Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge: Carlton vs. Sydney at Etihad (Read 59485 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NAB Challenge: Carlton vs. Sydney at Etihad

Reply #270
Our defenders need to take a leaf out of JW's book. Watch the ball, read the play, attack the footy and either kill the contest or mark the thing. Jamo, Rowe, 2E all man watch, get star struck by the likes of Buddy and never really get into contest. Back yourselves fellas and watch the confidence come back.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #271
We all see things a bit differently but I though Jamo was exposed trying to cover Rowe who lost his opponent far too frequently and that Rowe was the reason Jamo looked bad.

Fair play to Rowe who hits each contest like it's his last but he either wins it or loses it, and not much in between.

Jamison has no confidence in his shoulders.   None.  Saw him go to spoil and it looked like he did all he could to keep his arm locked in place and prevent pain before it came.

Both of them look to be on their last legs.

That's true Thry, and you get a different perspective if you're at the game or watching on TV.

In fact, Rowe stood Buddy for longer than Jamison did and managed to neutralise most contests.  Weitering actually won his one on ones with Buddy and that's quite an achievement for the young fellow.  Jamison managed to neutralise Buddy on several occasions and really only lost contests when he gave Buddy too much space.

Our zone defence gave Buddy a bit of an advantage but Jamison played into his hands by zoning too far off .  Unfortunately, Jamison doesn't have the acceleration to cover the space he gave Buddy.  One of Buddy's marks against Jamison came from a rebound after a turnover.  That was in the first quarter when Buddy gave Heeney an easy goal.

After watching the replay, I suspect that my criticism of Jamison was probably not entirely justified.  We are playing a team defence and one player over committing or giving up too much space makes it harder for everyone else.  Jamison and Rowe were put under extra pressure at times by their team-mates.  However, I do think that Jamison's shoulders and/or his conscious or subconscious concerns about them have reduced his ability to mark and spoil.

Even with Jamison and Rowe's faults, I think that it is important that they continue to hold down the key defensive posts and allow Weitering the opportunity to use his ability to read the play, take intercept marks and provide run out of defence.  I can't see Plowman displacing either of them but he could be an upgrade on White (although White's hardness is admirable).
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #272
The reason we got caught out with buddy is because we turned the ball over when we shouldn't have.
Can't blame Jamo for that as he is doing as required and pushing forward. Unfortunate that we are not as skilled as the hawks and that gameplan might not work as well for us.

I wish that were true. The ball transitioned out of our forward line. Wasn't a quick turnover that caught our defenders out. Pathetic stuff. Rowe did exactly the same.

I'm not critical of this so much or Jamo's shoulders. It was when he had an easy opportunity to pick the ball up and handball it to a teammate. Instead he twice tried to get it over the boundary without giving away a free simply because Buddy was around. So intent on not failing that he failed.

He's mentally beaten before he walks onto the park most games.

Reply #273
I wish that were true. The ball transitioned out of our forward line. Wasn't a quick turnover that caught our defenders out. Pathetic stuff. Rowe did exactly the same.

I'm not critical of this so much or Jamo's shoulders. It was when he had an easy opportunity to pick the ball up and handball it to a teammate. Instead he twice tried to get it over the boundary without giving away a free simply because Buddy was around. So intent on not failing that he failed.

He's mentally beaten before he walks onto the park most games.

There's no doubt Jamo was off his game but he looked more confused than anything else. I think he's really struggling to adapt to the new game plan and structures. Anyway, whatever the problems are, he needs to get over them pdq.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #274
horses for courses? At 193cm, Plowman as tall as Riewoldt, 1cm less than Jamo......has he ever played inside F50?

Plowman can play back, midfield, froward.

He is a jet IMHO. Just gotta get his body right!

Midfield/Forward might be his go.

May start down back to get into the swing of things.

Reply #275
We talk about the lack of confidence, re Jamo , Rowe & other senior players etc , I wonder if anything has to do with the lack of success overall at the club in the last few years &  the removing /leaving of many of there team mates? I am sure it must have some impact? Thats where I believe we may have cut to the bone a little to much  re the player cull , lack of experience , I would think that would impact somehow? Thoughts?

Reply #276
We talk about the lack of confidence, re Jamo , Rowe & other senior players etc , I wonder if anything has to do with the lack of success overall at the club in the last few years &  the removing /leaving of many of there team mates? I am sure it must have some impact? Thats where I believe we may have cut to the bone a little to much  re the player cull , lack of experience , I would think that would impact somehow? Thoughts?

On the money. Any workplace where standards are low, morale is down and performance is dismal breeds more of the same. Players are not automatons, they respond to each other and the prevailing mood. For our defenders, it is especially hard having been on the receiving end of some frightful scores against over the years.

Getting a new coach is great, like getting a new director or general manager in charge of 100 odd staff. But the time that it takes to weed out the real bad apples (see Yarran, henderson et al) and start to turn others around is more than a few months of an off season. Players have to buy in, to understand the new requirements and to have confidence in the new mantra and then each other. They can rise to this challenge or not. It takes time and is a hard grind. Maintaining this momentum among an otherwise disparate group of people is why the best managers are paid a lot.

Bolton's language is straight out of the modern management playbook of expressing clarity of goals, and seeking commitment from his staff (players) and then judging them by their actions (performance on and off the field). Players should have a sense and understanding about what is expected of them; a pathway of sorts to follow.

Jamo and Rowe will be assessed and will either measure up over time or they wont. But we shouldnt underestimate how deflating the past few years have been. If I went to work each day confident that I was not going to succeed much then i am going to struggle for confidence and the risk taking that success requires.

Reply #277
A big factor is for each individual to build trust with all those around them and thereby build their own confidence to really push the envelope without fear, knowing you will be praised when you succeed and be supported rather than crucified when setbacks occur. Developing this type of culture can be a very powerful magnifier of team performance and I think BB subscribes to that approach but has to overcome years of it not being the case at CFC.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #278
On the money. Any workplace where standards are low, morale is down and performance is dismal breeds more of the same. Players are not automatons, they respond to each other and the prevailing mood. For our defenders, it is especially hard having been on the receiving end of some frightful scores against over the years.

Getting a new coach is great, like getting a new director or general manager in charge of 100 odd staff. But the time that it takes to weed out the real bad apples (see Yarran, henderson et al) and start to turn others around is more than a few months of an off season. Players have to buy in, to understand the new requirements and to have confidence in the new mantra and then each other. They can rise to this challenge or not. It takes time and is a hard grind. Maintaining this momentum among an otherwise disparate group of people is why the best managers are paid a lot.

Bolton's language is straight out of the modern management playbook of expressing clarity of goals, and seeking commitment from his staff (players) and then judging them by their actions (performance on and off the field). Players should have a sense and understanding about what is expected of them; a pathway of sorts to follow.

Jamo and Rowe will be assessed and will either measure up over time or they wont. But we shouldnt underestimate how deflating the past few years have been. If I went to work each day confident that I was not going to succeed much then i am going to struggle for confidence and the risk taking that success requires.
Well put Vivian this will put the blow torch on who is left to work & embrace the new program, or go by the way side. Hope it's the earlier option but worried about Jamo, seems rudderless at the moment .