Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge: Carlton vs. Sydney at Etihad (Read 59958 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NAB Challenge: Carlton vs. Sydney at Etihad

Reply #60
whiley could be my 2016 whipping boy but we will judge him after 2 games

Reply #61
Doc, touhey, wright, Buckley aren't mids. Whiley.... jury is still out but only just. He has been way off the pace in preseason.

We need a Sumner, Plowman, etc. To really come good. Like cripps did last year. Without a few of our younger guys becoming stars we're stuffed i think.

Wright not a mid...do some basic research son.....ffs.

The others are as much mids as anyone other player with a roaming commission in any team.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #62

Listed as such on the official cfc website :

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/player-profile/matthew-wright

The title classifies him as a midfielder, and the description says inside midfielder / forward.

Reply #63
Silvagni thinks Wright is a midfielder  :)

Carlton has added experience to its list after signing delisted free agent Matthew Wright.

The 25-year-old former Crow played 94 games for Adelaide after being recruited through the 2009 Rookie Draft.

Carlton’s General Manager of List Management and Strategy Stephen Silvagni says Wright will add to Carlton’s depth.

“Matthew is an inside midfielder-forward with clean hands who’s a good set shot and quick around the packs,” Silvagni said.

“Importantly, he’s also a quality person who will bring experience and leadership to our team.

“With Matthew, our new draftees and the players we secured through the trade period, our list is taking shape.

“We believe we’ve got some terrific talent through the door and now we’re looking forward to seeing our list grow and develop under coach Brendon Bolton.”

An inside mid who is handy around the goals is just what we need.  It would be nice to see him do well against the Swans next week.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #65
This guy will be regular starting 22 for us, alongside Kerridge.

Anyone who thinks our 2016 midfield will lack grunt, think again.....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #66
Good player is Matt Wright, kicks goals and can find the footy..only reason he like Kerridgee didnt get more game time is the Crows strong onball division..Thompson, Dangerman and Sloane didnt leave much room for anyone else and Wright was fighting for game time...
I think he will start forward and get some time on the ball...

Reply #67
I'd play Gibbs as a forward who runs on the ball every now and then rather than the other way round, kicked goals for Glenelg but we have never used him forward enough...even played FF there.

Kerridge is a goal kicking mid as is Graham......

I think Murphy is another player who needs to spend some more time forward as a forward pocket goalsneak to get away from taggers and we need to get away from the Gibbs/Murphy midfield setup and  re-design our onball division...

When Plowman is fit I would use him in the middle..big bodied hard working type who can carry the ball Josh Kennedy style, GWS were trying to develop him in that role but when you have Treloar and Sheil there wasnt any room for him on a regular basis...

Yeah, love this setup and think it is the way to go.

I tend to agree with the Murphy/Gibbs be all end all type of setup.

We have to become more creative, develop more blokes and put the acid on other guys to take our great football club to the next level.

Reply #68

The others are as much mids as anyone other player with a roaming commission in any team.....

Eddie Betts goes into the centre square occasionally but you wouldn't classify him as a mid.

Wright does a stint here or there in the middle but he's a flanker / forward pocket predominantly. He also played forward flank in the Tassy game.

You've listed Touhey and Docherty as mids but I need to do some basic research?

And why ffffffs are you so angry?

Reply #69
This guy will be regular starting 22 for us, alongside Kerridge.

Anyone who thinks our 2016 midfield will lack grunt, think again.....

Agree...Kerridge and Wright are ready to go players...Wright is a capable goalkicker and has some grunt to his game which I think will see him in the team ahead of Lamb, Smith, Sumner etc..

Reply #70
Can we please not select Liam Jones for this game?

Reply #72
I get the feeling Wood will be in front of Phillips by round 5 as the preferred 2nd ruck.

Reply #73
I get the feeling Wood will be in front of Phillips by round 5 as the preferred 2nd ruck.

I think that Wood's in front of Phillips now.  Capuano wasn't impressed with the performances of Phillips and Gorringe against Essendon and they are running out of time to make an impression.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #74
Wasn't the plan to try Gorringe elsewhere to the ruck? This may be more pressing now that MacKay is injured.
Reality always wins in the end.