Skip to main content
Topic: Round 1 2015 (Read 69558 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rnd 1/Best 22 2015

Reply #165
Lewis vs Curnow....daylight IMO in terms of ability, the former is a harder more aggressive player who is a better kick, hits the scoreboard and is a AA player...
Ed might have him covered in terms of endurance/tank etc but Lewis is a much better footballer IMO.
Then you have the leadership Lewis provides and as we all knowhe  is a nasty customer on the field which we could do with....
Put Lewis in our team and we would be top 8  and he would probably be the captain.....IMO..

Reply #166
Lewis vs Curnow....daylight IMO in terms of ability, the former is a harder more aggressive player who is a better kick, hits the scoreboard and is a AA player...
Ed might have him covered in terms of endurance/tank etc but Lewis is a much better footballer IMO.
Then you have the leadership Lewis provides and as we all knowhe  is a nasty customer on the field which we could do with....
Put Lewis in our team and we would be top 8  and he would probably be the captain.....IMO..

Agree - if the Hawks offered to swap Curnow for Lewis I would bite their hand off!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #167
Problem with Curnow is the he does nothing else but tag and lacks an offensive game....the best taggers I have seen like a Cameron Ling work both ways...players like Jordan Lewis and Dan Hanneberry can tag and get a kick and we need something better than Curnow if we are to prosper.
I hope Whiley can bring an offensive game along with his tackling/tagging work and give us another player who can get the ball 25 plus times a game.....
Its very hard to carry one dimensional players these days....

I have to disagree EB; Curnow often racks up impressive disposal (and tackle) numbers while blanketing his opponent.  However, I think that we don't get always good value from his disposals.  I'm not sure that it's really down to him; giving him support and more and better options to target could improve his effectiveness.

I reckon that Curnow would be as good as, if not better than Lewis if he was playing for the Hawks.

Love your work most of the time DJC but sheesh you're way off the mark here. Two different players altogether, not only in style but in class.

Put Lewis in our team and watch how his game would deteriorate!

I don't mean that Curnow is the same type of player as Lewis.  Curnow's strengths are his endurance and tackling.  Put him in a team like Hawthorn where the defensive workload is more evenly shared - both through personnel and structures - and the other aspects of his game would blossom.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #168
I'm not sure how Curnow and Lewis are a comparison. I myself feel Lewis has for more to offer a side than Curnow does, and has all the leadership skills, mongrel, and football skills to make him an "A" grader. In fact he can win a game of footy for his side off his own boot. Curnow is not in his league and probably might not ever get there either.  Sure Curnow, at the Hawks would be a far better player. Having the support around him would help his game. for certain Lewis in our group would suffer the same issues Judd and Thomas would have trying to carry the entire squad.

Having them in the same side would see Lewis as a polished performer and an "A" grade elite, and Curnow being a try hard workhorse. Curnow does work hard, but he isn't in the league of Lewis. I can't see the point of the comparison. Be like comparing Bell with Sam Mitchell.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #169
This has become a bit of a pick on Curnow session.

He's alright for a rookie who cost us nothing and is a pretty good tagger.

I'd imagine he'd be in the best 22 right now as Malthouse does seem to like locking down a player or 5 from the opposition. Though he never used to do that at Collingwood.

Back to the best 22 - I think the midfield lacks depth bigtime, the backline actually looks pretty decent but the forward line is full of unproven quantities. Waite, Betts and Garlett are all gone. That makes it tough. Replacements all have potential but we've got a solid history of taking potential and setting fire to it.

Reply #170
Carltons starting midfield.

Kreuzer, Judd, Gibbs, Murphy. Yarran and Daisy on the wings.

Don't worry about depth for the moment, how may other clubs could beat that midfield?

Not many, I would guess.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #171
Carltons starting midfield.

Kreuzer, Judd, Gibbs, Murphy. Yarran and Daisy on the wings.

Don't worry about depth for the moment, how may other clubs could beat that midfield?

Not many, I would guess.

Its a good midfield on paper......heavily reliant on Judd to do the dirty work in the packs though...
It will also be interesting to see how Gibbs copes with being our best player now and cops the heavy tags like Murphy and Judd have over the past few seasons....

Judd is in his last season so we need an apprentice to step up and start to take his role....Cripps and Bell are the contenders with Cripps starting favorite and I'd like to see him rotate
with Judd during games and learn the role from the master....
Yarran and Daisy are the cream..I think the other four including Kruezer need to be the meat and spuds players who get it done each week....

Re: Round 1 2015

Reply #172
Best team 2015

Docherty Jamison Jaksch
Touhey Rowe Simpson
Yarran Gibbs Everritt
Kreuzer Murphy Judd
Thomas Henderson Walker
Jones Casboult Menzel

Bell, Buckley, Curnow, Whiley

Reply #173
Best team 2015

Docherty Jamison Jaksch
Touhey Rowe Simpson
Yarran Gibbs Everritt
Kreuzer Murphy Judd
Thomas Henderson Walker
Jones Casboult Menzel

Really excited about the list, got some really good height about it, some good in and under players, outside run and good depth. Drafted some very good people into the Club and have a real focus on Team Spirit. Can’t wait to see the development of Cripps, Boekhorst, Buckley, Menzel and others, go the Blues  :)

Reply #174
Best team 2015

Docherty Jamison Jaksch
Touhey Rowe Simpson
Yarran Gibbs Everritt
Kreuzer Murphy Judd
Thomas Henderson Walker
Jones Casboult Menzel

Really excited about the list, got some really good height about it, some good in and under players, outside run and good depth. Drafted some very good people into the Club and have a real focus on Team Spirit. Can’t wait to see the development of Cripps, Boekhorst, Buckley, Menzel and others, go the Blues  :)

The light at the end of the tunnel is approaching very rapidly, it's looking good is 2015.

Just hope it's not a freight train coming the other way ;)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #175
Best team 2015

Docherty Jamison Jaksch
Touhey Rowe Simpson
Yarran Gibbs Everritt
Kreuzer Murphy Judd
Thomas Henderson Walker
Jones Casboult Menzel

The light at the end of the tunnel is approaching very rapidly, it's looking good is 2015.

Just hope it's not a freight train coming the other way ;)

:D

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #176
You would have swapped pick 7 for Jaksch and pick 19?  :o :o :o

Glad that wasn't the club's opinion....

I think the club wanted Brokebeers at pick #7, knew he would drop all the way to pick #19 so decided to cash on on that. At least we don't have to listen to development excuses for him next season as he idea is he's ready made to go. Obviously he doesn't have to kill it, but needs to cement a spot in the side.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #177

I think the club wanted Brokebeers at pick #7, knew he would drop all the way to pick #19 so decided to cash on on that. At least we don't have to listen to development excuses for him next season as he idea is he's ready made to go. Obviously he doesn't have to kill it, but needs to cement a spot in the side.

I think the pressure will be on Boakhurst. The club targeted him as a more mature player who could make an immediate impact. Pressure will definitely be on.

Reply #178
There will be some obvious expectations from Boekhorst to be a player that can be a ready starter and contribute. Far more than a regular young rookie, but it sounds like he might have the talent to surprise a few from his early games. No he can't be expected to be a match winning player, but a definite contributor.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #179

Carrots, I have seen this kid play league in the WAFL against very good opposition and believe me he can play, he is so fast and excitting I recon the Blues got a ripper here ;)