Skip to main content
Topic: Simon White - 2015 (Read 9905 times) previous topic - next topic

Simon White - 2015

I don't understand why this bloke cops so much heat from supporters.

He hasn't played 50 games yet, mostly due to injuries, so we have only ever had glimpses of what he can do. But when fit he looks more than capable of mixing it with the best in the league.

For example, here is a head to head between White, Tuohy, Everitt and Casboult. Keeping in mind White and Tuohy play mostly back which naturally attracts less rating points.

FinalSiren

White's record doesn't justify the beating he cops!
The Force Awakens!

Re: Simon White - 2015

Reply #1
I've always thought he was a pretty good player.

Has what most of our players lack.

MM Turning him into a tagger of mids is an interesting development as I clearly remember a former Carlton coach suggesting he had the tools (if not the tank) to be a mid fielder.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #2
I don't understand why this bloke cops so much heat from supporters.

He hasn't played 50 games yet, mostly due to injuries, so we have only ever had glimpses of what he can do. But when fit he looks more than capable of mixing it with the best in the league.

For example, here is a head to head between White, Tuohy, Everitt and Casboult. Keeping in mind White and Tuohy play mostly back which naturally attracts less rating points.

FinalSiren

White's record doesn't justify the beating he cops!
White has developed from a fill in the gaps guy to a very useful member of our team. He is not going to a champion: he is definitely a member of our 'role player' brigade. However, he is an honest performer who is still improving. We have a lot of guys who cannot claim that.
For a while I wondered if there was going to be a spot for him, especially as he was so plagued by injuries. However, he has shown that he deserves to be there. He has shown more intensity than Everitt, more nous than Casboult, and better disposal than Murphy. He has shown determination. There are plenty of guys with more talent who have done a lot less.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #3
I've been on the White bandwagon for a while now. The reason is that he plays football the way it should be played...especially under Mick Malthouse.

You don't have to be blessed with the best football skills in the world, you just need to give your all and put your head over the ball and do what the coach asks of you. If the rest of our, more skilled, players did the same, we'd be finals bound.

Reply #4
I wasnt a fan but he has improved and is a good Indian to have on the list because he does apply himself to the task and gives honest effort.
Would be one of the first picked each week IMO and he would appeal to Mick as a versatile trouble shooter who the coach can play on a variety of players.

Reply #5
He is one of the few guys who can play on talls and smalls.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #6
I've been a bit ambivalent about him in the past but I think now he has something very positive to offer - is he leadership material? Certainly from the way he applies himself he is.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #7
For what we gave to get him it has been an inspired pickup.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #8
He's the type of player some folk might say "You'll never win a premiership with Simon White in your side."

The fact is you don't win a premiership without a few of those type of players ;)

Reply #9
He's the type of player some folk might say "You'll never win a premiership with Simon White in your side."

The fact is you don't win a premiership without a few of those type of players ;)

As long as you have the necessary number of A Graders as well Lods!  ;)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #10
Don't mind White, he brings both size and aggression which is something we lack. He's not going to do the right thing 9 times out of 10 no matter the circumstances though, which is something we sadly have in abundance.

Reply #11
With all these posts it's hard to work out where the negativity comes form.

One thing is for sure, based on these opinions, there should be quite a few others out the door before White! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #12
Don't mind White, he brings both size and aggression which is something we lack. He's not going to do the right thing 9 times out of 10 no matter the circumstances though, which is something we sadly have in abundance.

That is VERY harsh on the bloke.

Reply #13
That is VERY harsh on the bloke.

I think what IOT was saying is he 'needs' to do the right thing nine times out of ten (meaning he's probably doing it 7-8 times out of ten ;))

Not that he 'doesn't' do the right thing nine times out of ten....which would be harsh (meaning he only does it one time out of ten) ;D

Reply #14
With all these posts it's hard to work out where the negativity comes form.

One thing is for sure, based on these opinions, there should be quite a few others out the door before White! ;)

The folk who don't rate him haven't bothered to post . . . yet!

I think that White's biggest problem is that he is more often than not used to fill a gap and hasn't been allowed to settle into a role.  His versatility is a strength but it's also holding him back.

I would play him as a lead up forward with spells in the midfield rotation.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball