who I would say has progressed into being a possibility of making a senior AFL player....I think Cripps will make it but may need next season to get a decent fitness base..
Even if Waite stays I dont see him as the future and would have a new forward line plan with some new forwards...
Agreed, they're probably not ready yet but they will develop better by getting 10 games each in the seniors next year - not necessarily all together at the same time though. They need seniors exposure at some point, may as well let them learn some hard lessons while we're not really contending for the flag (after yesterday I think it should be clear how far off the pace we are right now). Let them appreciate the work rates of players from Hawthorn, Sydney, Port and Freo by having to chase them.

Reply #33
I feel like have no idea what to expect next year. This time last year I felt we were going to be poor-average team at best for 2014 and that's where we were. This year with the finish the boys had (minus the port no-show) showed signs we had somewhat turned the corner.

I just want to see top four commitment and application next year, that's something every single player is capable of. I still don't believe that every team bar Hawthorn and Sydney have that much better of a team than us. It is more of an effort and attitude thing that we lag badly behind in.

If we can just start well, get some confidence up and then you never know.

Reply #34
I feel like have no idea what to expect next year. This time last year I felt we were going to be poor-average team at best for 2014 and that's where we were. This year with the finish the boys had (minus the port no-show) showed signs we had somewhat turned the corner.

I just want to see top four commitment and application next year, that's something every single player is capable of. I still don't believe that every team bar Hawthorn and Sydney have that much better of a team than us. It is more of an effort and attitude thing that we lag badly behind in.

We need to be able to bring our best for 120mins for 22 weeks (minimum), its that simple.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #35

We need to be able to bring our best for 120mins for 22 weeks (minimum), its that simple.

Pretty much, spot on. If we can play with Hawthorns attitude, application, intent and effort, the skills would be less of an issue for us. I don't have a great feeling about 2015 yet. It will all depend on how we trade and draft IMO. It appears it isn't easy to change attitudes, and a better idea to bring the right stock into the squad. It may lift the others to work harder.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #36
FB:    Buckley   Jamison   Rowe
HB:    Yarran   Jaksch   Docherty
C:    Simpson   Judd   Thomas
HF:   Jones   Henderson   Cripps
FF:   Menzel   Casboult   Murphy
Foll:   Kreuzer   Gibbs   Whiley
I/C:   Wood   Walker   Everrit   Carrazzo      
Emg:   Warnock   White   Graham   Armfield

Reply #37

Wood out for me...only need 1/2 ruckman ie Casboult =1/2, Graham will play IMO as Rodgers indicate re Brock situation that they want
to play Graham and Cripps in the seniors.

Reply #38
You know your list has potential when Walker and Everitt start on the bench. ;D
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #39
not sure we can pick our best 22 this far out.

team has certainly been De-stablised

Reply #40
Best 22 looks solid but we are light on for depth and pace.  Its a long season; Mick's right we need 30 senior capable blokes.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #41
Best 22 looks solid but we are light on for depth and pace.  Its a long season; Mick's right we need 30 senior capable blokes.

Of course Mick is right. We have the best man in the business! Im glad we got him and didnt persist with Ratten!

Reply #42

Jones , Henderson and Cripps is a slow half forward line...defenders will be running off those players with ease.......reckon Walker would need to start at HF ahead of Cripps.

Reply #43
FB:    Buckley    Rowe        Jaksch
HB:    Yarran   Jamison   Simpson
C:    Docherty    Judd    Murphy
HF:   Walker    Henderson   Thomas
FF:   Menzel     Jones       Casboult   
Foll:   Kreuzer      Gibbs      Whiley
I/C:   Cripps       Graham   Everrit   Carrazzo      
Emg: Wood    White    Tuohy    Curnow

Reply #44

Jaksch will be used as a 3rd tall until his body fully develops, he won't be holding down centre half back(or forward) from day 1.

I think Simpsons days on a wing are over, I reckon it's half back for Simmo from now on.

Swap Simmo with Yarran.

For the moment at least, Cripps plays in the guts or on the bench, he may need to learn to play forward as his career progresses.

Walker, Jones & Menzel would be my HF line.

You're putting a lot of faith in Whiley up front, for me he is competing with Cripps, Bell and Graham for his spot, with no clear winner.

At full strength, I cant fit all of Touhy, Carrots, Everitt, Curnow, Bell, Graham, Whiley and Cripps in the best 22.

Not to mention Shehan, Armfield, Holman and pick 19.

We are slowly building some depth !!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!