Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge: Carlton vs. Sydney at Etihad (Read 59487 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NAB Challenge: Carlton vs. Sydney at Etihad

Reply #30
That was under the previous regime, not sure if you noticed but not many goals were scored with our prehistoric gameplan. I would venture to say that pound for pound our midfielders still kicked their share of goals.

I don't know if you have noticed but in the first 2 NAB games under an all new regime nothing has changed. Hence why we're discussing it.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #31
I'm safely assuming those are 2015 stats ?

Just as an example, Murph kicked 22 in 2011.

and 11 in 2012, yes it happened.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #32
I don't know if you have noticed but in the first 2 NAB games under an all new regime nothing has changed. Hence why we're discussing it.

I don't know if you've noticed, but none of those midfielders you've mentioned have played in the NAB Cup as yet other than Curnow who has never been an offensive midfielder.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #34
I don't know if you've noticed, but none of those midfielders you've mentioned have played in the NAB Cup as yet other than Curnow who has never been an offensive midfielder.

You're just highlighting what I'm saying, our midfielders don't kick goals.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #35
Not sure if you noticed, but Murphy missed a large chunk of games in 2012.

Murphy

2015: 19 games, 7 goals
2014: 20 games, 10 goals
2013: 23 games, 18 goals
2012: 16 games 11 goals
2011: 24 games, 22 goals

Gibbs

2015: 10 games, 4 goals
2014: 22 games, 18 goals
2013: 21 games, 11 goals
2012: 22 games, 8 goals
2011: 23 games, 21 goals

Carrazzo

2015: 16 games, 1 goal
2014: 14 games, 0 goals
2013: 10 games, 1 goal
2012: 14 games, 5 goals
2011: 18 games, 5 goals

Curnow

2015: 22 games, 0 goals
2014: 15 games, 2 goals
2013: 21 games, 6 goals
2012: 18 games, 0 goals
2011: 12 games, 3 goals

Judd

2015: 8 games, 4 goals
2014: 12 games, 7 goals
2013: 20 games, 11 goals
2012: 17 games, 13 goals
2011: 24 games, 14 goals

(Interesting Judd's highest tally for Carlton (15 in 2008) was equal with his worst tally at the Eagles (15 in 2005). He kicked 20+ in every other year at West Coast.)

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #36
You're just highlighting what I'm saying, our midfielders don't kick goals.

I'd play Gibbs as a forward who runs on the ball every now and then rather than the other way round, kicked goals for Glenelg but we have never used him forward enough...even played FF there.

Kerridge is a goal kicking mid as is Graham......

I think Murphy is another player who needs to spend some more time forward as a forward pocket goalsneak to get away from taggers and we need to get away from the Gibbs/Murphy midfield setup and  re-design our onball division...

When Plowman is fit I would use him in the middle..big bodied hard working type who can carry the ball Josh Kennedy style, GWS were trying to develop him in that role but when you have Treloar and Sheil there wasnt any room for him on a regular basis...

Reply #37
Murphy has shown (and the goal kicking stats back it up) that he plays better and kicks more goals in a better team. He's just not a guy you can depend on when the chips are down like a Judd or a Fevola.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #38
Having a quick look , I believe we have only a couple of players who's career average is 1 goal or more , and one of them is Jones !!!!!
Cant see how they will change the kicking boots now?

Reply #39
Murphy has shown (and the goal kicking stats back it up) that he plays better and kicks more goals in a better team. He's just not a guy you can depend on when the chips are down like a Judd or a Fevola.
And thats another sad part unfortunately , as much as I am a fan Murphy fan , he does go missing at times when we need it

Reply #40
Murphy's too small to be played as inside mid / 1st receiver.

Needs to be played as more outside / 2nd receiver, as he was in 2011.

Reply #41

Wrong. He kicks more goals with an attacking gameplan, hence his figures under Ratts were far better (other than 2012 when he missed a large chunk of games).
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #42
Agree Murphy is a potential all australian wingman. Mediocre midfielder.

Reply #43
Agree Murphy is a potential all australian wingman. Mediocre midfielder.
Isnt a wingman considered a midfielder?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #44
Isnt a wingman considered a midfielder?

I think the terminology and nomenclature for field positions in AFL isn't as precise as it could be.

If you use the diagram from Wikipedia :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_rules_football_positions

I would say the real inside mids are only the centre, rover and ruck rover. Basically the first receivers, which is not suited to Murph IMO.