Skip to main content
Topic: Marc Murphy launches a defence of his season and vows to break free of tags (Read 21209 times) previous topic - next topic

Marc Murphy launches a defence of his season and vows to break free of tags

Marc Murphy launches a defence of his season and vows to break free of tags

Read Article

MARC Murphy has launched a spirited defence of his season, vowing to break the tagging shackles despite battling an ongoing knee problem.

Murphy this week revealed his right knee has required constant management this year, restricting him to one training session a week

Time to tip him out I reckon.   I reckon he came back too early from the jaw injury because as the Captain he wanted to do the right thing.

We have seen what he can do in his 2011 All-Australian season, and he just is struggling to play at that level.

Get it right for next season.

Re: Marc Murphy launches a defence of his season and vows to break free of tags

Reply #1
I agree, finals are gone, let's just tip him out and play the kids. That means full games into the likes of Buckley, Graham and possibly Menzel.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #2
Just on this, it sort of contradicts what MM has had to say does it not? MM told him to toughen up and two days later he's come out saying he's got a bung knee?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #3
Much respect for Marc toughing it out this season with a broken jaw and bung knee, some players sook over a sore toe.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #4
Just on this, it sort of contradicts what MM has had to say does it not? MM told him to toughen up and two days later he's come out saying he's got a bung knee?

Perhaps, but I have been to two of the open training sessions this season (the most recent one was less than four weeks ago) and that day I did not sight Marc Murphy, Andrew Carrazzo, nor Chris Judd training with the main group.  Most of the others were there.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #5
Much respect for Marc toughing it out this season with a broken jaw and bung knee, some players sook over a sore toe.

First of all - it was a cheekbone, second of all, if his knee has been so bung that even his 2 week layoff with the cheekbone didn't help it at all.....whereby in fact since coming back from the cheekbone he's looked lame almost......well then - he gets absolutely no kudos from me for labouring with an injury which prevents him training a full week, every week & is causing his onfield performances to drop below an acceptable level. If you're injured, can barely train & this is clearly reflected on gameday for all & sundry to see AND to the detriment of the team.....I'm hardly gonna be congratulating him for that. You're easily pleased mbb......
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #6
If he is injured he shouldnt be playing......he couldnt catch Crowley so that knee must be bad.
Why you would keep playing one of our best players in a year when we have no chance of winning a GF is beyond me....we have other player players to captain
the team and I would be resting him for the rest of the season.

Reply #7

Agree, he's three feet nothing, decent, fair player, captain and look like a 12 year old boy. Always going to be an easy target for opposition slime balls.

Reply #8

First of all - it was a cheekbone, second of all, if his knee has been so bung that even his 2 week layoff with the cheekbone didn't help it at all.....whereby in fact since coming back from the cheekbone he's looked lame almost......well then - he gets absolutely no kudos from me for labouring with an injury which prevents him training a full week, every week & is causing his onfield performances to drop below an acceptable level. If you're injured, can barely train & this is clearly reflected on gameday for all & sundry to see AND to the detriment of the team.....I'm hardly gonna be congratulating him for that. You're easily pleased mbb......

The history of AFL footy is filled with stories of players playing through injury, rightly or wrongly. If he pulled out with a sore knee we'd all be complaining that he's a sooky la la.

Reply #9
so why isnt graham playing?

Reply #10

Agree, it has been obvious to anyone who watches Carlton in detail that Murphy has been carrying a problem for more than half the season so far. He has had zero ability to break away for most of the season, looks slow by his standard and lacks agility. I reckon something went wrong after about Rnd 7 or 8, at that time he started playing more forward than anything else.

As for his season, if Port drop back you rest him up and try to get to the finals without him, so he can have his best chance in a final. If North draw level or if Port go another game ahead it would be season over for Murph, we cannot bridge the gap to North's percentage and if Port get an upset win over one of the two top sides they must play it's over, imho!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #11
It's over anyway. If it's as bad as murph says it is why flog a dead horse?
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #12
so why isnt graham playing?

Its Malthouses way to protect the player from a baptism of fire so to speak.

Something that pretty much our entire list has had to do, except for our most recent couple of draft periods.

It will at least ensure that they are fit enough, durable, reliable and most importantly can play their role to a tee.  Its also why we look at some clubs, and we state, they have "found another one" pretty much every time they bring in a new player.

I have looked at Collingwood's "debutants" over the last few years, and unless they are drafted as "ready made" AFL players that acclimatise quickly, they always come in through the VFL with the Pies and play no more than about 10 games in their first couple of seasons at the club, and most of those are towards the end of those two years.

Its something that we stated we could only start doing about 1.5 years ago.

I think back to Jeffy and Mitch when they first started.  Played thier first 3 games at high level intensity and suffered a burnout of sorts and then got dropped.  This seems to have occurred with a few of our players, and in most cases they have come back a bit "fragile".  They will get their chances.

Im confident that guys wont just be given matches for the sake of getting games into them, but to ensure that the experience is a good one.  Something that we have not been able to do over the last little bit of the journey.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #13
With former captain Chris Judd closer to the end than the beginning, Murphy is aware the taggers are lining up behind Crowley to take his scalp, most likely continuing with Bulldog Liam Picken on Saturday night.
"I'm looking forward to copping another one soon and dealing with it better," he said.
Talk is cheap, time for action!

I hope he can do it and lift the team in the process.  If he gets his pants pulled down again it won't end well.
Reality is an illusion, caused by a lack of alcohol...

Reply #14
With former captain Chris Judd closer to the end than the beginning, Murphy is aware the taggers are lining up behind Crowley to take his scalp, most likely continuing with Bulldog Liam Picken on Saturday night.
"I'm looking forward to copping another one soon and dealing with it better," he said.
Talk is cheap, time for action!

I hope he can do it and lift the team in the process.  If he gets his pants pulled down again it won't end well.

The rest of the guys need to give him a hand though as well - they were queing up to whack Geary in the Saints game - that's what we need more of.
Reality always wins in the end.